The Student Room Group

Coefficient of friction help!

A particle is projected with an initial speed of 8m/s across a rough horizontal surface and comes to rest 10m from its starting point.

Calculate the coefficient of friction between the particle and the surface.

Okay, so far I've worked out the acceleration using v^2=u^2+2as and I worked this out to be -3.2 which makes sense as it's slowing down.

But I'm not sure what else I need to work out or do to enable me to find the coefficient of friction as ideally I would need to know the mass of the particle so that I can find R but I'm not sure how I can find this.

Any help would be much appreciated thank you! :smile:
you can now work out the friction force using F = ma

once you know the friction you can find the coefficient of friction in the usual way.
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
you can now work out the friction force using F = ma

once you know the friction you can find the coefficient of friction in the usual way.

I'm not sure how I would know the value of F or m?
Reply 3
use coefficient of friction = a/g and use the value of a you found from SUVAT
Reply 4
Original post by Ben-2000
use coefficient of friction = a/g and use the value of a you found from SUVAT

not heard of this equation before - I'm doing a level maths, what does a/g stand for?
Original post by leverarch
I'm not sure how I would know the value of F or m?

There is only a frictional force of μR-\mu R acting in the opposite direction to motion. We can denote R=mgR = mg and hence the frictional force is μmg-\mu mg.

Due to N2L, as this is the only force acting on the particle, we have that it's equal to ma=3.2mma = -3.2m.

Hence you have μmg=3.2m-\mu m g = -3.2 m
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
There is only a frictional force of μR-\mu R acting in the opposite direction to motion. We can denote R=mgR = mg and hence the frictional force is μmg-\mu mg.

Due to N2L, as this is the only force acting on the particle, we have that it's equal to ma=3.2mma = -3.2m.

Hence you have μmg=3.2m-\mu m g = -3.2 m

sorry really dumb question but what does N2L mean?
Original post by leverarch
sorry really dumb question but what does N2L mean?

Newton's 2nd Law (of motion)
Reply 8
I'm doing A-level maths as well. It's not an equation you're given but you derive it from F = ma and F = (Mu)R.

You can then say ma = (Mu)R

Substitute R as R = mg

ma = (Mu)mg

Mass then cancels and rearranging gives Mu = a/g, where a = acceleration and g = gravity.

In this case that formula works but it doesn't always work, (normally when you're resolving with more than one force) but idk the exact rule

PS: Mu = coefficient of friction represented by the Greek letter, pretty sure it's pronounced "Mu" aha 😂
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
Newton's 2nd Law (of motion)

Ah I understand it now, makes perfect sense thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest