The Student Room Group

Mechanics A level Edexcel Question Connected Particles

Could someone please help me on this question? I worked out the tension assuming that the motion was towards Q but the mark scheme had a different answer and they did assuming motion was towards P. I'm sure you're meant to have the same answer either way but I don't know where I am going wrong? Could someone please work out the tension assuming the motion is towards Q i.e. P is accelerating up the slope and Q is accelerating down? Thanks!

Two particles P of mass 6 kg and Q of mass 2 kg are connected by a light inextensible string. The string passes over a smooth pulley fixed at the top of a wedge.
One face of the wedge is smooth and inclined at an angle of 30° to the horizontal. The other face of the wedge is rough and inclined at an angle of 45° to the horizontal.
P lies on the smooth face and the string connecting the particles is taut. The coefficient of friction between Q and the rough face is 0.3.
Reply 1
Original post by Allmight123
Could someone please help me on this question? I worked out the tension assuming that the motion was towards Q but the mark scheme had a different answer and they did assuming motion was towards P. I'm sure you're meant to have the same answer either way but I don't know where I am going wrong? Could someone please work out the tension assuming the motion is towards Q i.e. P is accelerating up the slope and Q is accelerating down? Thanks!

Two particles P of mass 6 kg and Q of mass 2 kg are connected by a light inextensible string. The string passes over a smooth pulley fixed at the top of a wedge.
One face of the wedge is smooth and inclined at an angle of 30° to the horizontal. The other face of the wedge is rough and inclined at an angle of 45° to the horizontal.
P lies on the smooth face and the string connecting the particles is taut. The coefficient of friction between Q and the rough face is 0.3.

I have attached the question and the mark scheme, when I find the tension (assuming motion is towards Q) I get 14.6N
I have attached the question and the mark scheme, when I find the tension (assuming motion is towards Q) I get 14.6N

Post your working out.
Reply 3
3FB05C6E-9553-4393-9421-11DC2BD0A91E.jpeg Here it is!
Reply 4

Its obviously due to the sign of the friction term as your solution is in the opposite direction which will affect the behaviour.

Id think of it as a simple connected system with no friction to begin with and as, fairly trivially,
6g sin(30) > 2g sin(45)
then motion will be towards P and friction on Q will act down the slope. You have it acting up the slope.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
Its obviously due to the sign of the friction term as your solution is in the opposite direction which will affect the behaviour.

Id think of it as a simple connected system with no friction to begin with and as, fairly trivially,
6g sin(30) > 2g sin(45)
then motion will be towards P and friction on Q will act down the slope. You have it acting up the slope.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest