The Student Room Group

Transformer Q (physics)

There was this one question about transformers and that the coils have to be separated and connected to an iron core, why is that?
I don't understand this question.
Original post by liaente
There was this one question about transformers and that the coils have to be separated and connected to an iron core, why is that?
Reply 2
well the coils are twisted around the iron thing, right?
....there was a q like that....i'm not sure anymore
Original post by confusedteen2403
Original post by liaente

Have to be connected to an iron core as the wires cause the core to be magnetized. The magnetic field produced by the magnetized iron causes a current to flow in the secondary coil.

sorry not sure if that's too in depth for gcse sorry
Reply 4
GOT IT
why current does not flow in core?
So, I just searched this up, this is actually A-level content. At GCSE level I think you only need to know about how the iron core is magnetised and demagnetised quickly, this creates a changing magnetic field which causes current to be induced in the secondary coil. (The generator effect)
Original post by liaente
GOT IT
why current does not flow in core?
Reply 6
I'm itching to know, and it's weird because I did a practice paper weeks ago and it asked that kind of question.
So, I just searched this up, this is actually A-level content. At GCSE level I think you only need to know about how the iron core is magnetised and demagnetised quickly, this creates a changing magnetic field which causes current to be induced in the secondary coil. (The generator effect)
So, the wires in the primary and secondary coil don't actually come into contact with the transformer because they are insulated, meaning that current is not passed on. However the magnetic field still interacts with the iron core which gets magnetised. Thank you for asking because now I know a simple explanation for this as well.
Original post by liaente
I'm itching to know, and it's weird because I did a practice paper weeks ago and it asked that kind of question.
Reply 8
Thanks very much, and you're welcome.
Are you proud that I picked myself up after believing I will fail? lmao...
So, the wires in the primary and secondary coil don't actually come into contact with the transformer because they are insulated, meaning that current is not passed on. However the magnetic field still interacts with the iron core which gets magnetised. Thank you for asking because now I know a simple explanation for this as well.
Yes, I guess my motivational speech helped :wink:
Original post by liaente
Thanks very much, and you're welcome.
Are you proud that I picked myself up after believing I will fail? lmao...
Reply 10
Which one?
Yes, I guess my motivational speech helped :wink:
I should be asking you that...which one was the most effective?

Quick Reply

Latest