The Student Room Group

2020 Teach First Official Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FolkPixie
will do :smile: I'm quite looking forward to it now, more nervous about travelling & the logistics of it!
I used my time before this week to really swot up on the competencies and on Teach First....planning the lesson and refining it to be only 7 minutes has taken me much longer than i thought (though i don't have much spare time to do it) so im glad i prepared as much as i could before x

Good luck today
Thank you I didnt get a spot but it was a really enjoyable day and genuinely glad I had the experience...waiting on feedback. Good luck to the rest of you!
Reply 42
Original post by arco1989
Assessment centre a week tomorrow... hopefully get my lesson topics soon

How are you feeling about the topics?
Original post by zeellis

I had hoped one would stand out. I’m thinking maths or English KS2 but want to do some research. What about you?
Reply 44
I'm probably gonna go with KS3 Biology. I think I'm gonna struggle with 7 minutes haha
7 minutes is tough. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed about the whole thing to be honest. I’ve had a few negative comments towards wanting to go into teaching. Need to get cracking with all my prep. How are you getting there on the day?
Reply 46
7 minutes is tough. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed about the whole thing to be honest. I’ve had a few negative comments towards wanting to go into teaching. Need to get cracking with all my prep. How are you getting there on the day?

Me too... Oh really? That sucks. I'm getting a coach the day before and staying the night then getting the train in the morning. what about you?
I’m getting the train in the morning. Think I get into st Pancras at 8:45 so should have enough time to get to Greenwich. It’s going to be a long day but I’m looking forward to it. Then will hopefully find out quickly if successful or not
Reply 48
Yeah, I'm hoping to find out quickly after. I'm so nervous
Nerves won’t hit me until I’m actually there. I’ve heard it’s a friendly day so hopefully the nerves will settle quickly. I’ve not started any lesson prep yet so need to get a wriggle on

I understand it seems very overwhelming, I for sure was very overwhelmed when I was prepping for my selection day, however, once your there, and get chatting to everyone, you’ll soon see that everyone is feeling the same or similar, you’ll soon feel relaxed. And the lesson, even though it may seem the most daunting as 7 minutes is not a long time, but for me it was the best part of the day, just be engaging, be yourself, be passionate and attentive, you’ll do great 😊
Original post by laurenjade24
I understand it seems very overwhelming, I for sure was very overwhelmed when I was prepping for my selection day, however, once your there, and get chatting to everyone, you’ll soon see that everyone is feeling the same or similar, you’ll soon feel relaxed. And the lesson, even though it may seem the most daunting as 7 minutes is not a long time, but for me it was the best part of the day, just be engaging, be yourself, be passionate and attentive, you’ll do great 😊

Thank you. I appreciate it. I’m usually a calm, relaxed and fairly confident person. Hopefully when I feel more prepared I will relax a little more. It’s definitely very exciting 😊
It's a very nice, co-operative atmosphere on the day because everyone is in the same boat and you're not in competition with each other...

I really struggled with the 7 minutes and it's the lesson where I fell down mostly....the main thing I took away from it is to stick to your plan! Mine went out of the window ....

I really enjoyed the day though and it was a good experience

Best of luck! X
Original post by sophie_ventures
Just got an offer for Maths in the North East - is anybody else doing the same or in the same region?

I’m a little gutted because I’d really wanted to be closer to London or down south, but I’m still so so excited to be on the programme!

Congratulations! When was your assessment centre ??
Congratulations! Did they call you to tell you you'd got an offer or was it by email?
I'm sorry you didn't get a spot, did they tell you via email or over the phone? Did it take them long to get back to you? Thanks!
Well done those who have got through and I’m sorry to hear about those who didn’t.

I had my call with my advisor and she really helped me decide which lesson to go for.
Original post by hjones1993
I'm sorry you didn't get a spot, did they tell you via email or over the phone? Did it take them long to get back to you? Thanks!

Via email....found out a week after. They do seem very efficient with everything....I got given an email to request feedback which I've done and I've been given a time for when they're going to call me x
Thanks for your help!
Original post by zeellis

How are you getting on with your lesson plan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending