The Student Room Group

How to become food tech teacher?

I have just finished GCSEs and want to become a food tech teacher, but a lot of uni courses only accept A-levels and I am not doing them. Does anyone have any advice or should I try to seek other help?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Haylen_4802
I have just finished GCSEs and want to become a food tech teacher, but a lot of uni couches only accept A-levels and I am not doing them. Does anyone have any advice or should I try to seek other help?

What courses will you be doing? You need to get a degree.
Reply 2
I have just finished GCSEs and want to become a food tech teacher, but a lot of uni courses only accept A-levels and I am not doing them. Does anyone have any advice or should I try to seek other help?

You need to do A-levels and then you need a degree to be a teacher on top of getting 5s or 6s in English and Maths. Food Tech usually comes under Design and Technology so that is the route you need to take. That said, there are job opportunities for teaching cooking in a variety of commercial settings for which you would need a catering or chef qualification which many colleges offer.
Reply 3

Are you going to be doing a level 3 qualification? Most unis say A-Level or equivalent, so I assume you're possibly doing the Diploma in Food Science and Nutrition?

You will need level 3 to go to university to get the degree you need to do your PGCE. There aren't many unis that offer the Food Tech PGCE any more despite the fact we are so desperate for teachers and have more jobs than applicants (one of the lowest recruited PGCEs of the in-need subjects).

I'm a newly qualified Food Tech Teacher who has just started at my first school. I have no A levels and my Level 3 qualification is in Childcare and Education. I did my Nutrition and Public Health degree at Sheffield Hallam (a course no longer offered) and my PGCE in Design and Technology (Food) there too; which was separate to just Design and Technology.

Their Food and Nutrition degree requires 104 UCAS points, including 64 points from two A levels or equivalent or an alternative qualification such as an Access course.
Their Human Health and Nutrition degree requires 104 UCAS points, including 64 points from two A levels, including a relevant Science subject such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Applied Science, Mathematics, Geology, Psychology or Sport Science or equivalent, or an alternative qualification such as an Access course.

So you need to look at the universities you are interested in and see what they want from you.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Original post by ChammyFTT
Are you going to be doing a level 3 qualification? Most unis say A-Level or equivalent, so I assume you're possibly doing the Diploma in Food Science and Nutrition?
You will need level 3 to go to university to get the degree you need to do your PGCE. There aren't many unis that offer the Food Tech PGCE any more despite the fact we are so desperate for teachers and have more jobs than applicants (one of the lowest recruited PGCEs of the in-need subjects).
I'm a newly qualified Food Tech Teacher who has just started at my first school. I have no A levels and my Level 3 qualification is in Childcare and Education. I did my Nutrition and Public Health degree at Sheffield Hallam (a course no longer offered) and my PGCE in Design and Technology (Food) there too; which was separate to just Design and Technology.
Their Food and Nutrition degree requires 104 UCAS points, including 64 points from two A levels or equivalent or an alternative qualification such as an Access course.
Their Human Health and Nutrition degree requires 104 UCAS points, including 64 points from two A levels, including a relevant Science subject such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Applied Science, Mathematics, Geology, Psychology or Sport Science or equivalent, or an alternative qualification such as an Access course.
So you need to look at the universities you are interested in and see what they want from you.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hiya,

I hope you don’t mind me asking, please could you share more of what a typical day/week looks like for you as a newly qualified food tech teacher.

I am currently a qualified social worker, but I am very interested in becoming a food tech teacher. My job is very stressful, I work very long hours and do lots of overtime, to the point where I often don’t have evenings to myself and I am on my laptop until 10pm at night. I was wondering how this compares to being a food tech teacher, what sort of hours you work and whether you work lots of overtime and on the weekends. I am hesitant that I don’t want to go from one stressful job to another, even if I really want to become a food tech teacher!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your time 🙂
Original post by bbiscuit123
Hiya,
I hope you don’t mind me asking, please could you share more of what a typical day/week looks like for you as a newly qualified food tech teacher.
I am currently a qualified social worker, but I am very interested in becoming a food tech teacher. My job is very stressful, I work very long hours and do lots of overtime, to the point where I often don’t have evenings to myself and I am on my laptop until 10pm at night. I was wondering how this compares to being a food tech teacher, what sort of hours you work and whether you work lots of overtime and on the weekends. I am hesitant that I don’t want to go from one stressful job to another, even if I really want to become a food tech teacher!
Thanks so much, I really appreciate your time 🙂

So, as an ECT1 I teach 20 out of 25 lessons per week - ECT1 you get 10% PPA (Planning, Preparation and Assessment time) and 10% ECT time, this drops to 5% ECT time in second year and 0% after ECT - you always get 10% PPA.

My contract is 8:15-3:15 every day except Tuesdays where it is until 4:15 for departmental meetings and CPD. Some Tuesdays it's extended until 5:15 and then there are other times such as parent's evenings where you stay longer. But outside of those times, I can come and go as I want. I get to work around 7:30 and usually leave between 3:30 and 4 - depending how bad the last cooking lesson of the day has been to help my technician clean up.

I have 6 KS3 classes which are double lessons (2hrs) and I share one of them with another DT teacher so I don't go over my teaching hours. I have 1 Y10 class and 2 Y11 classes (1 double and a single lesson each week). I also have a form 5 mornings a week and do two break duties.

I don't like to have to do anything at home, so I avoid it as much as possible and try to do everything in that extra time outside my contracted hours or in my PPA time. This is going to change after Easter because I have a lot of Y11 coursework to mark so, I either go in during my Easter break or stay later to do it (this cannot be taken home with me).

I can't advise whether it will be more or less stressful for you than your current job. Every school and every person is different. Things that can affect it are how well planned and prepared the department is, whether you are the sole food teacher, do you have to teach and mark any other subjects, and how many KS4 classes you have (as they'll all have at least one massive piece of coursework to mark - some courses it's two).

If I do any work at home then it's an hour or two maximum to plan a lesson that hasn't been planned or prepared yet. It's not often, but I promised myself that I would have as much of my time to myself when I became a teacher.

I hope this helps.
Original post by ChammyFTT
So, as an ECT1 I teach 20 out of 25 lessons per week - ECT1 you get 10% PPA (Planning, Preparation and Assessment time) and 10% ECT time, this drops to 5% ECT time in second year and 0% after ECT - you always get 10% PPA.
My contract is 8:15-3:15 every day except Tuesdays where it is until 4:15 for departmental meetings and CPD. Some Tuesdays it's extended until 5:15 and then there are other times such as parent's evenings where you stay longer. But outside of those times, I can come and go as I want. I get to work around 7:30 and usually leave between 3:30 and 4 - depending how bad the last cooking lesson of the day has been to help my technician clean up.
I have 6 KS3 classes which are double lessons (2hrs) and I share one of them with another DT teacher so I don't go over my teaching hours. I have 1 Y10 class and 2 Y11 classes (1 double and a single lesson each week). I also have a form 5 mornings a week and do two break duties.
I don't like to have to do anything at home, so I avoid it as much as possible and try to do everything in that extra time outside my contracted hours or in my PPA time. This is going to change after Easter because I have a lot of Y11 coursework to mark so, I either go in during my Easter break or stay later to do it (this cannot be taken home with me).
I can't advise whether it will be more or less stressful for you than your current job. Every school and every person is different. Things that can affect it are how well planned and prepared the department is, whether you are the sole food teacher, do you have to teach and mark any other subjects, and how many KS4 classes you have (as they'll all have at least one massive piece of coursework to mark - some courses it's two).
If I do any work at home then it's an hour or two maximum to plan a lesson that hasn't been planned or prepared yet. It's not often, but I promised myself that I would have as much of my time to myself when I became a teacher.
I hope this helps.

This is a really honest, insightful and helpful post by @ChammyFTT. I will be sure to use this with students I am supporting. Thank you!
Tom
Get Into Teaching Adviser
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending