The Student Room Group

UCL PGCE Thread

Hi,

Just thought I would make a thread to connect other offer holders for UCL IOE's PGCE, both primary and Secondary so we can all chat!

I have accepted a place on the languages PGCE to start in 2024, and I can't wait for September to roll around!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by eddieh23
Hi,

Just thought I would make a thread to connect other offer holders for UCL IOE's PGCE, both primary and Secondary so we can all chat!

I have accepted a place on the languages PGCE to start in 2024, and I can't wait for September to roll around!

Congratulations eddieh23, I also got a conditional offer for PGCE-SCIENCE(Physics) Secondary
Reply 2
I got my offer from UCL on the Primary PGCE course!! I have one more interview but I think I might accept the UCL offer!!

I thought I'd share the interview process for any future applicants:

[English audit, 1 hour]
Read a piece of text and create a blog post
[Math audit, 45 mins]
Honestly cannot remember a thing

[Group presentation, 2 mins]
I selected an article from the Telegraph called “We are in danger of creating a nation of lost Einsteins” which highlights the lack of leadership in schools causing a dominion effect towards wider society. Therefore, the article raises the huge importance of schooling and exposure to role models in fulfilling one's potential.

As a teacher, I can address the challenges highlighted in the article by prioritizing the education of my pupils and adapting their learning to the needs of wider society. I will set high expectations for my students, inspiring and motivating them to reach their full potential. A crucial component of the teachers’ standards that the article raises for.

Additionally, I will go beyond the classroom by bringing in more visitors, showcasing relevant real-world examples and my experiences of travelling to expose my students to success stories and different communities. To plan this effectively I would create a schema in lesson planning to help students arrange these ideas and role models to provide sense and relevance to their prior knowledge.

Exposing them to real-world examples of success, within and beyond the classroom, provides children with another perceived path for themselves and creates a safe and stimulating environment that will also be crucial in ensuring that my students can thrive academically and personally.
^^ This was my notes for the presentation ^^

One thing I noticed from the other people is they focused a lot on their chosen current issue in Primary Education rather than their reflections on the implications as a new teacher. This avoided the purpose of the presentation since they wanted to see how you would consider these issues in your practices.

The interviewers would already know of some of the issues you'll bring up and statistics, I was the only one who talked about an article, which they never heard of. Show your enthusiasm as an educator and what you'll bring to your new classroom, this is the section of the presentation you should focus more on.

Have fun with it, I know it's such a stereotypical thing to say but I feel like because of how unserious I was and enthusiastic I was It was a portrayal of how I'll be as a primary school teacher.

Lastly, I was the second person to present in that interview but even though you finished early make sure you're engaged with everyone else's presentations, I did those to remember everyone's names and ideas as this will be useful to take into the collaborative task.

[Collaborative task, 12 mins]
Imagine you're in a meeting together as future teachers to discuss an outdoor lesson plan for a year 2 maths class.

Make notes of my ideas quickly

Take notes of other people's ideas

Grow and develop other people's ideas

I was kinda of worried about this because I only spoke twice and everyone was throwing in ideas so quickly I was confused about the direction of the conversation, I think one thing that helped is I noticed it and I developed someone else's idea which circled back the conversation into the right direction.

[1:1 interview, 30 mins]
- quite a common question that has come up for me in PGCE interviews
!! also please note these questions are not word-for-word
Why do you want to teach?

Draw on my experiences as an education graduate & TA

To inspire and motivate the lives of a future generation

Why do you want to teach primary?

Mentioned how the school acts as a bridge between the family and society

Importance of early years education

What makes you a good teacher?

Willingness to learn, UCL aim to teach critically reflective teachers

Strong relationship with the community

The subject you will be good at and excited to teach? and one you'll find challenging and how you'll overcome it.

What you enjoy as a student and what you can bring into the classroom

Talk about planning and preparing, seeing information from a student perspective

What are the factors of underachievement and how can they be handled?

Try to give 2 or more examples of underachievement, I gave EAL and SEN needs

Draw on experiences

How do you adapt to pressure?

Mention how you'll ask for support, I didn't mention that but they prompted me to ops…

Talked about my why and had time to reflect before taking a situation

Reply 3
Hi, I have accepted my offer for the Early Primary PGCE starting in September!
Reply 4
Hi, I have an interview for PGCE science: Biology. Just wondering about the pre written material that has to be completed. When it asks you to pick one of the big ideas does that mean the large blue heading or the slightly smaller ones. Any help would be huge, thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by Graciet434
Hi, I have an interview for PGCE science: Biology. Just wondering about the pre written material that has to be completed. When it asks you to pick one of the big ideas does that mean the large blue heading or the slightly smaller ones. Any help would be huge, thanks.

Hi! Im applying too! I think it means to pick a subsection and focus on the bullet points under that subsection. So for example i'm weak in physics so could choose 'sound waves' under the big idea "waves" and follow their cues. Have you chosen your topic for the 5 minute presentation? i'm worrying more about that at the moment.
I just accepted a place for the languages PGCE too! What languages are you doing?
Original post by eddieh23
Hi,

Congratulations Eddie! I just accepted an offer doing PGCE Secondary English
Original post by TutkuK
Hi,
I had an interview for primary PGCE at UCL. How long do they take to give you an offer?
Hi, I'm sure you did well! They told me it would take up to a week at the maximum, but I found out far sooner than that. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Hey guys. I’ve accepted my offer for a primary pgce in early jan. And I’ve been waiting to receive the dbs+occupational health checks ever since. Not sure when to expect for them to contact me ?
Original post by Sabi561
Hey guys. I’ve accepted my offer for a primary pgce in early jan. And I’ve been waiting to receive the dbs+occupational health checks ever since. Not sure when to expect for them to contact me ?

Hey, I called a couple of months ago and they said to expect info in 4-6 weeks but haven't had anything through yet. I sent a query recently so I'll let you know what they say - otherwise you could give them a call and ask 🙂 hope this helps
Original post by Sbsyahbau
Hey, I called a couple of months ago and they said to expect info in 4-6 weeks but haven't had anything through yet. I sent a query recently so I'll let you know what they say - otherwise you could give them a call and ask 🙂 hope this helps

Thank you 🤗💕

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending