The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Of these 4 people talk about (Eve, Ruby, Eve (Law Eve) and Jade), I’ve had a google and it’s relatively straightforward.

Jade definite smash, Eve Cornwell smash, Eve a tentative smash and Ruby a pass.

That’s my useful contribution of the day done.
Original post by xwikiix
I honestly see the appeal in studytubers and have gotten stuck in a binge watching hole many times but I read an article and its supposedly putting real pressure on students and worsening mental health with the sometimes unrealistic expectations. I just think some people go too far and yeah they have a right to do that and it might be what they do but at the end of the day they're putting themselves in the limelight so they should take that into consideration and be honest

I think their intentions are good and I see the appeal but we know how impressionable teenagers can be and if they see Ruby studying for 13 hours, they may feel they have to replicate that and that’s far from the case.

I’m not a fan of Ibz Mo but at least it’s refreshing to see a Studytuber from a different background and who isn’t privileged.
Original post by QueenOfFabulous
I don’t watch studytubers’ videos much but I know who they are and have watched some of their videos. For me, they can sometimes be motivational but sometimes too positive if that makes sense? I can’t exactly explain it very well eek. It can be inspiring but also pressurising.
I’ve actually met two studytubers before (coincidentally, and I went to the same school as one). My mom actually watches studytubers more than I do, especially the one I went to the same school as.

I understand what you mean by “too positive”.

They always succeed academically so one failure they continue to go on about in the sense it normalises them.

Seeing them all get consistent straight A*s is inspiring but they probably do more than is necessary.
Original post by steamed-hams
I think it’s used as a substitute for a part time job I.e ads and maybe a way to break into media industry

For sure and they’ve definitely done well for themselves in that respect.

Just feel some parts aren’t genuine though.
Original post by ComicalUsername
I believe Exeter had other incidences around this time where ibz mo said this e.g. the group chat, the monkey thing etc.

What’s the monkey thing?!

And I understand your point but think because Ibz’ audience are impressionable, people come on here and say negative things about Exeter based off his video and it’s not very helpful.

The amount of people I’ve seen on here say “don’t go to Exeter, it’s racist, watch Ibz’ Mo’s video” is quite frightening actually.
Ibz > Jade > Eve Cornwell >>>>> Eve Bennett

Eve Cornwell uses AAVE to make up for a personality... she thinks using 'wig' and 'snatched' every 5 seconds makes her a decent youtuber, plus her 'original' merch idea just confirms she's a sellout. Eve Bennett just seems much more conceited than all of them tho
Original post by jzseal
Really can't stand them. Used to watch them a lot when I was younger but so many of them are over privileged and fake. There's nothing wrong with being dedicated to study, and if you can maintain concentration for those 14 hour study days then go you.

But the issue comes when people, especially kids in year 8/9 who are no where near GCSE try to recreate these "study with me"s. I used to do it myself, to the point of wrecking my mental health and giving me such high standards that I had panic attacks in exams when I felt I wouldn't be able to get a 9. It's not realistic for everyone and the extent to which they obsess over studying is extremely problematic for people who aspire to be like them.

They (especially Ruby and Jade) have extremely privileged lives, attended private school and can take gap years with lots of foreign travel. There's nothing wrong with having money just don't present it as if it's normal. Trust me, you can't recreate that kind of study dedication when you struggle to afford textbooks. And as for private schools and private tutors, it is just out of the question for the majority of the country.

Another thing I would like to point out is their lack personality. Here I'm talking about Ruby. She seems nice and all, but incredibly fake and to me is just so bland. Neither Jade nor Ruby got into Oxford, which obviously isn't the end of the world, but it goes to show that that level of work doesn't mean you will automatically get into oxbridge! If you don't have the interesting personality to back them up, grades won't get you all that far. (Oh and Jade's cancer analogy when she was really inappropriate even though I understood the point she was trying to make).

You’ve summed up my exact feelings on them :smile:

I think their intentions are great, but they do too much and set unrealistic expectations, which aren’t healthy. 15 hour study days, getting up at 5:30am and doing some revision and the video of Ruby crying at a high 2:2 in her first essay is just slightly ridiculous. They put too much pressure on themselves which translates to their audience.

I don’t have any problem with them being privileged or travelling as they’ve probably paid for most of those opportunities themselves, although they don’t represent the typical student, which may be a problem if you want someone relatable.

Oxford is hard to get into and I would have thought Jade would have as she’s quite charismatic and genuinely seems like a lovely person, although Ruby seems a bit childish and solely focused on academics, which doesn’t make her well-rounded.

What was the cancer analogy??
Original post by Nikkix2000
What’s the monkey thing?!

And I understand your point but think because Ibz’ audience are impressionable, people come on here and say negative things about Exeter based off his video and it’s not very helpful.

The amount of people I’ve seen on here say “don’t go to Exeter, it’s racist, watch Ibz’ Mo’s video” is quite frightening actually.

I get what you mean, just thought I'd put it out there that other events occurred around the same time which may have influenced opinions.

I believe he was also messed around a bit in terms of accepting/declining his place etc. but that video was so long ago I don't really remember 😅

The monkey thing is in relation to some boys following this girl and banging on her door making monkey noises which I think happened at Exeter if my memory serves me correctly.
I've never watched them but from what's been described they seem like irritatingly posh, trust fund kids from the Home Counties who have no understanding of the world beyond their little middle class bubble.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by phantomdiarrhea

Eve Cornwell uses AAVE to make up for a personality... she thinks using 'wig' and 'snatched' every 5 seconds makes her a decent youtuber, plus her 'original' merch idea just confirms she's a sellout. Eve Bennett just seems much more conceited than all of them tho

I agree with the part on Eve Cornwell but I’m actually a fan of Eve Bennett.

She seems privileged but more genuine and relatable than the others. She goes out, opens up about problems and doesn’t seem to wake up at 5:30am to do yoga.
Original post by ComicalUsername
I get what you mean, just thought I'd put it out there that other events occurred around the same time which may have influenced opinions.

I believe he was also messed around a bit in terms of accepting/declining his place etc. but that video was so long ago I don't really remember 😅

The monkey thing is in relation to some boys following this girl and banging on her door making monkey noises which I think happened at Exeter if my memory serves me correctly.

That’s fair and think he was messed around but doesn’t correlate to racism!

Think people form an opinion on Exeter just based on his video which is a bit silly really.
Original post by Nikkix2000
You’ve summed up my exact feelings on them :smile:

I think their intentions are great, but they do too much and set unrealistic expectations, which aren’t healthy. 15 hour study days, getting up at 5:30am and doing some revision and the video of Ruby crying at a high 2:2 in her first essay is just slightly ridiculous. They put too much pressure on themselves which translates to their audience.

I don’t have any problem with them being privileged or travelling as they’ve probably paid for most of those opportunities themselves, although they don’t represent the typical student, which may be a problem if you want someone relatable.

Oxford is hard to get into and I would have thought Jade would have as she’s quite charismatic and genuinely seems like a lovely person, although Ruby seems a bit childish and solely focused on academics, which doesn’t make her well-rounded.

What was the cancer analogy??

In her original Oxford video she said something along the lines of :"It's similar to cancer (not getting into oxbridge) because no one talks about it." Like wtf?? University clearing, schools etc always talk about what you can do if things don't go to plan. I just think that even though she didn't mean it was as bad, it was a step too far to actually use cancer as an analogy for not getting into your first choice uni?
If you don't like them.why are you watching their videos honestly?
I only watch eve, ruby and jade. Out of all of them only Eve gives good advice on revision technique. Jade made 3 separate videos for her a - level subjects and just repeated the same points 'pAsT pApErS' and ruby only ever makes quizlets. Eve gives good advice and I really enjoy her videos
Original post by phantomdiarrhea

What t is "AAVE" and "wig" and "snatched"? I need to be educated. :rofl:
AAVE is African American vernacular English
What does everyone think of Holly Gabriela ? she was a cambridge studytuber who has a whole vegan shtick.
Honestly I find her content really boring and her lifestyle a little intense but her 'day in the life' videos are great background noise when i need to do something productive.
Wow i can't believe people on here actually said they would sleep with eve cornwell lmao im probably being mean but she has yellow teeth because of her coffee drinking and looks like a bloody horse not to mention that pancake ass and stupid cringy jokes she cracks out.

i also worry about her tbh i don't know if shes going to take her career seriously enough.
Original post by hibr1
Wow i can't believe people on here actually said they would sleep with eve cornwell lmao im probably being mean but she has yellow teeth because of her coffee drinking and looks like a bloody horse not to mention that pancake ass and stupid cringy jokes she cracks out.

i also worry about her tbh i don't know if shes going to take her career seriously enough.

Jesus, you really went in there 😂

And she’s with a Magic Circle firm in London at the moment, so sure her career is going just fine.
Original post by Arisapo
Jesus, you really went in there 😂

And she’s with a Magic Circle firm in London at the moment, so sure her career is going just fine.

lmao i know i went complete ***** mode there

and yeah shes done great and she manages her time well but i fear she may let this whole youtube side thing get in the way of her law career. i just can't take her seriously if i was her client but i hope she'll be fine

Latest

Trending

Trending