The Student Room Group

Physics A-level question on elastic potential energy

Describe and explain, without further calculations, the difference in the elastic potential energies in the straight wire and in the spring when a force of 5.0 N is applied to each.

Does the wire have a smaller elastic potential energy because it can't be stretched as much as a spring can and therefore won't be as deformed after reaching the elastic limit? I'm really confused.
you'd have to refer to some formula even if you don't perform a calculation.

so for example you could state that PE=1/2 k x2 and because x is squared, x is much more important than k in determining the amount of KE... so low k springs store more energy for a given force than high k springs.
Original post by stillcrying
Describe and explain, without further calculations, the difference in the elastic potential energies in the straight wire and in the spring when a force of 5.0 N is applied to each.

Does the wire have a smaller elastic potential energy because it can't be stretched as much as a spring can and therefore won't be as deformed after reaching the elastic limit? I'm really confused.

Think about the work done by the force.
Original post by Joinedup
you'd have to refer to some formula even if you don't perform a calculation.

so for example you could state that PE=1/2 k x2 and because x is squared, x is much more important than k in determining the amount of KE... so low k springs store more energy for a given force than high k springs.

I’ll go through it with my teacher I think but thank you so much.
Original post by stillcrying
I’ll go through it with my teacher I think but thank you so much.

If I don't remember wrongly it was a past OCR question and I think before this part, you were told to calculate the extension of spring and the wire.
Using the info on the extension and the clue provided by Joinedup, you should be able to come to a conclusion that the spring would have more elastic potential energy. I would suggest using the relationship of ½ Fx instead of ½ kx2 because there is only one variable that is different in ½ Fx but there are 2 variables that are different in ½ kx2.

Quick Reply

Latest