The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 3C (9FM0 3C) - 7th June 2024 [Exam Chat]

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 3C (9FM0 3C) - 7th June 2024 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 7th June 2024/ PM
Length: 1hr 30 mins

Resources:
Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics
Reply 1
Hello ,
I have done this question and got the correct answer however, i used physics knowledge E=1/2Fe in order to get the answer .
Would i be panelised for it?
Original post by sorince
Hello ,
I have done this question and got the correct answer however, i used physics knowledge E=1/2Fe in order to get the answer .
Would i be panelised for it?

It sounds the obvious way to do the question and fm does cover elastic energy so its on the spec. Writing EPE as 1/2*tension*extension is just a simple substitution.
(edited 1 week ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
It sounds the obvious way to do the question and fm does cover elastic energy so its on the spec. Writing EPE as 1/2*tension*extension is just a simple substitution.

I get what you are saying but I've never come across 1/2* tension*extension on any mark scheme or even in the content book
Original post by sorince
I get what you are saying but I've never come across 1/2* tension*extension on any mark scheme or even in the content book

Id not overthink it. The question seems 10 easy marks approached the right way, so tension=50 (3:4:5 - pythagoras) and epe = 10=1/2*50*e, so length=0.9.

EPE is essentially work done so the integral of force wrt distance. So thinking of it as 1/2*tension*extension is arguably closer to the definition than the usual form of 1/2Ke^2. You could have solved for both K and e using the tension and energy equations, though thats simpy unnecessary for the question.
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by sorince

But you have come across 1/2 ke^2, right? You can show a brief derivation of 1/2 Fe starting from 1/2 ke^2.
Reply 6
Yeah i have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending