The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
frost105
Then I hope you change your conclusions.

You're takign this all a bit seriously. I'm just saying that it has those connotations, not that the sterotype is correct.
Reply 41
sublime_envy
well thats what I believe and what my family taught me and they're all quite traditional.

Same here, i'm sticking with what I have always known. I'm glad someone else has been told the same though, and not just me.
Reply 42
frost105
Sorry I'm going all psycho! :tongue:

I'm just sick to the back teeth of having to defend that fact that I'm not a dyke but I just dont want marrigae to change my name which is a large part of my identity.

okay, that's fair enough :smile:

but i didn't make any reference to you being a dyke, or did i imply that you should have to change your name :confused: :smile:
Reply 43
Ellie4
You're takign this all a bit seriously. I'm just saying that it has those connotations, not that the sterotype is correct.

I work in a very male department so I've learnt to have to defend this quote strongly. If I'm not a dyke (a term i hate at the best of times) then I'm just being difficult.

Its immensly frustrating
Reply 44
mockel

but i didn't make any reference to you being a dyke, or did i imply that you should have to change your name :confused: :smile:

Not meaning you personally :smile:
Reply 45
frost105
I work in a very male department so I've learnt to have to defend this quote strongly. If I'm not a dyke (a term i hate at the best of times) then I'm just being difficult.

Its immensly frustrating

You don't need to defend it to me. I know that plenty of straight women who aren't feministic call themselves ms, but it's just that generally in our society it has those connotations.
lol, my moderate, reasonable and progressive post was ignored again because people would just prefer to argue. :rolleyes:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1392064&postcount=32
Reply 47
Will
lol, my moderate, reasonable and progressive post was ignored again because people would just prefer to argue. :rolleyes:

I wasn't arguing, but I did ignore your post :smile: (mainly because I wasn't interested in the thread beforehand)
Reply 48
Will

I read it I just disagreed. I dont see why we have to know if somone is married through their name. If its neccessary information then provide a tick box.
lynseyweth
Same here, i'm sticking with what I have always known. I'm glad someone else has been told the same though, and not just me.

yes I would consider it very strange to see a young Ms. It just seems very incorrect to me but then I have very traditional views on things that most people don't look to nowadays.
frost105
I read it I just disagreed. I dont see why we have to know if somone is married through their name. If its neccessary information then provide a tick box.

whats wrong with knowing that someone is married? I think marriage is a good thing and there is nothing wrong with knowing if someone is married or not. We wear wedding rings don't we?
Reply 51
sublime_envy
whats wrong with knowing that someone is married? I think marriage is a good thing and there is nothing wrong with knowing if someone is married or not. We wear wedding rings don't we?

I didnt say there is anything with being amrried I just dont that we need to be distinguished by whether we are married or not in our titles.
This has been interesting. Really I shouldnt have mocked sophie for sticking it down on her ucas form,she just fancied a change. Personally i fancy Lady as a title,that would be fab.
frost105
I didnt say there is anything with being amrried I just dont that we need to be distinguished by whether we are married or not in our titles.

I know its your opinion and Im not trying to disagree with you, Im just curious as to why you believe that. Personally I will be happy to let people know Im married because I love my fiance.
Reply 54
PublicSchoolAnn
This has been interesting. Really I shouldnt have mocked sophie for sticking it down on her ucas form,she just fancied a change. Personally i fancy Lady as a title,that would be fab.

I've always fancied Her majesty but couldnt bear being married to either Charles or William :frown:
Reply 55
sublime_envy
I know its your opinion and Im not trying to disagree with you, Im just curious as to why you believe that. Personally I will be happy to let people know Im married because I love my fiance.

Bevause if I get married it will be a personal thing between me and the boyf. It concerns no one else.
Reply 56
frost105
Bevause if I get married it will be a personal thing between me and the boyf. It concerns no one else.

So you wouldn't wear a wedding ring? Or invite anyone to your wedding?
PublicSchoolAnn

my mums a lady but it doesnt mean anything these days. You can buy the title for a few grand.
I don't actually have a problem with feminism, in its truest form; but when it manifests itself in typical (and frankly predictable) overreactions to innocuous, everyday institutions - then I start to lose patience, very quickly: many teenage girls like to immerse themselves in soapbox feminism - changing their name to Ms; flirting with the idea of lesbianism; hero(ine)-worshipping everything with a vagina that ever dared to differ; belittling the big, bad masculine oppressor...

I find the whole thing rather tedious.
Reply 59
Ellie4
So you wouldn't wear a wedding ring? Or invite anyone to your wedding?

Nope wouldnt have a wedding party. Just be me and the boyf in Bali (or someone equally fabulous) at the ceremony. And we would have these bands in platinum engraved with our names and the date.

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/wedband_lucida.asp?

Latest

Trending

Trending