The Student Room Group

Please help

Im currently practicing AQA A Level Biology and I have two teacher, ill call the C and M
I am doing well in Cs class but I am completely failing Ms class,
I feel like I do everything and nothing works, I watch videos, i have revised the textbook, I do AQA a level past papers but whenever I do Ms papers they are completely different to what I have practiced.
She says the tests are based off the textbook but the textbook barely covers anything, and leaves a lot of knowledge out. The wording of the questions is complete ******** and the mark scheme is impossible to understand.
I've found out that she uses old spec papers but I can't find any of the papers or their mark schemes online

I've tried `asking her for a link to any website where there are old spec questions (2004-2009) twice but she gave the same response every time "FocUS on tHe QuEstIonS NoT The MarK SChemE"
The mark schemes are completely different to the AQA specification so how the **** does she expect me to just practice questions if both Mark schemes will give me different results to the same questions

what even worse is that she's writing the test herself so I'm completely ****ed, most of the class get D and Cs apart from the people who's siblings went to the school before.

PLEASE does anyone have any advice that I can use, Its my Goal to work in a biochemistry course but that's looking less likely every day
hi, im sorry that your going through this.... I study biology chemistry and maths at a level and I'll be honest for chemistry and biology I would say ive taught myself because the teachers are useless. if you feel the teachers aren't helping you at all forget them. what I did is use the AQA textbook and I actually find it to be pretty good. in my opinion for AQA biology I think its the best resource to use. also use the spec to see what specific knowledge is required. A level biology questions are hard, there's no doubt about that. but what I suggest is practice as many past papers as possible. practice applying the knowledge you have learnt from the textbook. I would say the textbook is the best resource..... and btw which textbook do you use?I use the CGP aqa a level biology textbook
Reply 2
Sorry to hear about this, you could ask other teachers in the department for revision advice or past papers and you could (with some of your other classmates), put a complaint in against this teacher. If so many students are underperforming then it's obviously the teacher's issue.

In regards to revision, I find that it helps to break down the questions word by word so it may help to do that and also ask the students who do well in her class about the stuff they do to get the high marks, it'll also be worth looking at revision resources online and practice past papers from different exam boards. (Also check to see if the textbooks you use have a website or any other resources from the same brand/ company). btw if you add the file type for the mark scheme at the end, there'll be a significantly higher chance of you finding it online.

Hope this helps :smile: Good Luck!
Original post by ZomboEd
Im currently practicing AQA A Level Biology and I have two teacher, ill call the C and M
I am doing well in Cs class but I am completely failing Ms class,
I feel like I do everything and nothing works, I watch videos, i have revised the textbook, I do AQA a level past papers but whenever I do Ms papers they are completely different to what I have practiced.
She says the tests are based off the textbook but the textbook barely covers anything, and leaves a lot of knowledge out. The wording of the questions is complete ******** and the mark scheme is impossible to understand.
I've found out that she uses old spec papers but I can't find any of the papers or their mark schemes online

I've tried `asking her for a link to any website where there are old spec questions (2004-2009) twice but she gave the same response every time "FocUS on tHe QuEstIonS NoT The MarK SChemE"
The mark schemes are completely different to the AQA specification so how the **** does she expect me to just practice questions if both Mark schemes will give me different results to the same questions

what even worse is that she's writing the test herself so I'm completely ****ed, most of the class get D and Cs apart from the people who's siblings went to the school before.

PLEASE does anyone have any advice that I can use, Its my Goal to work in a biochemistry course but that's looking less likely every day

Hello @ZomboEd

I'm a second year biochemist at Lancaster University! I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with your biology teacher. The good news is that the actual exam won't be old spec (assuming its sat as normal) so revising the relevant papers should be a priority. I remember when I was revising biology I found it so difficult because I could understand an answer perfectly and just miss the key words or the one weird sentence they want you to write for maximum marks! I practised past paper questions off of Physics and Maths Tutor - so it may be worth seeing if they have any old spec papers so you can get your head around the language they prefer in answers.

I don't miss GCSE or A level biology mark schemes, very grateful to be past that point!
Good luck with your studies, if you have any questions about studying biochemistry please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador

I'm a second year biochemist at Lancaster University! I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with your biology teacher. The good news is that the actual exam won't be old spec (assuming its sat as normal) so revising the relevant papers should be a priority. I remember when I was revising biology I found it so difficult because I could understand an answer perfectly and just miss the key words or the one weird sentence they want you to write for maximum marks! I practised past paper questions off of Physics and Maths Tutor - so it may be worth seeing if they have any old spec papers so you can get your head around the language they prefer in answers.

I don't miss GCSE or A level biology mark schemes, very grateful to be past that point!
Good luck with your studies, if you have any questions about studying biochemistry please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

I’m still unsure if the teacher is going to use the new spec, they said that they may be writing the test themselves so I’m very paranoid
Original post by ZomboEd
I’m still unsure if the teacher is going to use the new spec, they said that they may be writing the test themselves so I’m very paranoid

Ah - I'm sorry to hear that. I'd make sure to thoroughly make notes on any corrections or correct answers your teacher gives in class and use your previous tests from them as revision as well as looking online to see if you can find any example past papers.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest