The Student Room Group

Why is Ellie Goulding being seen as the hero?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50819996
I’ve read many articles about the incident like the one linked above, and I’m confused as to why Ellie Goulding is ‘helping’ the driver whose car was involved in the collision with the Royal Mail vehicle. From what I’ve read, it was in fact Goulding’s driver who actually provided the assistance, so why is she the one seen as the hero?
(edited 4 years ago)
Goulding's driver is in her employ. Hence she is paying him to assist the other driver. Hence she is helping.
Reply 2
What I find annoying is people who have never driven a truck criticising the driver for not feeling the car or seeing it straight away.

These are very high up and are extremely powerful machines.
Reply 3
Original post by adam271
What I find annoying is people who have never driven a truck criticising the driver for not feeling the car or seeing it straight away.

yeah, it's clear these people have never even been in a cab before. It's unfortunate like but these things happen
Original post by Joe Frazier
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50819996
I’ve read many articles about the incident like the one linked above, and I’m confused as to why Ellie Goulding is ‘helping’ the driver whose car was involved in the collision with the Royal Mail vehicle. From what I’ve read, it was in fact Goulding’s driver who actually provided the assistance, so why is she the one seen as the hero?

Says both of them nor does it mention her as being a hero. Also she is famous and tweeted about it, which got everyones attention. Just how many articles have you read about the incident? Are you a journalist or a groupie?
Reply 5
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Goulding's driver is in her employ. Hence she is paying him to assist the other driver. Hence she is helping.

Or to put it more simply she is sponging.
Original post by adam271

He should have at the very least heard a car being scraped along the road.
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
He should have at the very least heard a car being scraped along the road.

Might of been listening to music or had headphones in.
But I can't say for sure.
I just find it annoying that social commentators who have never driven a truck criticising the driver.
Original post by adam271
Might of been listening to music or had headphones in.
But I can't say for sure.
I just find it annoying that social commentators who have never driven a truck criticising the driver.

In either of those cases it sounds like driving without due care.

If you can drive down a road while pushing a car sideways without even realising then somewhere along the line you have done something wrong.
Reply 9
In either of those cases it sounds like driving without due care.

If you can drive down a road while pushing a car sideways without even realising then somewhere along the line you have done something wrong.

What happened was probably the car driver changed into the left lane without looking. So the hgv caught it sideways and pushed it along.
This is a blindspot for the driver which is around the driver door area.

You may be right though the driver of HGV probably wasn't paying attention enough.
I suspect though fault will be given to the car driver as this type of accident almost always occurs due to a poor lane change by a car driver.

Also your allowed headphones in whilst driving. If hearing was a requirement for driving deaf people wouldn't be allowed to drive.
Original post by adam271
What happened was probably the car driver changed into the left lane without looking. So the hgv caught it sideways and pushed it along.
This is a blindspot for the driver which is around the driver door area.

You may be right though the driver of HGV probably wasn't paying attention enough.
I suspect though fault will be given to the car driver as this type of accident almost always occurs due to a poor lane change by a car driver.

Also your allowed headphones in whilst driving. If hearing was a requirement for driving deaf people wouldn't be allowed to drive.

If music or headphones affect your ability to concentrate then it can be lack of due diligence or even dangerous driving.
But your argument is he should of heard it. His ability to concentrate is not related to hearing. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure deaf people can concentrate.
So should deaf people be banned from driving?

I think statistically they are safe drivers I may be wrong though.
Original post by adam271
But your argument is he should of heard it. His ability to concentrate is not related to hearing. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure deaf people can concentrate.
So should deaf people be banned from driving?

I think statistically they are safe drivers I may be wrong though.

My argument is he should have been paying attention, if you can ram a car down a road without noticing then you aren't paying attention.

I struggle to believe that there was absolutely no indication that he hit someone and there is no way he could have known.
My argument is he should have been paying attention, if you can ram a car down a road without noticing then you aren't paying attention.

I struggle to believe that there was absolutely no indication that he hit someone and there is no way he could have known.

Only one way to find out.
Celebrity angle to a traffic story that wouldn't otherwise be very interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending