The Student Room Group

Honest opinions on nursing at Sunderland and Teeside

Hi,

I’m applying to both Teeside and Sunderland for mental health nursing. What do you think of the courses and the universities?
Original post by Catsandcake
Hi,

I’m applying to both Teeside and Sunderland for mental health nursing. What do you think of the courses and the universities?

Hey,

Congrats on securing your offers!
Are you from the North East and staying local or moving from somewhere totally new?
As a Sunderland student obviously, I can only talk about my experiences with them but all are totally positive! Is there something specific you'd like to know?
As a second year, I've loved my time so far and found my course and general time at the uni to be really good. Everyone is so supportive and friendly and living in Sunderland is actually decent- I know it gets a bit of a bad rep but there's a good mix of bars and places to eat, it's dead cheap to live here and it's only a short metro away from Newcastle. I like how it feels like a small city too, not too overwhelming like somwhere like London, and being so close to the beach is lovely.
I'm a member of a few clubs and societies and have made so many friends, any concerns you have about starting uni generally there's honestly no need.
Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

Ellie
Primary Education student
Reply 2
Thank you so much Ellie! That’s exactly what I was looking to hear! I’m from london but lived in Newcastle for years. Defo looking to go to a uni in a town small town where I can get to know more people. Somewhere a bit smaller than Newcastle. London is way too big haha. Aww that’s cool there’s a beach nearby. Is the nearest metro the university metro station? And are there a lot of events with the societies?
Hi,

Hi there,

Similarly to Ellie from Sunderland uni, I can only discuss life as a Teesside Uni student.

The campus is fantastic - I would recommend you come down and see it if you haven't already, there is such a buzz on the campus and the staff/students could be friendlier. And the health facilities are AMAZING! Middlesbrough is a town with the campus being in the centre and is a 50-minute train/car ride up to Newcastle or Leeds, which is amazing for shopping, nights out etc.

We have an upcoming clearing fair on 19 August and an open day on 9 September. I would recommend visiting our campus and Sunderland's campus to get a feel for both to make an informed decision from there. We also have students in the health school that we can connect you with if you want to discuss mental health nursing and get their opinions to help you decide?

Good luck,
T :smile:
Thank you so much Ellie! That’s exactly what I was looking to hear! I’m from london but lived in Newcastle for years. Defo looking to go to a uni in a town small town where I can get to know more people. Somewhere a bit smaller than Newcastle. London is way too big haha. Aww that’s cool there’s a beach nearby. Is the nearest metro the university metro station? And are there a lot of events with the societies?

Omg I know! I've visited a few times and always been like woahhh this is not for me haha.

Yes so you'd be based at City Campus and the university has its own metro stop, your student card also enables you to ride the university buses for free too so you can travel between the two campuses, the town in between and then anywhere else you want to go. St Peter's also has its own metro stop but it involves a short walk to the other campus but again you can just get the bus if needed. Yes the beach is literally like a 10/15 minute walk from St Peters-again the bus drops you off in the summer and it's generally just cute vibes all round haha.

Yeah so many events! I'm part of the dance and cheer society so they'll host their own events but the uni and SU put on events all year round too so theres always something going on.
Pretty easy to get to and from London from Sunderland station too :smile:
Have you attended an open day yet?
Reply 5
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Omg I know! I've visited a few times and always been like woahhh this is not for me haha.

Yes so you'd be based at City Campus and the university has its own metro stop, your student card also enables you to ride the university buses for free too so you can travel between the two campuses, the town in between and then anywhere else you want to go. St Peter's also has its own metro stop but it involves a short walk to the other campus but again you can just get the bus if needed. Yes the beach is literally like a 10/15 minute walk from St Peters-again the bus drops you off in the summer and it's generally just cute vibes all round haha.

Yeah so many events! I'm part of the dance and cheer society so they'll host their own events but the uni and SU put on events all year round too so theres always something going on.
Pretty easy to get to and from London from Sunderland station too :smile:
Have you attended an open day yet?

Why is everything is so rushed and fast In london haha.

Oh that’s pretty good! Sounds like I’d really enjoy Sunderland uni. Was worried I wouldn’t be as involved in societies and stuff like when I went to Northumbria but this seems like a really good mix. That’s good to know about visiting London.

I haven’t attended an open day yet, but will look wt getting one booked in 😃
Reply 6
Original post by Teesside University
Hi there,

Similarly to Ellie from Sunderland uni, I can only discuss life as a Teesside Uni student.

The campus is fantastic - I would recommend you come down and see it if you haven't already, there is such a buzz on the campus and the staff/students could be friendlier. And the health facilities are AMAZING! Middlesbrough is a town with the campus being in the centre and is a 50-minute train/car ride up to Newcastle or Leeds, which is amazing for shopping, nights out etc.

We have an upcoming clearing fair on 19 August and an open day on 9 September. I would recommend visiting our campus and Sunderland's campus to get a feel for both to make an informed decision from there. We also have students in the health school that we can connect you with if you want to discuss mental health nursing and get their opinions to help you decide?

Good luck,
T :smile:

Thank you for your reply! Teeside uni sounds amazing too! That’s a lot nearer than I was expecting Teeside to be! I’ll get yours booked in for both, looking to apply for the courses that start early next year 😃That would be great thank you! Currently deciding if I still want to do mental health nursing or another type of nursing. After being set on it for so long.
Thank you for your reply! Teeside uni sounds amazing too! That’s a lot nearer than I was expecting Teeside to be! I’ll get yours booked in for both, looking to apply for the courses that start early next year 😃That would be great thank you! Currently deciding if I still want to do mental health nursing or another type of nursing. After being set on it for so long.

You still have time to decide, hopefully an open day can help solidify exactly what course you want to do :smile: In the meantime, this video here is great to help you get an overview of all the different types of nursing - youtu.be/1tpshli8VOI
Reply 8
Original post by Teesside University
You still have time to decide, hopefully an open day can help solidify exactly what course you want to do :smile: In the meantime, this video here is great to help you get an overview of all the different types of nursing - youtu.be/1tpshli8VOI

That was so helpful, thank you! That has really put my mind at ease

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending