The Student Room Group

Momentum

picccccccc.JPG
ms.JPG
Why is the total initial momentum 0? The rocket and module both have mass and velocity, both move in the same direction before the explosion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by : ).
picccccccc.JPG
ms.JPG
Why is the total initial momentum 0? The rocket and module both have mass and velocity, both move in the same direction before the explosion.

Which year is this,
Physics is so not my subject 😣
Reply 3
Original post by Ailurophile03
Which year is this,
Physics is so not my subject 😣

june 2013 6ph04 R paper
june 2013 6ph04 R paper

What number,
Reply 5
What number,

Q12
Reply 6
i just dont understand how the total initial momentum 0? The rocket and module both have mass and velocity, both move in the same direction before the explosion.
do u have anyone u can ask at the moment?
The total momentum before the collision of the system is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Therefore, the initial momentum will be zero as they were travelling with constant speed.
Reply 8
Original post by Cicada313
The total momentum before the collision of the system is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Therefore, the initial momentum will be zero as they were travelling with constant speed.

even if it has a constant speed. it will have some momentum...
ik that momentum before and after explosion is the same. after the explosion both undergo the same change in momentum but in the opposite direction so total momentum after the explosion is 0. but why is the total momentum before explosion 0? whats the reason behind it? both have the same speed and also have a mass.
Reply 9
a little help would be appreciated
Bump, I’ll keep bumping it till someone answers 😣
@Roha125 mate can u do this?
Not 100% sure but my guess
Initial momentum isn't zero,there is momentum just like you stated but mark scheme is seeing this as a condone and only 4 marks max can be obtained out of 5 if intial 0 stated,thats why alternative.
Reply 13
Bump, I’ll keep bumping it till someone answers 😣

todays paper was just like physics unit 1 were I ended up with a U grade. cant stop crying.
how was urs?
todays paper was just like physics unit 1 were I ended up with a U grade. cant stop crying.
how was urs?

Don’t say like this inshallah it will be goood
Oh I didn’t have the exam, I meant I’ll have the mock today. I’m currently in Italy so I can’t take the exam at the moment. I thought I told u😓.
Although I wish I could give the exam in Jan cause now I have to give AS PHYSICS, A2 physics, A2 bio,A2 chem along with bad units of AS😩
how was urs?

Is your board Edexcel or Cambridge?
Reply 17
Original post by Cicada313
Is your board Edexcel or Cambridge?

edexcel
edexcel

Thank goodness me that I shifted to cambridge from start of A levels
Edexcel is much more applied physics and cambridge is all maths.
All of my friends gave edexcel AS,did bad and now in cambridge doing AS&A2

Good luck to edexcel physics candidates
I thing to note that our city doesn't have any good edexcel teacher so no one got good guidance
Reply 19
Original post by Roha125
Thank goodness me that I shifted to cambridge from start of A levels
Edexcel is much more applied physics and cambridge is all maths.
All of my friends gave edexcel AS,did bad and now in cambridge doing AS&A2

Good luck to edexcel physics candidates
I thing to note that our city doesn't have any good edexcel teacher so no one got good guidance

I swear I tried so hard to shift to Cambridge last year..after my IGCSE's ...but I couldn't because of my financial situation...sigh

Quick Reply

Latest