The Student Room Group

radioactive decay

can anyone help me to understand how to plot a graph to show the simulation of radioactive decay using 100 dice?
should the numbers be getting smaller, as mine are all over the place and I used a website for the simulation?
Original post by Kat123*
can anyone help me to understand how to plot a graph to show the simulation of radioactive decay using 100 dice?
should the numbers be getting smaller, as mine are all over the place and I used a website for the simulation?

The numbers should be getting smaller because you take out the dice that land of the side you have chosen each time, so there should be less each time
Original post by TarzanNebby
The numbers should be getting smaller because you take out the dice that land of the side you have chosen each time, so there should be less each time

As above ...... but then recall that you must have less dice each time as some have "decayed", so it won't be a nice linear decrease, instead it will be an exponential decay. Dont toss 100 dice every turn, start with 100, on the next turn use however many are still "alive" (<100) and keep going until the last one dies.

Quick Reply

Latest