The Student Room Group

Physics: Glasgow vs Lancaster

Hey all,

I need to choose between Glasgow and Lancaster for physics (bsc).

I have already submitted my UCAS application with Glasgow as my safety choice, but since then I've heard a couple of worrying things from a friend who visited (pretty much said there is some crime there). I also have 4 more days to change my application, and am wondering whether I should.

I've looked at the league tables and I know Lancaster is ranked higher, but Glasgow is also Russell group, and since I'd like to go into research, I'm wondering whether that is better.

I'd love to hear from those who have more knowledge than me about these universities, particularly the area around them.

Thanks!
Hiya,
I’m Ella a 1st year physics PhD student at Lancaster Uni, I did my integrated masters in the physics department here. Overall I’d say I really liked my 4 years here (so much so that I stuck around for PhD).

I can’t speak for Glasgow, as I haven’t visited/studied there. But I’d definitely say that Lancasters high league table scores are well deserved. We are a research intensive university which means there is loads of cutting edge physics in the department (and lots of PhD placements). As for the Russel group thing, I think it’s partially due to the university being relatively new and nothing to do with the quality of the uni and specifically the department.

If you’re worried about crime, Lancaster (especially the university campus) has always felt very very safe to me, it was one of the many reasons I picked the uni when I applied. :smile:

Yeah, the departments really nice and I’ve never regretted putting Lancaster as my first choice for physics. If you do come here there’s lots of nice societies, including a physics one and a great paid physics outreach programme if you want to join a nice community and earn some extra money.

Good luck!!
Ella 😁
Reply 2
Original post by BenevolentMyths
Hey all,

I need to choose between Glasgow and Lancaster for physics (bsc).

I have already submitted my UCAS application with Glasgow as my safety choice, but since then I've heard a couple of worrying things from a friend who visited (pretty much said there is some crime there). I also have 4 more days to change my application, and am wondering whether I should.

I've looked at the league tables and I know Lancaster is ranked higher, but Glasgow is also Russell group, and since I'd like to go into research, I'm wondering whether that is better.

I'd love to hear from those who have more knowledge than me about these universities, particularly the area around them.

Thanks!

Mum of a 4th year particle physics student at Lancaster currently looking at research phds. in terms of crime stats, Lancasters one of the lowest cities, and thats probably down to it being a smaller city. Still has all you need though :smile: On campus when she was in first year, she would be in the library some nights till 2am and had no issues walking back to her halls due to the security and also the spine (which is the walkway between north campus to south campus is well lit.

Research wise, shes done a couple of internships with the uni, and one of them was very productive in proton decay. If you want to take a look at the phd opportunities here is the link https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/physics/study/current-phds/# there are quite a few at Lancaster so that should give you an indication of how many opportunties they have in research. Its very highly regarded uni for physics, and also you are only an hour away from manchester, and if you like visiting that city, then thats another place you can consider for research. Manchester and Liverpool are also on daughters radar as she likes the north west :smile:

3rd year you will do a group research project. Hers and 5 others was firing lasers at beans to test the radioactivity, and it came up with some amazing results. This year is her disertation, and its with neutrino research and a particular field within that.

Lancaster is just about right for her, coming from a tiny village, the city is ideal. Shes got morecambe, Manchester, blackpool, preston and carnforth nearby, and the city is great for walks on the canal, or the woodland walk round campus and williamson park. Shops, you got your usual primark, sainsburys, greggs, shoe zone aldi, tescos express, kfc, maccys; pound bakery, jd sports wear shops. Then you have loads of restuarants and bars and 3 nightclubs, and theres a retail park not too far with matalan and sports direct (and armadillo storage facility). She had Oxford as her first choice, and got as far as the interview stage, but she feels that Lancaster was a much better fit and is happy not to go to lectures on a saturday lol. And the academic support she has had has been excellent.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending