The Student Room Group

How do you respond to ‘all lives matter’

What is the best way to respond when people say ‘all lives matter’ either on it’s own or in response to someone saying ‘black lives matter’ especially if you can’t rly sit them down and have the whole talk with them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’ll repost my previous response to someone;

The phrase “All lives matter” May be seen as a sentiment to ‘unite’ people but it has a detrimental effect, removing focus from the specific grievances of black Americans

I’ll use some analogies I’ve seen previously;
You go to the Doctor for a broken arm and he says "All Bones Matter". Ok, but right now let's take care of this broken one

“Everyone should get food” is no consolation to the person who wasn’t fed at dinner.

The Black Lives Matter movement is about how black people are in immediate danger and need immediate attention, like the broken bone.
Responding with “All lives matter”, implies all people are in equal danger, invalidating the specific concerns of black people.
I always agree with them.

Then I thank them for remembering:
all the survivors of horrifying atrocities and crimes (including hate crimes, sexual violence, honour abuse, vicious bullying, defamation and acid attacks),
all the deceased victims of crime, genocide, terrorism, war, hereditary health problems and terminal illnesses,
all the bereaved people who are are grieving loved ones,
all the very worst of bad apples that take a sadistic delight in bringing misery and destruction to the lives of innocent people- who will one day receive their just deserts for all the evil that they have done.
Don't respond.
Well at the moment there is a particular narrative that ignores the fact that a lot of middle-class African Americans are living very good lives.

My impression is that "all lives matter" may be what some people are saying in order to shift debate towards issues like poverty.
taken from a protester's poster:

"we said black lives matter
never said only black lives matter
we know all lives matter
we just need your help with #blacklivesmatter for black lives are in danger"
Original post by DiddyDec
Don't respond.

PRSOM
Original post by epicnm
I’ll repost my previous response to someone;

The phrase “All lives matter” May be seen as a sentiment to ‘unite’ people but it has a detrimental effect, removing focus from the specific grievances of black Americans

I’ll use some analogies I’ve seen previously;
You go to the Doctor for a broken arm and he says "All Bones Matter". Ok, but right now let's take care of this broken one

“Everyone should get food” is no consolation to the person who wasn’t fed at dinner.

The Black Lives Matter movement is about how black people are in immediate danger and need immediate attention, like the broken bone.
Responding with “All lives matter”, implies all people are in equal danger, invalidating the specific concerns of black people.

love that analogy
They're not wrong but it kind of misses the point of these protests.
I normally say that all lives can't matter until Black lives do as well
"Then act like it"

epicnm's analogy was also great.
I don't see it negatively. I think people who say 'all lives matter' are coming from a good place. But maybe sharing some educational resources on black suppression would be a helpful way to get them to see the particular pain of black people? Your university welfare office should have lots of resources in case you wanna refer them to that
Reply 12
You say the following - "In the grand scheme of things, no lives matter. We are but insignificant dust particles to an infinite and totally indifferent Universe that has an all manner of terrible ways to wipe us all out in the blink of an eye, and it is only by sheer luck that it hasn't done so already".
Capture.JPG
I said this in another thread.

What's frustrating about the ALM vs BLM rhetoric is that it fails to consider the supporting of one cause does not necessarily take away from another. You do not see Prostate Cancer Research going to Breast Cancer Research saying "What about prostate cancer?! " or "All cancers matter!" as a way to detract from breast cancer research. We are intelligent enough to understand that, yes, all cancers matter but in order for each type of cancer to get the necessary care and support, there needs to be a degree of specificity and division of attention and resources. Different teams of people focusing on lung cancer research or breast cancer research or prostate cancer research etc.

Focusing on one issue can exist without it intimidating other causes, it being deemed selfish/ egocentric or having its pure existence render all other causes void or invalid.

Give black people that same courtesy!
Original post by Sretep01
What is the best way to respond when people say ‘all lives matter’ either on it’s own or in response to someone saying ‘black lives matter’ especially if you can’t rly sit them down and have the whole talk with them.

saying all lives matter rn is like saying all buildings matter on 9/11
20200606_011812-compressed.jpg.jpeg
I think some people think it should be "all lives matter" because they feel they have been subjected to injustice too, and don't feel their house is not burning, in fact they may be having a really bad time right now and are confused by the viciousness. They don't know the extent of the racism (not knowing is the privilege, because it doesn't affect you so you don't think of it). However you can simply point out right now the hurt is worse for black people, and that even though their pain is not irrelevant, being white is not one of the things causing them pain. Therefore saying black lives matter is very powerful, because it takes away the power of racist statements and ideals. Some people will verbally abuse black people for being black and that is not okay. Stand up to them. Youth are impressionable and scared, seeing someone like you be killed due to discriminative thinking throughout history is horrifying and outrageous.
(edited 3 years ago)
From my facebook it seems that there are dozens of memes/cartoons that you can just post to seem clever. Very few of them actually address the issue properly, but they can make you look/feel good.

Most, like the two posted above, boil it down to a single analogy of one thing that's broken/damaged, and one thing that's perfectly fine, comparing them to black and white. Obviously that's a ridiculous thing to do, especially considering that 'all lives' doesn't just mean black and white. A better meme would be this:

10 houses are in the first picture.. all have different problems, some small some large.. one is on fire, one is old and derelict, one has a small guttering problem, etc. But each has its own struggle.. Then follow the cartoon onwards.

Bevause that's the point of saying 'all lives' - its acknowledging that there are lots of people who are struggling, from all different backgrounds and that focusing on one in isolation isn't helpful. The memes just prove the point of people who are against BLM, because they demonstrait their idea - white people are fine.. black people are not. In reality, in the UK the most struggling demographic is white working class boys, and plenty of other minorities inclduing much of our south asian minority who are twice as numerous as black people are struggling.. not to mention we have many migrants who are white, but still face descrimination/poverty etc.

But BLM narrows it all down to black = poorly, white = powerful.. simple, job done. Many people instinctivly feel uneasy with this message, and the reality of it is laid bare by the cartoons/memes that they reply with when questioned. That's the narritive, its simplistic and unhelpful, but its won through, and its the new normal now.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending