The Student Room Group

Opinions on the Mandatory Masks

Just wondering what peoples opinions on the mandatory masks were. Personally I thinkbits a good idea but its come far too late. We are well past the peak and everything is gradually returning to normal having masks now just seems kinda pointless and very late. How long do you think they'll last?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's an okay idea for the government to show they are working on something. It is quite late how they are proposing plans.
Hmm thats true, but don't see the need for it now. We're having very low deaths and projected to get sub 10 by Sept... so just feel like its too late and just a random move by the government
Reply 3
Original post by bingbong9214
Hmm thats true, but don't see the need for it now. We're having very low deaths and projected to get sub 10 by Sept... so just feel like its too late and just a random move by the government

Masks and face covering can do some benefits rather than wearing nothing at all around the face, where most germs are submit to be easily transmitted to another person. Even though we are having low deaths, it might spike up and lockdown may be imposed again with a second wave. They are trying to keep it low and have been proposing these, but a bit too late I believe.
Reply 4
We should have been wearing them from the start, but I understand needing to prioritise PPE for health workers, and then essential workers before having everyone buy them up. They should have done it earlier, but not right at the beginning.
I would rather I didn't have to wear a mask but it is no big deal.
Like many things.. I would hope it doesn't need to be compulsory. Sensible people should be able to judge when/where to wear a mask and the government shouldn't need to interfere.

Unfortunately that doesn't happen, and like with many public health things, drink driving, seat belts, smoking around others etc. It takes the government forcing people into action to actually get them to do the right thing.

The main problem I have isn't that they are now pushing masks.. its that they were 100% dishonest back in feb/march, back at a time when masks would have made such a bigger difference then they were now.. They lied to the public about how useful it was to wear them, because they failed to prepare and secure enough masks, and many people still don't believe masks are effective because of what they heard back then.
Reply 7
The Mask-erade has begun.
In ASDA today, strange to see customers wearing masks but not most of the staff in the same aisles!
Reply 8
Original post by NJA
The Mask-erade has begun.
In ASDA today, strange to see customers wearing masks but not most of the staff in the same aisles!

I think it's better to have customers wear a mask for 15 minutes rather than staff for 8 hours (or more). Provide masks and PPE to the staff, of course, but to make it mandatory for their whole shift when they're already probably only on minimum wage really sucks.
One of the unintended positives about having to wear masks in shops is it is causing the snowflakes to go full snowflake

https://twitter.com/LaraCrabb/status/1286568323887620096
There is nothing quite like an ignorant rant. Do you not remember hospitals crying out for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in March? This included face masks. Had the government urged everyone to buy masks, there would have been an even greater demand for a finite and rare resource.
Original post by Kitten in boots
One of the unintended positives about having to wear masks in shops is it is causing the snowflakes to go full snowflake

https://twitter.com/LaraCrabb/status/1286568323887620096

How is that snowflakey?

There are people on my street who have been to the shops for the first time since March lately and have been shocked at how much things have changed. My wife too was pretty tearful when she did her first big shop.

How sad to vilify people for showing their emotions. Are you Donald Trump because he has no sympathy or empathy for anyone but himself as well!
Original post by ByEeek
How is that snowflakey?

There are people on my street who have been to the shops for the first time since March lately and have been shocked at how much things have changed. My wife too was pretty tearful when she did her first big shop.

How sad to vilify people for showing their emotions. Are you Donald Trump because he has no sympathy or empathy for anyone but himself as well!

She isn't getting tearful because she is out shopping, she is getting tearful because the government are oppressing us by requiring us to wear masks.

Lara Crabb is a conspiracy theorist known for her somewhat hysterical rants.
They aren't. At least not to the wearer. But they do protect others if you are infected. They position we are in is keeping the numbers down from now on.
Original post by Kitten in boots
Lara Crabb is a conspiracy theorist known for her somewhat hysterical rants.

Oh. I didn't realise this. Well please use the correct term of nut-job or durr-brain in that case. 😂😂
The Government have already told us they don’t work. The major shops are refusing to enforce the new law so they don’t lose customers and leaving it down to the police, who are saying they’re too busy to go around shops enforcing it themselves.

So in reality you don’t actually have to wear a mask to go the shop. I went to the shop just before and 2 out of about a dozen people were wearing one.
Barbers and shops are different you know lol
I find it strange that originally, people were dressing in full HazMat suits before going near anyone with Covid, and deep cleaning entire buildings that a person with Covid had been in.

And now we think a flimsy piece of cloth on our face makes such a big difference?
Sometimes I suspect that they might be more of an economic measure, aimed at giving more potential consumers confidence to enter shops and other areas where they're mandatory. If face coverings were effective then surely we'd have been advised to wear them from the beginning of the pandemic? Yes, I'm aware that there was a huge shortage of PPE and what we had really had to go to healthcare workers, but I said coverings, not masks. If you could make an effective one from, say, an old t-shirt then surely there'd have been public service broadcasts telling us exactly how to do so.

Face coverings have also been mandatory on public transport in England and Scotland for over a month now, yet the fuss seems to be largely directed at the shops. I wonder why that might be? Possibly people believe that public transport, which if is running at anywhere close to capacity makes social distancing impossible, is a high risk activity for the spread of coronavirus, but are a bit more sceptical about shops as a vector for transmission.
Original post by Smack
Sometimes I suspect that they might be more of an economic measure, aimed at giving more potential consumers confidence to enter shops and other areas where they're mandatory. If face coverings were effective then surely we'd have been advised to wear them from the beginning of the pandemic? Yes, I'm aware that there was a huge shortage of PPE and what we had really had to go to healthcare workers, but I said coverings, not masks. If you could make an effective one from, say, an old t-shirt then surely there'd have been public service broadcasts telling us exactly how to do so.

Face coverings have also been mandatory on public transport in England and Scotland for over a month now, yet the fuss seems to be largely directed at the shops. I wonder why that might be? Possibly people believe that public transport, which if is running at anywhere close to capacity makes social distancing impossible, is a high risk activity for the spread of coronavirus, but are a bit more sceptical about shops as a vector for transmission.

Probably because most people don't use public transport anymore and even then a lot of people don't wear masks there either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending