The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Could you link to that thread, please ?
Original post by Whatisizekiah
Could you link to that thread, please ?

This one, you're in it already :lol:

Post originally created by ecolier.
I-

Oh I see. You moved some posts from the general medicine 2021 and made one for resisters etc! Thanks for that
Original post by dereile
I was wondering which medical schools are holding offers open for students resitting in either Autumn or Spring 2021? I.e not having to do UCAT again or be interviewed again? So not a reapplication just having to get the grades?

Has anyone been offered this?

Thanks

I think like 90% are. I heard that even Cambridge will defer your offer (but that might have just been a rumour.) but of course you’d have had to be given an offer by them in the first place.
Original post by Student+
I think like 90% are. I heard that even Cambridge will defer your offer (but that might have just been a rumour.) but of course you’d have had to be given an offer by them in the first place.

I really want this to happen, why do you say 90% are?

Where’s this stat from?
Original post by SpaceTravel
Anyone applying for UCAs again this year from the medics who missed conditional offers. Ding Autumn exams, and maybe Summer exams (summer will be called resit)

What if you applied for a different course for 2020 entry and didn't get in but you want to do medicine now?
Will summer 2021 exams be considered resits for me?
Original post by idki009
What if you applied for a different course for 2020 entry and didn't get in but you want to do medicine now?
Will summer 2021 exams be considered resits for me?

I'm pretty sure that if you're resitting a subject in the Summer of 2021, regardless of whether you took Medicine or not, it still counts as a resit.
Original post by GANFYD
What that means is that I think med schools will treat all exams sat next year as first sits, for the 2019 cohort.

But if we want to be a purist, the 2020 cohort will also have missed significant periods of A level teaching and are unlikely to be given another year to make things up. nor 2 attempts at sitting the exam (in England).
You say you have never been tested, but it would be an unusual school who had done no testing. If your mock exam was acceptable, then you should be allowed to appeal and would be given this grade, even though mocks are not a standardised, externally assessed exam.

Your post is correct in saying you did not ask for this pandemic - nobody did, but I think those who have lost loved ones and the people who were seriously ill or died are the ones who have suffered the most, not A level students, if you want to talk about insensitive.....

My comment was that med schools will possibly look upon your cohort more favourably than others who do an exam for a second time. I do not see this as insensitive? If admin teams could be bothered to deal with the hassle, then they may decide to sift through for all those who have already sat the exam in Oct and if grades are not made, to reject them. I do not think they will find this worth the hassle. I am not sure if this is an English comprehension issue, but it is not about the cohort, it is about the logistics of processing applications - and works in your favour. If you think they should do it, it may well result in this cohort only getting 1 attempt at sitting exams rather than 2. I do not think I am saying what you seem to have interpreted it as.....

No English comprehension issue here...

Mocks were taken at different times in a large student schools, by sections at different dates. Not a reliable indicator as I know one student who was absent on mock exam, was given the same exam a week later, of course the friends told the student the questions. Now as a result this student who did a mock at a later date has scored a A* and the fellow friends have a B in that subject. Some places, the teacher took last years papers which private tutors had already informed to the students. Reliability of mocks...

Time will tell more on this I guess as story unfolds!
Reply 88
Original post by SpaceTravel
No English comprehension issue here...

Mocks were taken at different times in a large student schools, by sections at different dates. Not a reliable indicator as I know one student who was absent on mock exam, was given the same exam a week later, of course the friends told the student the questions. Now as a result this student who did a mock at a later date has scored a A* and the fellow friends have a B in that subject. Some places, the teacher took last years papers which private tutors had already informed to the students. Reliability of mocks...

Time will tell more on this I guess as story unfolds!

But you still don't seem to be understanding that I was saying I thought med schools would NOT consider any exam sat by the 2019 cohort, either in autumn or the summer, as resits. You went off into a rant saying exactly the same thing I had said. And then you argued med schools should check how many people were sitting exams twice over just the once after I had said I did not think they would do this. Which would be the way they would determine who was a "resitter" and who was not, should they want to do this.....

And an n=1 trial involving someone's mate at school does not translate to a whole cohort. There are 2% more people with A*s and As this year than last, so thousands (nearly 5000) more people have these grades than last year, or the years before that. The issue is that is is not necessarily the RIGHT people who have the grades, but I cannot see a way round this now, given the limits that were being worked with.
Original post by GANFYD
But you still don't seem to be understanding that I was saying I thought med schools would NOT consider any exam sat by the 2019 cohort, either in autumn or the summer, as resits. You went off into a rant saying exactly the same thing I had said. And then you argued med schools should check how many people were sitting exams twice over just the once after I had said I did not think they would do this. Which would be the way they would determine who was a "resitter" and who was not, should they want to do this.....

And an n=1 trial involving someone's mate at school does not translate to a whole cohort. There are 2% more people with A*s and As this year than last, so thousands (nearly 5000) more people have these grades than last year, or the years before that. The issue is that is is not necessarily the RIGHT people who have the grades, but I cannot see a way round this now, given the limits that were being worked with.

thank you and bless you for being here.
Original post by tragictimes
I'm pretty sure that if you're resitting a subject in the Summer of 2021, regardless of whether you took Medicine or not, it still counts as a resit.

I cont
Original post by tragictimes

So we have to take the subject in autumn rather than the summer to not be counted as a resit?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Faruq777
I cont

So we have to take the subject in autumn rather than the summer to not be counted as a resit?

Yeah you have to take it in the Autumn for it to be considered as your first sitting.
I cont

You need to do research / wait

some medical schools are already saying summer is not counted as a resit.
Original post by bbqchicken
I had a conditional offer for medicine this year but on results day I missed the grades as all my grades were downgraded. I'll have to sit exams in all 3 of my subjects but the good news is my uni said they would honour my offer if I get AAA in the autumn or summer exams. My teacher is suggesting I take all of them in autumn to get them out of the way and because apparently the grade boundaries would be lower in the autumn compared to in the summer. I am willing to work really hard but I don't know if it is possible to do all the exams in autumn and get A's. Any advise? Anyone else have to take all their subjects? when are you planning on doing the exams ?

Ooh, which uni was that? That’s really nice of them.
And yeah, I’m in the same sorta situation and am thinking about doing them in summer... October is just a bit too early for me (although I guess I understand the logic behind the autumn series being at that time). Just think about whether you’ll feel ready in around 5 or 6 weeks to sit the exams. After all, in the end, you’ll be the one taking the exams.
Leeds sent me an Email saying..... if you sit the autumn exam this year then it will be considered as a first time sitting and you can still be offered a place for next years entry if you achieve the required grades.

If you are re-applying next year through UCAS then clearly you would not be considered a first time applicant. The details around re-application is in my email below and in the entry criteria details in the weblink below.
So I guess I need to rush to finish my course fo biology and then revise it along with chemistry for the next 6 weeks. This is going to be so tough, especially having been out of formal education for 5 Months. 😞
Reply 96
Hi,
So I received my results a week ago and they don't meet the entry requirements for medicine.

My teachers refuse to change my grades or even put in an appeal, even though they knew how hard-working I was and had high negotiated/target grade. My tests/prelims are very inconsistent varying from low to high marks.

Now I'm beginning to give up and looking for another way into medicine. I am looking to study in Scotland

One thing I can do is resit my highers, but then I don't know how I will do my advanced( if anyone knows this process, please let me know!!)

Another thing is a foundation course, if anyone has any that they know of in Scotland please let me know

Lastly, I am not looking to do a degree and then get into med school, is there anything else anyone knows for me to get into medicine next year or the year after?

Thank you so much
Zeek xx
(edited 3 years ago)
I also have quite bad back pain and it hurts to sit. Had lower back surgery about a week ago and it’s still quite painful for me. I’m also on painkillers, which make me quite drowsy and dizzy so I tend to sleep a lot more during the day. Would universities even consider this as being a mitigating circumstance?
Reply 98
I also have quite bad back pain and it hurts to sit. Had lower back surgery about a week ago and it’s still quite painful for me. I’m also on painkillers, which make me quite drowsy and dizzy so I tend to sleep a lot more during the day. Would universities even consider this as being a mitigating circumstance?

Mitigating circumstances for what? If it is exams, most med schools say you need to report any extenuating circumstances to the exam board and they will make the necessary allowances
Original post by mnot
He will have to get predicted grades from his teachers.
The good news is Autumn exams will be treated as a first attempt.

Hi, I was wondering if you could clear some things up for me!

I received something along the lines of ABB after moderation, so I was wondering, if I sit chemistry in oct and then psych next year, do they count as one sitting? Or is it better to just not write in oct and save both for the same sitting?

What constitutes a rewrite, and will unis accept me not doing all my exams in October?

Latest

Trending

Trending