The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sonal7
Oh my bad for not checking. Its sounds like you ve done enough. You know what you are doing :smile:. I think go could consider travel or something that will look good on CV if you just want to have fun. I personally think kill 2 birds, so some volunteer work abroad. I should stop telling you what to do, sounds like you are on the right track :smile:

They ideas you are giving me sound way more interesting ! I really appreciate them , my family are way to protective to let me go abroad , id also feel unsafe alone , however I also wish I could . ill definitely be taking a look at the medical related jobs though :smile:
spoke to my teachers today about the possiblity of doing another gap year and they don't seem too keen on it , however I don't want to end up in a uni for 6 years that I don't like , I guess ill fully know if I need to take one if I get offers from the ones id hope for , fingers crossed !
Original post by hannah12389
They ideas you are giving me sound way more interesting ! I really appreciate them , my family are way to protective to let me go abroad , id also feel unsafe alone , however I also wish I could . ill definitely be taking a look at the medical related jobs though :smile:
spoke to my teachers today about the possiblity of doing another gap year and they don't seem too keen on it , however I don't want to end up in a uni for 6 years that I don't like , I guess ill fully know if I need to take one if I get offers from the ones id hope for , fingers crossed !

re:gap year. How weird the teachers are like that, ignore them. Especially with the pandemic. Going to uni sounds like a nightmare if you watch the news. I meant with an organisation so that you are safe, like conservation group. People go on electives so it might be ok. yeah might not need to :smile:. Whatever happens it will turn out ok, I think so anyway.
(edited 3 years ago)
hellooo, ive got a lot of questions

1) how shall i start preparing for interviews?
2) is it definite that all interviews will be virtual? i applied to HYMU, Bristol, KCL and Newcastle PARTNERS
3) im going abroad to africa from november to february to shadow my cousin whos a doctor so if the interviews won't be virtual what do i do about this?
4) i emailed southampton bcos i wanted to do their BM6 course (so frikkin bad) to find out if a UCAT bursary counted as 16-19 bursary. one person on here told me it doesnt, someone from there also emailed me that it doesnt so obviously i didnt apply bcos i didnt meet the entry requirements for the widening participation, bbuuuut someone from there emailed me again today saying this....

"Yes, the UCAT bursary can count as an alternative to the 16-19 bursary (please note that you cannot claim the 16-19 bursary and the UCAT bursary as two separate requirements for the BM6)."

does this mean the UCAT bursary does count as a 16-19 bursary or similar grant?

if it does, im so so upset because i really wanted to apply to southampton bcos i think i had a pretty good chance of getting in and its at a good distance for me. is there anything i can do at all do apply there since its also been more than a week since the medicine deadline? i have replied to them asking what i could do

thank you to anyone who replies or has ever replied to me, i do really appreciate all and any help <<333
Original post by haniab03
hellooo, ive got a lot of questions

1) how shall i start preparing for interviews?
2) is it definite that all interviews will be virtual? i applied to HYMU, Bristol, KCL and Newcastle PARTNERS
3) im going abroad to africa from november to february to shadow my cousin whos a doctor so if the interviews won't be virtual what do i do about this?
4) i emailed southampton bcos i wanted to do their BM6 course (so frikkin bad) to find out if a UCAT bursary counted as 16-19 bursary. one person on here told me it doesnt, someone from there also emailed me that it doesnt so obviously i didnt apply bcos i didnt meet the entry requirements for the widening participation, bbuuuut someone from there emailed me again today saying this....

"Yes, the UCAT bursary can count as an alternative to the 16-19 bursary (please note that you cannot claim the 16-19 bursary and the UCAT bursary as two separate requirements for the BM6)."

does this mean the UCAT bursary does count as a 16-19 bursary or similar grant?

if it does, im so so upset because i really wanted to apply to southampton bcos i think i had a pretty good chance of getting in and its at a good distance for me. is there anything i can do at all do apply there since its also been more than a week since the medicine deadline? i have replied to them asking what i could do

thank you to anyone who replies or has ever replied to me, i do really appreciate all and any help <<333

What really?? They emailed me saying it wasn’t it but I still had other criteria so I still applied. Maybe just call them ASAP and explain that you were told it wasn’t counted for
Original post by studybuddy1302
What really?? They emailed me saying it wasn’t it but I still had other criteria so I still applied. Maybe just call them ASAP and explain that you were told it wasn’t counted for

i think i did try call them but they don't have any telephones running right now and are only talking via emails, which is so annoying because they're replying so slow (i emailed them about this start of october and only just got a response)
What is everyone doing during the gap year I can't find a job nor a Volunteering opportunity
Original post by Lennylen628
What is everyone doing during the gap year I can't find a job nor a Volunteering opportunity

How hard have you looked? Even working in a fast food restaurant or a supermarket could be good?

A lot of hospitals I know are looking for volunteers.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Lennylen628

I've been looking at opportunities to work in an administrative role in hospitals and have currently applied to one (most require previous clerical experience though which I don't have...). If you go to the website of your local NHS board they list job vacancies on there. For example, here is the link for Cardiff and Vale where I live, but there should be equivalents. http://jobs.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/job_list/s7/Administrative_Services?_ts=1

thanks this is useful. There are so many more medicine applicants this year since 2012, and the EU numbers barely make a difference. omllll
Original post by medbox
thanks this is useful. There are so many more medicine applicants this year since 2012, and the EU numbers barely make a difference. omllll

Indeed, EU applicants dropped 15% but there's a huge increase in all other groups.

How come UCAS says there are 28,690 applicants for medicine but 34000 people done the UKAT? So 6k ppl done the UCAT and ended up not even applying, odd
Original post by Yo...
How come UCAS says there are 28,690 applicants for medicine but 34000 people done the UKAT? So 6k ppl done the UCAT and ended up not even applying, odd

nah that's normal cause last year at my school like 10 people sat the UCAT and only 4-5 ended up applying ; reasons maybe they realised they don't the career anymore or they have a UCAT they don't like
Original post by Yo...

You need the UCAT for dentistry aswell
yeah I suppose because there is two sets of cohorts this years, the resits from 2019, the CAG appliers who took a year out, so last years year 13 and now the current year 13's applying.
Original post by Yo...

But... people don't just do UCAT for Medicine.

Original post by Yo...

some do the UCAT for dentistry I swear down?
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
some do the UCAT for dentistry I swear down?

'xactly. Around 4000 - 5000 applicants for Dentistry? Plus what @stereotypeasian said? Pretty much normal to me.

Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
yeah I suppose because there is two sets of cohorts this years, the resits from 2019, the CAG appliers who took a year out, so last years year 13 and now the current year 13's applying.

Yes.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about Dentistry for a moment, my bad

Latest

Trending

Trending