The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

since exams are cancelled, will unis still keep the 3 year maximum of study if 2021 autumn exams technically count as 4 academic years of study? :frown:
Original post by leahnj
since exams are cancelled, will unis still keep the 3 year maximum of study if 2021 autumn exams technically count as 4 academic years of study? :frown:

I've emailed some unis for Dentistry and literally all that got back to me so far say they understand our situation. Basically first time you do exams is your first sitting and some places who take second CAG as a resit will still take it. Email unis to know for sure tho
Here's an example of Birmingham dent
Original post by _harveer.s_
Here's an example of Birmingham dent

thank you I will email too
Original post by medic_2001
Hi everyone! Just wanted to see if there are others here in my situation? I was lucky as my firm uni from last year said that they would honour/hold my offer as long as I sat my Biology exams (which I did last Autumn). Would love to hear from anyone else who's had a similar journey

I'm in the exact same situation as you mate. I had to resit Bio as well as my CAG was C which was too low for my med offer
Original post by robotmonkey
I'm in the exact same situation as you mate. I had to resit Bio as well as my CAG was C which was too low for my med offer

Nice to hear from you - so did you manage to get everything sorted out?
Original post by medic_2001
Hi everyone! Just wanted to see if there are others here in my situation? I was lucky as my firm uni from last year said that they would honour/hold my offer as long as I sat my Biology exams (which I did last Autumn). Would love to hear from anyone else who's had a similar journey

Yep, exact same situation.
My offer last year was AAB, but my CAG's were ABB. I was gutted and hadn't revised anything since last march when lockdown started, but I still went ahead and did the autumn exam for maths. I was so close to going into pharmacy as my parents were really opposed a gap year. But I managed to convince them and try my best as my uni said they'd honour my offer. In the beginning it felt like I had forgotten everything, I felt like giving up a handful of times, but I persisted and somehow end up getting an A*. For me it was crazy, as I started in set 5 for maths in year 9, and during sixth form I was only set 3. It just goes to show hard work does pay off, you just gotta have a little self-belief.
Right now, I'm working in the NHS part time. It's been a really valuable experience as well as an opportunity to save up some money to fund for uni. I think I even dodged a bullet not getting in the first time round as online learning doesn't seem quite appealing.

If anyone's reading this, TSR might seem like it's full of insanely smart students, but believe me, you don't need to be Einstein to get into medicine.
Anyone found a cheap reliable centre yet? By cheap I mean the cost per subject is up to but not including £200? And true deadline hasn’t finished yet?
Original post by Abzy2002
Yep, exact same situation.
My offer last year was AAB, but my CAG's were ABB. I was gutted and hadn't revised anything since last march when lockdown started, but I still went ahead and did the autumn exam for maths. I was so close to going into pharmacy as my parents were really opposed a gap year. But I managed to convince them and try my best as my uni said they'd honour my offer. In the beginning it felt like I had forgotten everything, I felt like giving up a handful of times, but I persisted and somehow end up getting an A*. For me it was crazy, as I started in set 5 for maths in year 9, and during sixth form I was only set 3. It just goes to show hard work does pay off, you just gotta have a little self-belief.
Right now, I'm working in the NHS part time. It's been a really valuable experience as well as an opportunity to save up some money to fund for uni. I think I even dodged a bullet not getting in the first time round as online learning doesn't seem quite appealing.

If anyone's reading this, TSR might seem like it's full of insanely smart students, but believe me, you don't need to be Einstein to get into medicine.

Exactly this. Just want to echo your post by saying never give up. The hardest thing about my CAG in biology (B) was that you start thinking that your old teachers didn't have the confidence in you to give you a higher grade. It was very difficult in the beginning but got there in the end. Self-belief, determination, and hard-work make a huge difference.

Again - never give up! A gap year (as so many others say) is a much better option than GEM, and can help make you better prepared for uni anyway
Original post by leahnj

Can I just ask what this means? Do unis care if u apply to medicine after 2 gap years
Original post by DoctorAk
Can I just ask what this means? Do unis care if u apply to medicine after 2 gap years

the majority of unis specify they do ie "We will not consider applications from students currently in their third year of A level study"
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-school-a-level-resit-policies/
Original post by leahnj
the majority of unis specify they do ie "We will not consider applications from students currently in their third year of A level study"
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-school-a-level-resit-policies/

Gap years are not years of A level study, though. Now, more than half of med schools are happy withe resits and all of them were OK with people sitting autimn exams for 2020 and many summer ones too. They have not yet declared what they will or won't accept for 2021 exams

I cannot think of any that would care about 2 gap years. There are some who specify you must have significant academic activity/A levels in the last 3 years and a few more that will assess you as a mature non-grad once you get over 2 years, so depends if any of the years were spent re-doing A levels
Original post by GANFYD
I cannot think of any that would care about 2 gap years. There are some who specify you must have significant academic activity/A levels in the last 3 years and a few more that will assess you as a mature non-grad once you get over 2 years, so depends if any of the years were spent re-doing A levels

Oh okay I havnt redone and A level , ive only done the autumn chem A level. I was wondering if it’d put me in a different category like grads applying if I take two gap years. Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh okay I havnt redone and A level , ive only done the autumn chem A level. I was wondering if it’d put me in a different category like grads applying if I take two gap years. Thank you

Some med schools use a category called mature non-grads (or similar), and they do tend to be assessed differently, and as I say, some want sustained academic endeavour within the last 3 years, but I cannot think of any where 2 gap years would be an issue

I mean i took 2 gap years and got interview for both med schools i applied to so no it’s not a problem
Original post by sh63ma
I mean i took 2 gap years and got interview for both med schools i applied to so no it’s not a problem

Oh okay thanks a lot
Original post by GANFYD
Some med schools use a category called mature non-grads (or similar), and they do tend to be assessed differently, and as I say, some want sustained academic endeavour within the last 3 years, but I cannot think of any where 2 gap years would be an issue

Thank youuuu
Original post by mohammedali3869
Hello guys,
I got an offer today at 16:42pm. This is my second time applying to medicine after I got rejected last year from all 4 of my choices post interview. This year, I received interviews for Manchester, ARU and HYMS. I also applied to Southampton A100 but still haven't got anything back. Anyway, I got put on the waiting list after my ARU interview and got an offer after my HYMS interview. I prepared so hard for that HYMS interview, went to lengths such as preparing a 100 page document with an answer to every possible question. I was over the moon when I found out that I had been accepted at HYMS. I had an interview for Manchester on 24th February but I withdrew all my other choices so that I could firmly accept the HYMS offer since it was uncondtional. Guys, do not give up if you don't get in first time, like @ecolier and @GANFYN constantly recommend, reapplying and taking a gap year is much much easier than going for graduate entry medicine. Not gonna lie, a gap year is not as glamorous as some people may make it out to be. There were definitely many times where I really missed the school atmosphere and having a social life in general. But it's worth the sacrifice for sure.

Here are my stats:
ucat: 2600 band 1
GCSEs: 99888A*7777A
A levels (CAGs): A in Biology, A in maths, B in chemistry
I met the contextual criteria for HYMS hence why my offer was unconditional

.7ED95782-1050-4331-B1E7-D162F871242B.jpeg

Congratuations @mohammedali3869, thanks for sharing this, it sounds like you put a lot of heart and soul into your work. I wish you all the best with HYMS and I'm sure that your success will boost your confidence in future endeavors.

To those out there facing rejection first time round, take inspiration from Mohammed!

James 😊
Y2 Oxford Medical Student
Medic Mind

Latest

Trending

Trending