The Student Room Group

ToF- Mass Spectrometry

Can someone help me with this question?

All the particles have the same kinetic energy (= ½ mv2 , where m = mass of particle and v = velocity) and the velocity of the particles is given by v = d/t (where d = distance travelled and t = time taken). If the time of flight of a 54Cr+ ion is 1.486 x 10-5 s, calculate the time of flight of a 50Cr+ ion. Give your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.
Original post by katie012
Can someone help me with this question?

All the particles have the same kinetic energy (= ½ mv2 , where m = mass of particle and v = velocity) and the velocity of the particles is given by v = d/t (where d = distance travelled and t = time taken). If the time of flight of a 54Cr+ ion is 1.486 x 10-5 s, calculate the time of flight of a 50Cr+ ion. Give your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.

i wont give the answer but as a hint- the distance will be the same and so will another variable. you can do a lot of cancelling out if you form two equations- one for the 50cr and one for the 54cr
Original post by coppersulfhate
i wont give the answer but as a hint- the distance will be the same and so will another variable. you can do a lot of cancelling out if you form two equations- one for the 50cr and one for the 54cr

you can work out both masses from the info in the question :smile:
Reply 3
you can work out both masses from the info in the question :smile:

I've worked out both the masses but I'm not sure what to do next as I don't have a distance.
Reply 4

I can use the equation T=D√M/2Ke but i don't know how to work out the distance
Original post by katie012
I can use the equation T=D√M/2Ke but i don't know how to work out the distance

The distance is the same in both cases and so you can cancel it out in simultaneous equations.
Reply 6
Original post by charco
The distance is the same in both cases and so you can cancel it out in simultaneous equations.

ohhh okay, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest