The Student Room Group

How to calculate molar ratio??

Hi, I'm doing some chem work now but am stuck at the first part. The questions follow the lines of
1: In what molar ratio do the following substances react
a) hydrochloric acid with calcium hydroxide
b) nitric acid with ammonia
etc...

I'm just slightly confused at how to calculate the molar ratio when not given any masses for the substances as I'm unable to use the mass = Mr x mol equation here.

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
-carxlinefxrbes_
Original post by carxlinefxrbes_
Hi, I'm doing some chem work now but am stuck at the first part. The questions follow the lines of
1: In what molar ratio do the following substances react
a) hydrochloric acid with calcium hydroxide
b) nitric acid with ammonia
etc...

I'm just slightly confused at how to calculate the molar ratio when not given any masses for the substances as I'm unable to use the mass = Mr x mol equation here.

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
-carxlinefxrbes_

Molar ratio is essentially the stoichiometry of the equation, or in other words the numbers you put in front of chemicals when you balance an equation.

For example, 2 HCl + 1 Ca(OH)2 -----> 1 Ca(Cl)2 + 2 H2O

So here, the numbers in bold are the simplest molar ratios in which the reactants react. The answer to your question 1 (a) would thus be 2:1

Remember, it is not asking you to calculate the moles, hence the use of the equation Mass = Mr x mol is not needed. In actuality, it could be that 0.724 moles of HCl could react with 0.362 moles of Ca(OH)2 , but a ratio means the simplest whole number ratio, so 0.724 : 0.362 is the same as 2 :1.

(NB: I have chosen the number 0.724 randomly to stress my point that it is immaterial how many moles are actually reacting. The ratio in which the moles will react, i.e. molar ratio, will always be the same).

Hope this makes it clearer <3 if you have any doubts let me know :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by qwert7890
Molar ratio is essentially the stoichiometry of the equation, or in other words the numbers you put in front of chemicals when you balance an equation.

For example, 2 HCl + 1 Ca(OH)2 -----> 1 Ca(Cl)2 + 2 H2O

So here, the numbers in bold are the simplest molar ratios in which the reactants react. The answer to your question 1 (a) would thus be 2:1

Remember, it is not asking you to calculate the moles, hence the use of the equation Mass = Mr x mol is not needed. In actuality, it could be that 0.724 moles of HCl could react with 0.362 moles of Ca(OH)2 , but a ratio means the simplest whole number ratio, so 0.724 : 0.362 is the same as 2 :1.

(NB: I have chosen the number 0.724 randomly to stress my point that it is immaterial how many moles are actually reacting. The ratio in which the moles will react, i.e. molar ratio, will always be the same).

Hope this makes it clearer <3 if you have any doubts let me know :smile:

Thank you so much!!!

This makes a lot of sense and I'm a bit embarrassed I couldn't work this out haha.
I guess I'm just used to calculating it via the mass = Mr x mol method in class rather than being asked to calculate it by writing a balanced equation.

Thank you once again!! <3 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest