The Student Room Group

Is finding the moles enough to decide?

In nylon 6,6 synthesis, 3 grams of adipoyl chloride (molar mass 183.03 g/mol) dissolved in 25 mL of hexane was reacted with 4.7 grams of hexamethylene diamine (molar mass 116.21 g/mol) dissolved in 25 mL of 2 M sodium hydroxide solution. Identify the excess reactant and the limiting reactant in this reaction.
Original post by tameezkanaam
In nylon 6,6 synthesis, 3 grams of adipoyl chloride (molar mass 183.03 g/mol) dissolved in 25 mL of hexane was reacted with 4.7 grams of hexamethylene diamine (molar mass 116.21 g/mol) dissolved in 25 mL of 2 M sodium hydroxide solution. Identify the excess reactant and the limiting reactant in this reaction.
... and your ideas are?
Original post by charco
... and your ideas are?
my idea is to find out the moles of both adipoyl chloride and hexamethyl diamine. according to my interpretation of the chemical equation of this reaction, both of them react with 1:1 mole ratio. hence, the reactant whose moles are less will be the limiting reactant. however, i have two concerns. first, i feel like the question cannot be this easy; it's a 5 mark question and there must be something more. second, note how it is mentioned that the sodium hydroxide solution is 2 M and there's no molarity mentioned for the hexane solution. Wouldn't it affect the number of moles somehow? So yes, that's my idea.
my idea is to find out the moles of both adipoyl chloride and hexamethyl diamine. according to my interpretation of the chemical equation of this reaction, both of them react with 1:1 mole ratio. hence, the reactant whose moles are less will be the limiting reactant. however, i have two concerns. first, i feel like the question cannot be this easy; it's a 5 mark question and there must be something more. second, note how it is mentioned that the sodium hydroxide solution is 2 M and there's no molarity mentioned for the hexane solution. Wouldn't it affect the number of moles somehow? So yes, that's my idea.
Your ideas are good.

The reaction forms HCl which will be absorbed by the NaOH, the presence of which will also ensure that the amine is not salted out by the HCl, which would prevent it reacting with the acid chloride.
The hexane is just a solvent for the acid chloride.
Original post by charco
Your ideas are good.

The reaction forms HCl which will be absorbed by the NaOH, the presence of which will also ensure that the amine is not salted out by the HCl, which would prevent it reacting with the acid chloride.
The hexane is just a solvent for the acid chloride.
So the calculations then are pretty simple. we just do moles=mass in g/mr. and then the moles of adipoyl chloride come to be less so therefore that is the limiting reactant. is that correct?
So the calculations then are pretty simple. we just do moles=mass in g/mr. and then the moles of adipoyl chloride come to be less so therefore that is the limiting reactant. is that correct?
yes

Quick Reply

Latest