The Student Room Group

Differential Equations by substitution

So I'm stuck on this Isaac Physics question -

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/solution_by_substitution2

and I have tried the substitution 4u/v because that differentiates to something that resembles the RHS, although my answer turns out as

u = v^2/2 - 1/2 v or multiples thereof, and I'm unsure as to an alternative way to look at the problem. Should I try to do a reverse substitution, and think about integrating the RHS? I've been stuck for a few hours, and I'd appreciate some help : )
Original post by zacn01
So I'm stuck on this Isaac Physics question -

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/solution_by_substitution2

and I have tried the substitution 4u/v because that differentiates to something that resembles the RHS, although my answer turns out as

u = v^2/2 - 1/2 v or multiples thereof, and I'm unsure as to an alternative way to look at the problem. Should I try to do a reverse substitution, and think about integrating the RHS? I've been stuck for a few hours, and I'd appreciate some help : )

If you move the 4u/v^2 term over, you get (v du/dv - 4u) / v^2.

Any ideas how you might rewrite v du/dv - 4u as a single derivative (times a function of v)?

Spoiler

Original post by DFranklin
If you move the 4u/v^2 term over, you get (v du/dv - 4u) / v^2.

Any ideas how you might rewrite v du/dv - 4u as a single derivative (times a function of v)?

Spoiler

I'm getting d/dv(4uv), but this leaves me with 4v du/dv + 4u, and we want v and -4u, so I'm sure I'm not quite right there, I checked the spoiler and I'm confused about the exponent, as surely it would introduce negative powers? The function of v I think is 1/v^2.

edit: negative powers if the exponent is less than 0, which seems to be the only way to get a negative u?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Rearrange into the form dy/dx + P(x)*y = Q(x) and use the integrating factor. I assume you have heard of integrating factor?
Original post by zacn01
I'm getting d/dv(4uv), but this leaves me with 4v du/dv + 4u, and we want v and -4u, so I'm sure I'm not quite right there, I checked the spoiler and I'm confused about the exponent, as surely it would introduce negative powers? The function of y I think is 1/y^2.

edit: negative powers if the exponent is less than 0, which seems to be the only way to get a negative u?

Yes, you'll have negative powers - this isn't inherently a problem.

e.g. if you have x dy/dx - 2y = x^4, you can observe

ddxy/x2=1x2dydx2yx3=1x3(xdydx2y)\dfrac{d}{dx} y/x^2 = \dfrac{1}{x^2}\dfrac{dy}{dx} - \dfrac{2y}{x^3} = \dfrac{1}{x^3}\left(x \dfrac{dy}{dx}-2y\right), and from there you can deduce x3ddxy/x2=xdydx2yx^3 \dfrac{d}{dx} y/x^2 = x \dfrac{dy}{dx}-2y and you can then substitute that in your original equation to finish.

Original post by MiladA

I agree the natural way to solve this is by IF, but I'm trying to work with what seems to be the intended plan of spotting an appropriate substitution (which is basically the same as "spotting" the IF that works).
Reply 5

ddxy/x2=1x2dydx2yx3=1x3(xdydx2y)\dfrac{d}{dx} y/x^2 = \dfrac{1}{x^2}\dfrac{dy}{dx} - \dfrac{2y}{x^3} = \dfrac{1}{x^3}\left(x \dfrac{dy}{dx}-2y\right), and from there you can deduce x3ddxy/x2=xdydx2yx^3 \dfrac{d}{dx} y/x^2 = x \dfrac{dy}{dx}-2y and you can then substitute that in your original equation to finish.

I agree the natural way to solve this is by IF, but I'm trying to work with what seems to be the intended plan of spotting an appropriate substitution (which is basically the same as "spotting" the IF that works).

I have found the particular solution (and verified it) using the IF method by first rearranging into the form I mentioned above and spotting that the IF is e^integral(-4/x) dx.

It's easiest to rearrange into that form as you'll spot the IF required.
(edited 3 years ago)

ddxy/x2=1x2dydx2yx3=1x3(xdydx2y)\dfrac{d}{dx} y/x^2 = \dfrac{1}{x^2}\dfrac{dy}{dx} - \dfrac{2y}{x^3} = \dfrac{1}{x^3}\left(x \dfrac{dy}{dx}-2y\right), and from there you can deduce x3ddxy/x2=xdydx2y x^3 \dfrac{d}{dx} y/x^2 = x \dfrac{dy}{dx}-2y and you can then substitute that in your original equation to finish.

Ive ended up with ddv(u/v4)=1v5(vdudv4u) \dfrac{d}{dv} (u/v^4) = \frac{1}{v^5} (v \dfrac{du}{dv} - 4u) , which looks remotely like what we need, and so that whole thing multiplied by 1/v^2?
Original post by MiladA
Rearrange into the form dy/dx + P(x)*y = Q(x) and use the integrating factor. I assume you have heard of integrating factor?

I have heard of it, I haven't actually formally learnt ODEs, but I'm trying to get familiar as I've read that they're pretty important in Physics, but maybe my manipulation earlier today was trash because that lead me to incorrect solutions.
Reply 8
Original post by zacn01
I have heard of it, I haven't actually formally learnt ODEs, but I'm trying to get familiar as I've read that they're pretty important in Physics, but maybe my manipulation earlier today was trash because that lead me to incorrect solutions.

I'd take the time to learn the concept as it makes these questions sooo simple to solve.
Original post by MiladA
I have found the particular solution (and verified it) using the IF method by first rearranging into the form I mentioned above and spotting that the IF is e^integral(-4/x) dx.

It's easiest to rearrange into that form as you'll spot the IF required.

By "spotting the IF", I meant spotting the function f(x) s.t. ddxf(x)y\dfrac{d}{dx} f(x) y is a (function of x) times the desired expression involving dy/dx and y (i.e. not doing the e^integral(...) calculation). In this particular case I think that's more obvious with the form I gave, but obviously mileage may vary.
Original post by MiladA
I'd take the time to learn the concept as it makes these questions sooo simple to solve.

Definitely on my priority list, because there are plenty of IF de's on Isaac and they're all Physicsy so I think tomorrow I'll work through the ones in my textbook. Will serve me well for next year no doubt!
Original post by zacn01
Ive ended up with ddv(u/v4)=1v5(vdudv4u) \dfrac{d}{dv} (u/v^4) = \frac{1}{v^5} (v \dfrac{du}{dv} - 4u) , which looks remotely like what we need, and so that whole thing multiplied by 1/v^2?

I can't be bothered continually scrolling up and looking at the attachment in a new tab to be exact about things, but if you know that

(vdudv4u)=f(v)(v \dfrac{du}{dv} - 4u) = f(v), then you now know that ddv(u/v4)=1v5f(v)\dfrac{d}{dv}(u/v^4) = \frac{1}{v^5} f(v), at which point you should have something you can solve by integrating both sides w.r.t. v.

Or to put it another way, you've deduced that w = u/v^4 would be a good substittuion to try.
I can't be bothered continually scrolling up and looking at the attachment in a new tab to be exact about things, but if you know that

(vdudv4u)=f(v)(v \dfrac{du}{dv} - 4u) = f(v), then you now know that ddv(u/v4)=1v5f(v)\dfrac{d}{dv}(u/v^4) = \frac{1}{v^5} f(v), at which point you should have something you can solve by integrating both sides w.r.t. v.

Or to put it another way, you've deduced that w = u/v^4 would be a good substittuion to try.

Thanks, I've just got the correct answer! Thank you for being patient with me :smile:
Original post by zacn01
Thanks, I've just got the correct answer! Thank you for being patient with me :smile:

Cool. (The "can't be bothered" was more "I hate having to keep going up and down to refer to and hopefully not misremember part of the equation" impatience than anything with you).

Regarding the IF method: I sometimes find it hard to guess where the Isaac Physics authors are trying to go with certain concepts, but from what I've seen posted here they are trying to get people to think outside the fairly "regimented" box that is taught at A-level (where it's a bit "if you see X, you use technique Y"). So if they're saying "solve this equation by substitution" they probably don't want you to be using the integrating factor method (or at least not in the "rearrange as dy/dx + f(x)y = g(x) and then do these steps" way it's taught at A-level).

I could be completely wrong on that though - as I say, I often find I'm confused by what they're actually after even on questions I'm 100% happy solving on my own terms.
Cool. (The "can't be bothered" was more "I hate having to keep going up and down to refer to and hopefully not misremember part of the equation" impatience than anything with you).

Regarding the IF method: I sometimes find it hard to guess where the Isaac Physics authors are trying to go with certain concepts, but from what I've seen posted here they are trying to get people to think outside the fairly "regimented" box that is taught at A-level (where it's a bit "if you see X, you use technique Y"). So if they're saying "solve this equation by substitution" they probably don't want you to be using the integrating factor method (or at least not in the "rearrange as dy/dx + f(x)y = g(x) and then do these steps" way it's taught at A-level).

I could be completely wrong on that though - as I say, I often find I'm confused by what they're actually after even on questions I'm 100% happy solving on my own terms.

No totally, I understand what you mean - I've just seen on some threads and on Discord where people ask for help and are ridiculed!

I think differential equations and calculus in general is awesome and yeah there isn't any one way to do a problem, so it's good to practice loads of different ones!

Quick Reply

Latest