The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

I heard that Bristol have a shorter summer when it’s the longer year? Do you get a couple weeks off? Also what time of year did you start university because I thought it was a bit earlier for vet students but I’m not sure x

Original post by ALEreapp
I believe they are changing from next year but atm ours are identical to the rest of the uni… we will find out next term the exact changes in our structure. However I do know from 2026, 4th years start in welcome week to give longer for final year. We didn’t get a reading week however we did have a lighter week as it was ‘consolidation week’. The week before we break up for Xmas (week 12) is also all online for us so we can go home if we want to x
Original post by Vetstudent479
I heard that Bristol have a shorter summer when it’s the longer year? Do you get a couple weeks off? Also what time of year did you start university because I thought it was a bit earlier for vet students but I’m not sure x

We haven’t got the new dates for when we are not following the normal uni term dates but for summer we currently get like 3 months… (break up 10th June and new welcome week will start 9th September).

We had more stuff in welcome week than most other courses but none of it was compulsory. The vet society put on a welcome event for us at Langford that was completely free where we had our own lil freshers fair, a hog roast, pub quiz etc which was great fun. The AGEP course content starts in welcome week but atm BVSc do not x
Original post by ALEreapp
Oh that’s interesting, yeah so from like week 3 until the end of Nov (week 10?) we go every week for handling which is normally 2-4hrs. I think cats are the only one we just use a model for the rest we use live animals. We have our osces (I think RVC call the pre clinical practical exams smth slightly different according to my friend who did her biovet there and her boyf is currently also a first year there!) straight after exams after Xmas x

Thats quite nice tbh, we call them DOPS , and they're before the xmas hols so that we can do dairy during xmas if we want to, which is quite handy imo.
We do have 2 calves in camden if we want to use them, and theyre so sweet!!
Just wondering if there is anyone else who hasn’t heard back from Surrey about an interview. I haven’t been rejected and it says my SJT is ‘pending check’ and that my applications is being considered but I am worried as everyone else seems to have heard back about their interviews already.
Is anyone studying an access to higher education course applying to Bristol VetMed?

I'm currently an undergraduate in the US and applied to bristol both graduate entry and regular! I haven't heard anything since submitting my supplemental, though!
Original post by Tb769
Thanks Sarah,
When you say online portal you meant via UCAS ? So you are saying that people who just applied recently should have got acknowledgement but people.who applied in Sept and haven't received acknowledgement should contact admissions ?
Am sure there are quiet a few candidates here who applied in Sept and haven't got acknowledgement.
Is there anyone who recently applied and got acknowledgement from Uclan?
Thanks

Hi there @Tb769,

If you have applied for our Veterinary Medicine and Surgery course please be assured that our admissions team are working hard to process applications and you should hear from them soon. If you haven't received anything in the next few weeks, you can contact our admissions team directly at [email protected] for further support.

All the best,
Sarah
Reply 586
Received rejection email from Surrey this evening. Fingers crossed for the others now
Reply 587
Sorry to hear this. Was it a rejection after interview ?
Reply 588
I got a rejection from Bristol for the 5 year course (I was missing chemistry at A level) but still waiting on the accelerated graduate course so fingers crossed 🤞 I submitted my SAQ back in October so hopefully hear back soon
Reply 589
Is anyone studying an access to higher education course applying to Bristol VetMed?

Yes!
Reply 590
Original post by Jo007
Sorry to hear this. Was it a rejection after interview ?

Pre-interview, came via UCAS
Reply 591
Original post by RRID
I got a rejection from Bristol for the 5 year course (I was missing chemistry at A level) but still waiting on the accelerated graduate course so fingers crossed 🤞 I submitted my SAQ back in October so hopefully hear back soon

Best of luck.🍀🍀🤞🏻What first degree did you or are you doing?
Original post by Euapp
I can’t see anything on the Bristol website that states that they are considering those doing Access courses with « preference » or similar to « contextual » like last year. Have I missed something or have they withdrawn that?

Hey, I emailed them before applying and they sent me this statement in their email:

"The D100 Veterinary Science 2024 entry admissions statement*explains how applications will be assessed*for 2024*entry.**

Access to HE diploma students can currently benefit*from a guaranteed offer or interview at the University of Bristol on the condition that they meet or are on track to meet all the level 3 and GCSE entry requirements."

Kind of hard to tell as obviously our course is neither straight offer or interview haha! But the fact that they put it in the email in the first place is a good sign (I hope!). 🙂
Original post by averyskk
Hello! Are there any international applicants for the 5 year program on here? More specifically from America! :>

Yes! I am from America
Reply 594
Original post by lullabyspider
Hey, I emailed them before applying and they sent me this statement in their email:

"The D100 Veterinary Science 2024 entry admissions statement*explains how applications will be assessed*for 2024*entry.**

Access to HE diploma students can currently benefit*from a guaranteed offer or interview at the University of Bristol on the condition that they meet or are on track to meet all the level 3 and GCSE entry requirements."

Kind of hard to tell as obviously our course is neither straight offer or interview haha! But the fact that they put it in the email in the first place is a good sign (I hope!). 🙂

On their website it gets a bit more specific and says either medicine and dentistry - so I'm just hoping they mean Veterinary Medicine as well as Human
Reply 595
Original post by g1912
On their website it gets a bit more specific and says either medicine and dentistry - so I'm just hoping they mean Veterinary Medicine as well as Human

I think that it’s the same as last year in that case, where not all the Access course applicants were offered places because there was the clause about having to meet all the other selection criteria to a satisfactory level. However they were most definitely positively viewed from the number of offers given to applicants with access qualifications on this thread.
Reply 596
Original post by Euapp
Best of luck.🍀🍀🤞🏻What first degree did you or are you doing?

Thanks! I did a Biomedical Science degree back in 2016
Has anyone had an interview from Surrey and heard whether they were successful or not?
Original post by chelltune
Has anyone had an interview from Surrey and heard whether they were successful or not?

Not yet! I had my last week, but I don’t think that they would be that quick with giving people offers as I’m sure they probably have to wait for the majority of people to do their interview
Original post by chelltune

My daughter had one on the 2/11/23 and hasn’t heard back yet. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending