The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by dyingggg
do you have any tips on the sjt? got rejected by Nottingham because my score wasn't high enough but I don't really know where went wrong

Have you read ALL of this?
https://www.rcvs.org.uk/m/code/?item=page-code-of-professional-conduct-for-veterinary-surgeons#page
Original post by will090909
Do you have any tips for the interview, I have had 2 interviews and both time have been rejected so any help would be great.

What type of interview did you have?

My top tips:
Pick your outfit out the night before- take any and all stress out of it.
Be chatty. Between stations be chatty. Ask how the examiner is. Laugh, smile be personable
Stay calm. Take any and all breaks/ water offered. It’s not the end of the world if it goes wrong. Try to enjoy it.
Chat to other candidates it relieves nerves and makes you seem friendly.
If it’s a group task be the time keeper. Be the person that directs the group and keeps everyone on track. It shows leadership and teamwork.
Say your opinion in group tasks but listen to the majority
Be prepared. Read recent articles and make sure you know your personal statement off by heart just in case.
Try to answer direct interview questions online
Ask if your school/ any vets in the area would do mock interviews. I joined the med school mock interviews. Some mock med school interview questions can be found online.

It’s hard to give specific advice but just make sure you feel prepared and ready and it will come across well.
Original post by dyingggg
do you have any tips on the sjt? got rejected by Nottingham because my score wasn't high enough but I don't really know where went wrong

It’s hard because I seemed to just be decent at it. Although I did practice a lot of online SJTs. There is plenty online. Keep practicing and you will eventually get it and just naturally improve.
yes I have, I have also read the day one competencies, doing more practices might help me, thank you though!
If anyone is interested in lambing in Scotland this year: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7322861#post98155523
I posted again bc the old one was deleted:smile:
Not sure if anyone would be interested but I’ve decided to start a grow your grades blog here because I failed my second year vet mocks but I’ve decided to also include info on how Liverpool does exams, course structure etc and am happy to answer questions on there. Not so much advertising the thread (not exactly proud of failing 😂) but thought it might be interesting to maybe some prospective Liverpool applicants.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7322877
Original post by flamingolover
I’ve just had a look through my emails and through the notts student placement portal. I was only able to find one place called Chevening home farm which is in Kent. There’s many placements that offer caravan accomodation (self catered) if that would be of interest to you

Thank you! I'll definitely have a look- finding farmers can be so hard haha
Reply 67
Original post by Anna.joy.charles

I think I sent you a PM with a farmers details for dairy wex.
Original post by Euapp
I think I sent you a PM with a farmers details for dairy wex.

I’ve just had a look through my emails and through the notts student placement portal. I was only able to find one place called Chevening home farm which is in Kent. There’s many placements that offer caravan accomodation (self catered) if that would be of interest to you

Would you happen to have the details for Cheveney Farm? It's not too far from me so would be perfect. Also yes definitely interested in the self catered options if there are any around Kent/Sussex. Thank you!!

One of the hardest parts! Honestly if you have one farming like lambing you’ll be brought up to speed with species you aren’t confident in so I wouldn’t worry too much!
Would you happen to have the details for Cheveney Farm? It's not too far from me so would be perfect. Also yes definitely interested in the self catered options if there are any around Kent/Sussex. Thank you!!

None of the self catered options are around Kent/Sussex. I wil message you about the farm now
Hi! My names Beth and I'm graduating next year hoping to start study in September 2024 I'm probably going to apply for the graduate programmes at Bristol Edinburgh and RVC and then Liverpool or Nottingham 5 year as my 4th option! Work experience wise I've got it all booked for this summer including; 2 weeks lambing in Easter, 2 weeks at a kennels and cattery, 3 days at a equine vet practice, and then 4 weeks at 3 different small animal practices I really hope I've got enough work expericne bc I don't want to take a gap year after my degree!
Original post by Beth_gallacher
Hi! My names Beth and I'm graduating next year hoping to start study in September 2024 I'm probably going to apply for the graduate programmes at Bristol Edinburgh and RVC and then Liverpool or Nottingham 5 year as my 4th option! Work experience wise I've got it all booked for this summer including; 2 weeks lambing in Easter, 2 weeks at a kennels and cattery, 3 days at a equine vet practice, and then 4 weeks at 3 different small animal practices I really hope I've got enough work expericne bc I don't want to take a gap year after my degree!

Wishing you the best of luck!! I am current student at Nottingham so let me know if you have any questions
Wishing you the best of luck!! I am current student at Nottingham so let me know if you have any questions

Thank you! Bit of a vague question but what's Nottingham vet school like bc I'm trying to decide between nottingham and Liverpool as my 4th choice haha
Thank you! Bit of a vague question but what's Nottingham vet school like bc I'm trying to decide between nottingham and Liverpool as my 4th choice haha

I love Nottingham. I think a bit thing to consider is the lifestyle you want. The Sutton Bonington campus is rural. It takes 45 minutes on bus and tram into the city centre for nights out and about 20-25 minutes in the car. There are partys and stuff on campus but it is very quieter. There’s lots of animals on site that you can go and handle at any time between scheduled times. This includes, rabbits, gerbils, Guinea pigs, rats, mice, chinchilla, pigs, sheep, cow, horses, bearded dragons, corn snake and milk snakes!

It is also a very practical course. The days you have practicals on is the same every week. So I have practicals on every Tuesday afternoon and all day Thursday! There’s also clinical relevance twice a week where you go through clinical cases as well as self directed learning and then of course lectures (which are all recorded).

There’s some really nice study and chill areas. There is an arboretum on campus. Monthly farmers markets! Vets in the community is a charity clinic where you can provide vet care (supervised) from first year so it’s great to learn how to inject and stuff very early on in the course.
I love Nottingham. I think a bit thing to consider is the lifestyle you want. The Sutton Bonington campus is rural. It takes 45 minutes on bus and tram into the city centre for nights out and about 20-25 minutes in the car. There are partys and stuff on campus but it is very quieter. There’s lots of animals on site that you can go and handle at any time between scheduled times. This includes, rabbits, gerbils, Guinea pigs, rats, mice, chinchilla, pigs, sheep, cow, horses, bearded dragons, corn snake and milk snakes!

It is also a very practical course. The days you have practicals on is the same every week. So I have practicals on every Tuesday afternoon and all day Thursday! There’s also clinical relevance twice a week where you go through clinical cases as well as self directed learning and then of course lectures (which are all recorded).

There’s some really nice study and chill areas. There is an arboretum on campus. Monthly farmers markets! Vets in the community is a charity clinic where you can provide vet care (supervised) from first year so it’s great to learn how to inject and stuff very early on in the course.

Thank you for the reply! That helps it sounds really lively and I don't mind too much being in the country side more as I've spent 3 years in a big city haha!
Thank you for the reply! That helps it sounds really lively and I don't mind too much being in the country side more as I've spent 3 years in a big city haha!

Yeah there are some good events and plenty of people do nights out in the city! It is pretty quite day to day but not boring!
Hi all, Im a current y13 offer holder for both RVC gateway and Nottingham;
if there's any questions you guys have about the application process I'll try my best to help out :tongue:

When applying I had 235+ hrs work experience, including;

- 2 weeks at 2 different mixed practises
- A summer working in a boarding kennel (approaching 1 year now :biggrin:)
- 1 week's mornings at a cattery
- 1 week dairy
- 1 day pork abattoir
- 1 day vet labs
- 3 days after school volunteering at a stable

Usually you'd have lambing and more farm work in general, but I was under covid time restraints :redface:

I got rejected from my other 3 applications for;
- Nottingham Gateway (automatic as I met D100 criteria)
- RVC D100
- Bristol D100

Any questions, just let me know! :smile:
Can I ask what course you are considering for your 5th non-vet course on your ucas application? Wondering if its best to choose a vet related bioscience type course, possibly access course, or go with a 3yr degree ? Trying to have the best chance of getting into vet school if A levels, interviews etc don't come off 1st time. Any advice?
Reply 79
Original post by Milliemum17
Can I ask what course you are considering for your 5th non-vet course on your ucas application? Wondering if its best to choose a vet related bioscience type course, possibly access course, or go with a 3yr degree ? Trying to have the best chance of getting into vet school if A levels, interviews etc don't come off 1st time. Any advice?

Most people don’t put a 5th unless they wouldn’t / can’t consider reapplying. Otherwise it tends to be bioscience , zoology etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending