The Student Room Group

Improving by 1% Uni GYG

Sooo y'all fave Liverpool vet student (said jokingly) failed her mocks by 1% in both theory and practical. Oops. Cue the anxiety and imposter syndrome and all despite it only being 1%, I'm not thriving atm. I do find it struggle to revise properly during term, I feel if I focus on one thing then I get a pile of other things building up. And during holidays I get ridiculous anxiety around revising, but now I have some medical help with that so it might be better. Except 2 of 3 weeks of Easter holidays are taken up by placements, and I have no other time off til my first exam on 17th May so I will have to pull myself up with revising in-term. I felt like making this mostly to hold myself accountable and so I can look back and see what I've done, but I suppose it can be useful for vet applicants to see what a vet student gets up to, and maybe for other students to not feel alone in setbacks.

I don't have the dates for all my exams yet, but if anyone was interested in how the exams are done I'll do a little explanation below.

Spoiler

So, first year I did pretty well getting around 70% ish in my exams. Things I think went wrong now:

Spoiler

So things I am going to attempt over the next 2 months to try and fix those things:

Spoiler

But, I don't just have revision to do. I do also have to do these things in-term (ignoring placements):

Spoiler

I feel if I actually update on here it will make me actually do the work so let's try it

Scroll to see replies

Just to add some more info for anyone interested in how vet med is run at Liverpool:

Spoiler

So first day of this thread. I am currently back home home for the weekend, which I rarely do during term time as I do live a 3.5 hour drive away but I have tomorrow online (very rare) and I've been feeling very deflated about the failing situation, and just had to end things with a guy I've been talking to for a while, so overall I just wanted to see my dog and parents. I haven't done any work since Thursday (hence thought this thread might make me actually do things) so I have a bit to do.

I have already done my daily MCQ practice on parasitology which I found relatively ok. As said I need to do catch up on making new tables for subjects, and as my parents are out so can't distract me I'll try to get a bit done. Today's goals:
- Finish making parasitology tables - I've been making this file for a while but haven't finished it, and now we have just had our last 'new' parasitology content for the year I believe on sheep ectoparasites so it'd be nice to finish off this subject. So I've already done dog, cat, horse and cattle fleas, ticks, lice and flies, I still need to do the mites section for all species and I also need to add all the sheep ones. I then want to do a summary of treatments etc at the end as there's generally overlaps to make learning it easier.
- Go through my tables for reproduction and endocrine. These are paired together in a fortnight as they do interact quite closely together, and it was the first fortnight this year so I feel I have forgotten it a bit by now.

I'm not sure how long the 2 tasks above will take so those are my 2 ideal things. BUT if I have brain space left I will try tackling these too, but it's okay if I can't:
- Start making tables for infectious disease pharmacology - we've only had a couple lectures on this and have some in weeks to come so I can't finish them, but if I do what we've done so far on antifungals and small animal antibiotic selection then it'll make it easier later. I have finished the species-specific tables for this subject so that's the last thing I need to finish this whole subject off for the year which will be nice to tick off.
- Continue on making tables for the last urinary and respiratory fortnight - these are a paired fortnight too, it ended the week before last but I didn't get round to making the tables for them so I have several hours to spend on this. I do enjoy this subject but I definitely need to spend time wrapping my head round metabolic/respiratory alkalosis/acidosis - but I feel once I understand it it'll be alright.
Good luck!!
Reply 3
Hey Ramble!! You can do this!!
Good luck! I just wanted to pop by and say that I failed some of my second year mocks (and one of my first year mock papers) and I'm now past halfway through the degree at Liverpool. I know it feels horrible not passing the mocks, but that's all they are. If you ever need to chat about imposterism (I prefer that term over imposter syndrome), then feel free to message me as it isn't always the easiest of things to deal with.

Once again, good luck! You've got this!
Original post by Euapp
Hey Ramble!! You can do this!!

Thank you!
Original post by OrangeArcher
Good luck! I just wanted to pop by and say that I failed some of my second year mocks (and one of my first year mock papers) and I'm now past halfway through the degree at Liverpool. I know it feels horrible not passing the mocks, but that's all they are. If you ever need to chat about imposterism (I prefer that term over imposter syndrome), then feel free to message me as it isn't always the easiest of things to deal with.

Once again, good luck! You've got this!

Thank you so much! I really want to get to third year to do the fun things of running the buddy meal and the half way weekend aha. It was a bit of a blow as I didn't feel too dreadful after the mocks when I did after my first year exams that ended up going fine, and then these ones weren't the best. But my 49% is still higher than the average mark of the year for the theory so there's also that, most people failed something in my year these mocks and I've heard last year second years were similar? It's just so hard, if I focus on revision then I'm behind on notes and continuous assessment, then if I do one of the others the other 2 build up aha. At least I'm enjoying the course content more than first year. How are you finding third year?
Yesterday I only managed to get my first two tasks done with finishing my parasitology file and doing my repro/endocrine tables, it did end up taking 4.5 hours :rolleyes: Today I will be travelling back to Liverpool in the evening and I want to spend some time with my family so I'll have a more relaxed day. I think I will focus on trying to dig myself from under notes I'm behind on, I have 4 head NSF lectures from last week to catch up on, plus 2 haematology pathology lectures today that are run online as the lecturer is based in America. But that is all the lectures for this week as it is more practical based it seems, so at least once that is done I don't have to worry about notes for a little bit. I will also do my 10 MCQs on cardiovascular NSF, and if I have time do the infectious disease pharmacology table start. I've also got to poke my parents to fill out student finance for next year.
Original post by RambleAmple
Thank you!

Thank you so much! I really want to get to third year to do the fun things of running the buddy meal and the half way weekend aha. It was a bit of a blow as I didn't feel too dreadful after the mocks when I did after my first year exams that ended up going fine, and then these ones weren't the best. But my 49% is still higher than the average mark of the year for the theory so there's also that, most people failed something in my year these mocks and I've heard last year second years were similar? It's just so hard, if I focus on revision then I'm behind on notes and continuous assessment, then if I do one of the others the other 2 build up aha. At least I'm enjoying the course content more than first year. How are you finding third year?

I do think most people in my year failed something in the second year mocks but majority of us passed through to third year.

I totally get what you mean about trying to focus on one thing and then you get behind on other things. I still haven't figured out a great method for myself but I am managing to get through so far.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the course content a lot more than first year. I definitely felt the same about second year in comparison to first year and I feel the same this year in comparison to second year. Third year is great content wise but it can be a long slog due to your research project and other continuous assessment pieces (there's not tons of them but they are big pieces and take a lot of time to do). I am ready to finish third year and get to fourth year and Leahurst campus, so I can look forward to rotations.
Original post by OrangeArcher
I do think most people in my year failed something in the second year mocks but majority of us passed through to third year.

I totally get what you mean about trying to focus on one thing and then you get behind on other things. I still haven't figured out a great method for myself but I am managing to get through so far.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the course content a lot more than first year. I definitely felt the same about second year in comparison to first year and I feel the same this year in comparison to second year. Third year is great content wise but it can be a long slog due to your research project and other continuous assessment pieces (there's not tons of them but they are big pieces and take a lot of time to do). I am ready to finish third year and get to fourth year and Leahurst campus, so I can look forward to rotations.

That's reassuring to hear you are enjoying third year! I am dreading the research project next year, it does sound very long and I'm already not loving the lit review aha. Is there a difference in lecture time compared to second year? I feel the pace is much easier to keep up with this year than first year, having around 10 lectures a week roughly is much better than the like 20 weekly in first year.
So yesterday I had a naughty day off because absolutely everything seemed to try and go wrong, had 3 things I'd prepared for cancelled and a long couple hours sorting myself out with doctors. I did some useful general life things like food shopping and getting my car washed (salt from the long motorway drive made it disgusting), and luckily I do have a very chilled week so it's not too big of a deal. On Monday I got a couple hours of doing notes in before I had to pack and leave, finished my head NSF notes but not much else. My parents had convinced me to leave my pet rats behind with them as I'm coming back for Easter in 3 weeks anyway (mostly because they really love them even though they've already stolen my chinchillas) but I regret it now because they've been so good for destressing aha.

Today I had a doctor's appointment, clinical skills in the morning with OSPE practice, came back home and chilled for a bit, went to the pharmacy then went to Starbucks to do work there. I have periods where I can be productive at home and periods where I really cannot, and with going to a cafe to revise as opposed to the library I feel more motivated to get up and actually go so I do use that quite a lot. I did about 2 hours work there, first hour spending on haematology pathology notes, so now I'm done with notes until next week at least. Second hour I spent finally doing my IND pharmacology tables and then I finished off doing my very overdue GI pharmacology tables. Now I've returned home for a bit of a break but I intend to do some more, I think I will make my tables for inflammation and haematology pathology to keep on top of it. I reckon that will probably take me long enough as I don't like working into the night most days as I find it hard to shut my brain off to sleep. Plus I have been upkeeping doing 10 correct MCQs daily which I feel is good as it means I definitely do some revision daily, even if it is fairly passive.
I underestimated how long the tables would take me and how much brain power I had left last night 😂 I’ve done most of my inflammation tables but didn’t finish. Today I’ve got a 3 hour head dissection from 10, then at 3pm I’ve got my communication skills assessment on taking histories with an actor. I will stay on campus for lunch and to do some prep for the assessment between these times, and as the assessment is only like 15 min with feedback I will probably go back to the library. I’ve not done any prep (beside going to the formal practice peer roleplay sessions in the last month) to not stress myself out about it, and I feel it’ll go better if it’s not scripted and I just know the points I have to hit - it is only worth 2 credits too, so not worth spending hours lamenting over. I think I’ll just review the mark scheme, the consult model and note the most important things I want to ask. At the library I want to finish doing my inflammation tables and hopefully also my haematology, and depending how long that takes I might try to do my last portfolio competence on communication skills as I could refer to today’s assessment. I like doing any kind of longer writing like the portfolio at home, I find it nicer to cosy up in bed with my laptop and cup of tea, so I think it’ll be a productive day but with a “see how I’m feeling” vibe as to what I do. As portfolio is one of the 2 major continuous assessment things looming over my head right now I feel it’ll be good to get it out the way so maybe it’ll feel less snowed over with tasks I need to do.

And speaking of snow, I just looked out my window and it’s starting to settle today! Yesterday it did snow a bit too but didn’t stay.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Keep up the good work!! You are getting there!!🤗
Original post by Euapp
Keep up the good work!! You are getting there!!🤗

Thank you! I feel this is quite a good week for catching up a bit, hopefully I'll do more of my lit review in the next few days so I can forget about continuous assessment for the most part
Reply 13
Thank you! I feel this is quite a good week for catching up a bit, hopefully I'll do more of my lit review in the next few days so I can forget about continuous assessment for the most part

PRSOM
That's reassuring to hear you are enjoying third year! I am dreading the research project next year, it does sound very long and I'm already not loving the lit review aha. Is there a difference in lecture time compared to second year? I feel the pace is much easier to keep up with this year than first year, having around 10 lectures a week roughly is much better than the like 20 weekly in first year.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I found semester one of third year to be a bit quieter as we had our research project take up a whole day each week (apart from the long wellbeing weekend) but the amount of lectures has picked up again in semester two. Next week we have approximately 20 hours of lectures and that doesn't take into account any other sessions taking place that aren't lectures.

If I am being honest, I have found third year quite a struggle with the continuous assessment. I would much rather just have exams rather than assignments and found it difficult to keep on track with my research project and I constantly feel like I am behind on everything when it comes to lectures etc. and assignments. We currently have three assignments all due within the next week or two and our research project was due mid February, so it just feels like one stress after another. It's not all doom and gloom though as third year has a lot more clinical information and the content is very interesting, but third year can be a bit of a slog.
Yesterday I ended up having quite an unproductive day, oops. I did some work on pro skills but then my communication asssessment went awfully because I got nervous, and while I'm not bothered about the outcome as it's worth very little it just put me in a very stressy mood so I chose to relax instead. But today I've decided to change my focus for this weekend and focus on doing my big continuous assessment tasks which are looming over my head all the time and a big reason for me being so stressed. I spent 4 hours doing my lit review today and it is so long, I've already spent several hours before doing a basic intro and getting my sources etc so I thought it won't take toooo long to basically just organise them and write them up. But no, 4 hours later and I'm on nearly 1000 words and I've just finished my intro properly. Not sure the intro is meant to take up 1000 of 2500 words but I did what my supervisor told me to so we'll see how writing the rest goes. I think I will just really grind my lit review this weekend and I aim to have a draft to send to my supervisor by Monday, and I also want to finish my last portfolio competence and catch up on my clinical skills diary, and that will hopefully decrease my stress levels as I won't have that building up so I can then focus on new content and revision.

Beside that, today I spent the morning doing a deep clean of my room and bathroom as I notice trends that when things aren't clean I get down and less willing to work. I half listened to an online haematology 'practical' while doing that, then I had a tutorial and then a group task on case-based learning. Then sat myself in a cafe to do my lit review but had to go home fairly soon and carry on there as the wifi was awful.
Yesterday I had a productive day, started with my last portfolio competence which took about an hour, then I spent about half an hour catching up on my clinical skills diary but didn’t quite finish as I got very bored of it and didn’t want to lose my flow. I spent another 2 hours on my lit review starting the body and ended up only writing 300 more words but hopefully now I have a method finishing it won’t take as long… we’ll see as I’ve currently sat down in Starbucks with a toastie and mocha for late breakfast so hopefully I’ll spend a while in here cracking on with it. It is such a lovely warmer day today makes me feel much more positive.
Well, I did it. Reached my 2500 words, 4 more hours today, in total since I've started I've spent 14 hours to get to this stage, 10 being this weekend. Apart from my 1000 word intro which I've reviewed twice, the rest of it is probably very rough currently and needs rewording and whatnot. I plan to do that tomorrow morning as right now my brain physically hurts, and with things like essays I think you have to take a good break away from it and review again at least the next day with a fresh pair of eyes to make the best adjustments. Then as soon as I'm happy enough I didn't make any extremely dumb wording mistakes I will send it to my supervisor for review, I want to make sure the actual content is in the right place before spending any more hours perfecting everything - very scared my supervisor will tell me it's awful and to just highlight it all and hit the delete button 😂 Taking a break this evening! I've been trying to binge watch You on Netflix so plan to get some hours in on that.
Probably an awful update, after finishing my lit review on Sunday I spent some time editing the wording on Monday and went to ask my supervisor for help like whether to include tables etc, only to find they are away until after the first draft is due so I guess I'm just going to leave the draft how it is. For some reason I got very down and demotivated with everything on Monday, so I've taken the week off doing anything serious to regain some footing and I feel it might've been good for me, I won't be able to take a proper break until exams now as they approach. I did some little tasks every day that were more admin like my tutor meeting, clinical skills diary, EMS diary, consolidation workbook task etc. I am behind on lectures etc now but I am hoping to focus on them this weekend, next week is much more busy so I'll have to keep on top of my notes then too so that in the Easter holidays I can focus on placements and starting revision properly. I think I won't try to overload myself with tasks as that is when I think my brain nopes out and then I have to take extended breaks which are not ideal. With it being a nice day I always tend to feel much more positive and I do feel much better having continous assessment virtually out of my head, and I did decide to treat myself to a Nintendo Switch so that I can look forward to playing it more post exams as I wanted one for ages, it should be coming today so I'll be trying to work at home until it arrives, if it happens early in the day I may move over to Starbucks.
Reply 19
Probably an awful update, after finishing my lit review on Sunday I spent some time editing the wording on Monday and went to ask my supervisor for help like whether to include tables etc, only to find they are away until after the first draft is due so I guess I'm just going to leave the draft how it is. For some reason I got very down and demotivated with everything on Monday, so I've taken the week off doing anything serious to regain some footing and I feel it might've been good for me, I won't be able to take a proper break until exams now as they approach. I did some little tasks every day that were more admin like my tutor meeting, clinical skills diary, EMS diary, consolidation workbook task etc. I am behind on lectures etc now but I am hoping to focus on them this weekend, next week is much more busy so I'll have to keep on top of my notes then too so that in the Easter holidays I can focus on placements and starting revision properly. I think I won't try to overload myself with tasks as that is when I think my brain nopes out and then I have to take extended breaks which are not ideal. With it being a nice day I always tend to feel much more positive and I do feel much better having continous assessment virtually out of my head, and I did decide to treat myself to a Nintendo Switch so that I can look forward to playing it more post exams as I wanted one for ages, it should be coming today so I'll be trying to work at home until it arrives, if it happens early in the day I may move over to Starbucks.

It’s not an awful update just an honest one!!
Can’t you email the draft to your supervisor? They may have time to look at it even if they’re not actually on site?
Good luck not using the switch until after exams!! The temptation is going to be awful!!😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending