The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student5255118
Has anyone done interviews for Liverpool yet? They started this week and mines on Wednesday, feeling very nervous as I’ve never had an interview before. Wondering if anyone knows what sort of things they’ll ask so I can feel a bit more prepared!!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it! Mine is on Thursday, it's crazy how fast it has come around.
Really impatient now to hear from Nottingham and Aberystwyth so hoping they send something this week or at least next week :smile:
Original post by Euapp
Hard as it seems, no one can give you the answer to this. The interviews are in a way a competition and those with the best scores get the offers. For this reason you officially undertake not to communicate the questions to anyone else, and if found doing so could lose your place.
Obviously there are general things that you can look at, for example your PS. Make sure that you are very familiar with what you put in it and think about questions that could be generated from what you said. If you kept a wex diary, look at your highlights good and bad, and think about what you learnt from them. Learning points don’t have to be intellectual, they can be things about how you handle sensitive issues or difficult clients. As @ALEreapp has said look at the code of conduct and current topics of interest in the veterinary field. But generally just try and communicate your enthusiasm and your wish to learn. They are looking for the right students, not qualified vets, so they are not expect you to know everything already.

I appreciate the help. I don’t want to cheat, obviously it needs to be fair for everyone and as you said it’s a competition. I was just wondering if anyone knew a rough idea of what could be asked as I’ve heard some unis like to ask about chemistry and biology so wasn’t sure if I should be revising!! Sorry if I communicated that badly in my initial message, I didn’t intend to come across as a cheat or wanting the answers to all the questions.
Original post by Anna.joy.charles
Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it! Mine is on Thursday, it's crazy how fast it has come around.
Really impatient now to hear from Nottingham and Aberystwyth so hoping they send something this week or at least next week :smile:

I haven’t heard back from Nottingham either so I’m glad I’m not alone in that! Good luck to you too, I agree it’s come around so quickly, very scary!!
Reply 783
I appreciate the help. I don’t want to cheat, obviously it needs to be fair for everyone and as you said it’s a competition. I was just wondering if anyone knew a rough idea of what could be asked as I’ve heard some unis like to ask about chemistry and biology so wasn’t sure if I should be revising!! Sorry if I communicated that badly in my initial message, I didn’t intend to come across as a cheat or wanting the answers to all the questions.

You didn’t come across as a cheat and everyone can sympathise with your anxiety. It’s just unfortunate that because of the high competition for places people can’t provide you with precise answers. You may have an anatomy orientated question, you may not. Questions change from year to year. But they won’t expect you to know species specific anatomy and if you have a basic understanding of human anatomy you would be able to work your way through any question given. Even if you make a mistake it’s not the end of the world. You talk through your reasoning out loud so they can see how you arrived at your answer, because it’s as much a way of finding out how you think as what you know.
Try not to panic. They know that you might be nervous and will try and make you feel at ease. They are not trying to trip you up.
Best of luck😊
Reply 784
I haven’t heard back from Nottingham either so I’m glad I’m not alone in that! Good luck to you too, I agree it’s come around so quickly, very scary!!

In the last two years at least, people seemed to get interview decisions for Nottingham right at the end of November, so I'm guessing it will be something similar this year
I'm sure this has been asked before on this thread, but how long do you have to wait to hear back from Liverpool after an interview? I have mine tomorrow and I'm so nervous hahaha, I don't think I'm going to remember everything I've tried to research and practise
Original post by itsablandlife
I'm sure this has been asked before on this thread, but how long do you have to wait to hear back from Liverpool after an interview? I have mine tomorrow and I'm so nervous hahaha, I don't think I'm going to remember everything I've tried to research and practise

If I remember from previous years, Liverpool give all their offers out on the same day so it doesn’t matter when you are interviewed. I believe it tends to be very shortly before Xmas aswell. They have 3 categories; deferred offers (pretty sure that is generally most of them and quite a few get changed through the year), standard coming September offers and rejections.
Original post by JayneeMay
Just got an interview invite from RVC! So excited. Hopefully second time lucky for me! 🙏🙏🎉

Congratulations !! I was a second timer too so everything crossed for you x
Original post by tllewellyn
Congratulations !! I was a second timer too so everything crossed for you x

Ah yes I remember you from last year! Seem to remember we were both v late rejections from RVC …Where are you reapplying to this year? I’m applying to RVC, Bristol, Liverpool and Edinburgh…
Ah yes I remember you from last year! Seem to remember we were both v late rejections from RVC …Where are you reapplying to this year? I’m applying to RVC, Bristol, Liverpool and Edinburgh…

Sorry - just re read your note so you got in last year? Congrats!! Where are you now?!!
Reply 790
Hi, I have my Liverpool interview on Thursday and was wondering what people are wearing? I was thinking just a white collared shirt with a smart jumper overtop but now I'm not sure.Thanks!
Reply 791
So happy to have received an interview offer from RVC today!! :smile:
Reply 792
Original post by ancfri
Hi, I have my Liverpool interview on Thursday and was wondering what people are wearing? I was thinking just a white collared shirt with a smart jumper overtop but now I'm not sure.Thanks!

Sounds fine to me. Comfortable and clean but no jeans with holes in.
Original post by fox09

Congratulations 🥳 x
Original post by fox09

Yay! Congrats! Me too! 🎉😃
Original post by itsablandlife

Just to give you some idea, my daughter interviewed on 8th December last year and her offer of a place came through on the day of her Nottingham interview which was 20th/21st December.
Good luck, you'll be fine
Reply 796
Original post by RambleAmple
+ to @georgenringo from the other page. Congrats on getting interviews! I'm a third year at Liverpool and I have a GYG blog on here where I have some advice for applicants etc on the first 2 posts. I think we had the same format for my year so I know a bit about it but I know the questions are changed yearly, so this isn't 'giving anything away' as obviously actual questions can't be shared and this is more advice applicable to any interview.

So the interviewers will more than likely be lovely, and while some formality should obviously be maintained don't be afraid to have a joke with them, they'll more than likely respond well and it'll show you have some personality. The good thing with it being online, you can have short notes around your laptop (just like cue words e.g. 'work experience' or something to help you remember to mention stuff not whole sentences, obviously don't make it too obvious you're looking at them) as well as something in your lap to fiddle with if it helps your nerves. Also you can wear comfy bottoms aha.

Liverpool have always been big on work experience and hasn't got rid of the requirements unlike other vet schools and prior to covid has always had the highest requirements so I'd say you have to be pretty prepared to be able to discuss this in detail. I'd prepare for this part (and can apply it for other things like any sports, school things, etc you do) with a kind of 'point, evidence, explain' structure you may do for English and other subjects. Point being a trait of a good vet/vet student, e.g. empathy, resilience, team working. Evidence e.g. you worked in a team at the stables etc. Explain, why this is relevant to being a good vet/student - e.g. as a vet you work in a team with your nurses and other vet staff. Obviously in a better fashion than that, but then you are prepared for every way they can ask you the question - e.g. they can start with the 'explain' or 'evidence', but you have the whole 'paragraph' formed just have to rearrange it (don't parrot learn responses as this will put on more pressure to remember it).

Ethics is another thing I'd prepare for - read into some relevant things atm like XL bully ban, brachycephalic dogs, badger culling with TB etc. There is no 'right answer', but you do have to make judgements that are justified. Stick to your guns with your answer as they'll probably make you explain why you think that in depth but this isn't because you are incorrect, but do explore the other side a little bit to show you understand why others may have a different opinion, but then reiterate why you think your opinion is correct.

I'd also prepare for the common questions like 'why you want to be a vet', 'worst trait' etc etc - they can actually be the hardest to answer aha. Good luck!

What did you wear? I have seen mixed reposnes on the level of formality so I have become quite unsure 🙈
Original post by Hannah162782
Hi I was reading somewhere that the uclan foundation entry you just needed a certain score to automatically go into the vet course but I thought you had to reapply with the vet applicants the next year? Anyone have any definitive answers as to how exactly it works?

Hi there @Hannah162782, 😊

Great to see that you are interested in our Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine & Surgery (BVMS) foundation entry programme. This programme offers the potential entry route to our BVMS programme. Students will start at Year 0 of the foundation entry course which will allow them to develop and demonstrate the necessary subject-specific knowledge and abilities to participate in the progression process.

Our BVMS programme is highly competitive, so in order to progress onto Year One of the course, you'll need to go through the usual application process which includes:
-Meet the qualifying grade criteria in Year 0
-Apply for BVMS Year One in your first semester of Year 0
-Complete the interview selection event
-Receive an offer to join the BVMS 5-year programme
-Meet any conditional requirements of the offer
-Join the BVMS 5-year programme at the start of the next academic year

I hope this help, if you do have any questions do let me know. 😊

All the best,
Sarah
(edited 5 months ago)
Yay! Congrats! Me too! 🎉😃