The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Vetmum13
I really hope you get your place this year - you really deserve it and I 100% agree with the right uni chooses you x

Hi
I agree
Original post by Gringo12345
RVC is the only English university (the other being the Scottish ones) where half the intake is international. Everyone else is less than 10% and often basically nearly zero. So it’s nothing to do with lack of funding. It’s just greed. Hey - Nothing wrong in being greedy and nothing wrong in foreign students paying up to get in if they can, but it makes no sense from a government policy point of view. They should cap the number of foreign students in areas where there a significant shortage of professionals in the Uk, like vet. That’s just my two cents.

I can tell you categorically everyone else is less than 10%’ is a lie. My year at Bristol is probably close to atleast 25% international which has recently increased because they need the money. Can confirm Scottish schools definitely have far more than 10% and so does Cambridge. I cannot find the stats for Nottingham but if I can’t find the stats it means you cannot objectively say the breakdown of their cohort.
It makes perfect sense from a gov policy pov, internationals pay a fortune in visas, NHS surcharge, spend loads on eating out, don’t take student finance loans… I really think you need to stop talking about something you obviously are clueless about.

The issue in veterinary is far deeper than ‘internationals taking home student spots’ it’s a lack of sufficient wages for long hours, it’s abuse of veterinary professionals, it’s the serious lacking rate of retention after graduation due to burnout.
As an applicant you really do not understand the pov of veterinary schools and professionals so please don’t act like you do because objectively your ‘two cents’ is just untrue.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ALEreapp
I can tell you categorically everyone else is less than 10%’ is a lie. My year at Bristol is probably close to atleast 25% international which has recently increased because they need the money. Scottish schools definitely have far more than 10% and so does Cambridge.
It makes perfect sense from a gov policy pov, internationals pay a fortune in visas, NHS surcharge, spend loads on eating out, don’t take student finance loans… I really think you need to stop talking about something you obviously are clueless about.

The issue in veterinary is far deeper than ‘internationals taking home student spots’ it’s a lack of sufficient wages for long hours, it’s abuse of veterinary professionals, it’s the serious lacking rate of retention after graduation due to burnout.
As an applicant you really do not understand the pov of veterinary schools and professionals so please don’t act like you do because objectively your ‘two cents’ is just untrue.

Thank you for your expert advice
Original post by ALEreapp
I can tell you categorically everyone else is less than 10%’ is a lie. My year at Bristol is probably close to atleast 25% international which has recently increased because they need the money. Can confirm Scottish schools definitely have far more than 10% and so does Cambridge. I cannot find the stats for Nottingham but if I can’t find the stats it means you cannot objectively say the breakdown of their cohort.

PRSOM. If there was more incentives for vets (of any origin, home or international - feel the shortage was majorly fuelled by Brexit actually) to stay in UK as opposed to all those drawbacks that would majorly help to sort the shortage. We are making vets in the UK they just aren't staying as vets. A couple of unis taking more international students is not the major driver for the shortage, and even if RVC had not taken this many internationals still doesn't mean they'd get an interview spot so the annoyance is aimed at the wrong people imo.
Original post by RambleAmple
PRSOM. If there was more incentives for vets (of any origin, home or international - feel the shortage was majorly fuelled by Brexit actually) to stay in UK as opposed to all those drawbacks that would majorly help to sort the shortage. We are making vets in the UK they just aren't staying as vets. A couple of unis taking more international students is not the major driver for the shortage, and even if RVC had not taken this many internationals still doesn't mean they'd get an interview spot so the annoyance is aimed at the wrong people imo.

👏🏽
Original post by AoibheFar
I haven't heard either, from what I've seems like they do them in batches so I wouldn't give up yet. Hope we hear back soon though, it's stressful

Hi don't bee had my interview yesterday. Women said there interviewing in batches all the way up to March so do not be worried !
Has any one received any offers from Bristol this week?
Original post by ENERGYDRINK
Has any one received any offers from Bristol this week?

It's been pretty silent this week. I don't think anyone has received anything. Saying that, last week there were some offers given out on Friday so maybe same again this week? not sure
I just received an interview for the 19th for the 5 year RVC course!!! I really started to lose hope after being rejected pre interview to the 4 year course at the RVC! Doesn’t seem to be over yet guys, stay positive!!
Original post by Biovetgrad
I just received an interview for the 19th for the 5 year RVC course!!! I really started to lose hope after being rejected pre interview to the 4 year course at the RVC! Doesn’t seem to be over yet guys, stay positive!!

omg AMAZING !!!!!!! you’re gonna smash the interview ! 💚💚
Original post by aliaa03

omg AMAZING !!!!!!! you’re gonna smash the interview ! 💚💚

I hope so!! I have been buried deep in interview prep sources and books 😂 thank you!! 🥰
Original post by Biovetgrad

Fantastic news- best of luck for the interview 🍀
Original post by Vetmum13

Fantastic news- best of luck for the interview 🍀

Thank you so much!!! ❤️
Reply 1593
Original post by AoibheFar
I haven't heard either, from what I've seems like they do them in batches so I wouldn't give up yet. Hope we hear back soon though, it's stressful

We had an invite for March about 10 days ago
Original post by Tb769
Thanks Sarah, just wondering when would the applicants start hearing updates/interview invites from UClan ?

Hi there @Tb769,

Thanks for your question. Please be assured that our admissions team are working hard to process applications and will be in touch as soon as possible with an update. If you do have any questions about your application you are welcome to email our admissions team at [email protected] and one of our friendly team members will be happy to help.

All the best, 😊
Sarah
Original post by eviet123
just got an interview invite for UCLAN!! 🙂

Hey @eviet123, 👋

Congrats on your interview invite! Do let me know if you have any questions about the course or life here at UCLan and I'd be happy to help.

All the best, 😊
Sarah
Original post by CocoaBella
I’ve also got an interview invite from UCLAN today! 😊

Hey @cocobella, 😊

Congrats on receiving an interview invite for Veterinary Medicine!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help.

Best wishes,
Sarah
Reply 1597
Original post by CroissantCarson
Out of interest, how many of you guys have managed to get an experience in an abattoir before application?

Me x
Reply 1598
Last year we had a big WhatsApp group created and wondered if there was something similar this year or if we should make one as it was super helpful 🙂
Original post by Moo3131
Last year we had a big WhatsApp group created and wondered if there was something similar this year or if we should make one as it was super helpful 🙂

Yes definitely! I was thinking of making one but decided it might be too big, so maybe after we get our offers then we can make uni specific WhatsApp groups

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending