The Student Room Group

cos^n(x)

Im trying to find a general expression for cos^n(x) and im having no luck; im trying to find it in terms of a summation, using a sigma if you know what I mean. Im trying but i've had no luck. I'll attach my work so you can see what i've got.
Reply 1
5CA2264E-2333-4D53-8D02-28319852FF5F.jpg.jpeg
i can't figure out what u would put in place of the 2, cos its a sequence that goes 1, 2, 2, 2, etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Can you make it larger, its very blurred.
Also, what is the original question?
Reply 3
A855AAE0-96C2-428C-A0B0-21349816033A.jpg.jpegE535304F-92E8-4749-A2AB-B9E998C28097.jpg.jpeg
Reply 4
Original post by ligmaAss
A855AAE0-96C2-428C-A0B0-21349816033A.jpg.jpegE535304F-92E8-4749-A2AB-B9E998C28097.jpg.jpeg

the question is to find an expression for Rn (the area i have labelled at the beginning)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
the question is to find an expression for Rn (the area i have labelled at the beginning)

btw its only for integer positive n
Reply 6

Are you asked to use Euler to find an expression for cos^n(x) or are you expected to use integration by parts to get a recursive/reduction formula?
Reply 7
I think making a general expression about cosn(x) is the wrong way to go - better to do one for the integral as a whole.
One trick I know of is to assign some value I to the integral, then do a substitution y = pi/2 - x and see where it takes you

Either that or a recurrence relation. But focusing on the integrand won't get you anywhere.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Are you asked to use Euler to find an expression for cos^n(x) or are you expected to use integration by parts to get a recursive/reduction formula?

it doesn't say
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh
I think making a general expression about cosn(x) is the wrong way to go - better to do one for the integral as a whole.
One trick I know of is to assign some value I to the integral, then do a substitution y = pi/2 - x and see where it takes you

Either that or a recurrence relation. But focusing on the integrand won't get you anywhere.

i'll try the subsitution, because i dont think the recurrence would work, because wouldn't it just go on forever
WHat have you covered in class. I suspect its the latter using a reduction formula based on integration by parts. A relative simple recursive solution is obtained.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
WHat have you covered in class. I suspect its the latter using a reduction formula based on integration by parts.

i do further maths edexcel, so i've done ibp
Reply 12
i'll try the subsitution, because i dont think the recurrence would work, because wouldn't it just go on forever

Well if you're able to get Rn in terms of Rn-2 then that's good enough, that's a general expression
Reply 13
Original post by Sinnoh
Well if you're able to get Rn in terms of Rn-2 then that's good enough, that's a general expression

is there no way to generalise it further?
Reply 14
is there no way to generalise it further?

If you were asked to evaluate it for, say, R = 15, that's all you'd need
Reply 15
Original post by Sinnoh
If you were asked to evaluate it for, say, R = 15, that's all you'd need

but i mean, would my method not work? Or even just finding a general formula for cos^n(x), is that possible?
Reply 16
but i mean, would my method not work? Or even just finding a general formula for cos^n(x), is that possible?

You can, it'll just have that huge sum in it and not be useful to integrate with

If you're trying to find a formula for 02πcosnxdx\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \cos^n x dx, the standard method is to use IBP to make a reduction formula. It's not hard to use that to get a (somewhat messy) closed expression.

You might want to google 'Wallis formula' or 'Wallis integral'.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest