The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
elpaw
They're not in the uni, I was talking generally in oxford there are tons of them.

oh :smile:
Reply 21
Unregistered
Theres a lot of dossers here, many ppl who never had to work to be top in school and dont want to now. Lots of druggies too obv, we are students after all.

u will find that a lot of people claim 2 be dossers...surprisingly there is a culture of people not wanting to show they work hard even though it is obvious that they must do.
Reply 22
Heeheehee
I used to be so incredibly lazy! I coasted through GCSEs, did no homework (and no coursework folder for Graphics, just a kick-ass board game) and got 3 A*, 4 A, B and 3 C (one of the Cs being Graphics). Now I still appear lazy but in truth I devote a lot of my spare time to my work, particularly trying to understand forces for bloody M1 in maths, I just can't grasp it! Anyway with hard work I should get the grades for Cambridge and laugh at all those dossers and cocky bastards who didn't get in while I go there :biggrin:
Loads of stoners (some have open door policies in college - delightfully blatent!) Puplic school idiots with cocaine but they'll either fail, get over it sharpish or possibly their daddies will bail them out. Dossers... it depends. If you count partying and leaving essays till last minute quite a lot of us firsties are. If you mean people who never do any work ever, not that many because you can't really get away with that. Classicists, historians and philosophers seem to have an easy ride with work at the moment anyway. I have 3 essays a week :-(
Reply 24
wassup_147
Getting Into Oxbridge Is Not About Grades, Its About Your Personal Statement And The Interview And How You Present Yourself And Look................trust Me. It Has Been Known That A Person With 2 A Grades And A B Can Get In Ahead Of Soemone With 3 A's....because Of Tehir Personal Statemnt, Interview, Presentation, Looks Etc.......its True.

The standard offer for some courses at Oxbridge is AAB.
Tek
About 80% of candidates are called for an interview. [I think that] they base this on your GCSE grades, your personal statement and your references, but when it comes down to offering places the interview plays the largest part.

I think it's more than that - most people get to interview stage because not many people apply that haven't a hope in hell. I'm going to be floating around in the gown helping interviewees at the end of term, oh. the memories.
Reply 26
Actually, it's more common than you think to be offered AAB. And of course Christ's College, Cambridge offer around 1/3 of their applicants EE!
Reply 27
Haz
I think it's more than that - most people get to interview stage because not many people apply that haven't a hope in hell. I'm going to be floating around in the gown helping interviewees at the end of term, oh. the memories.

Yeah...that's the best bit: "Oh look at me, I already got in, ner ner ner :tongue: ". That's how I'd feel anyway :biggrin:
Tek
Actually, it's more common than you think to be offered AAB. And of course Christ's College, Cambridge offer around 1/3 of their applicants EE!

True, but they work them like dogs apparently - christs exam suicide watch is famous...
Tek
Yeah...that's the best bit: "Oh look at me, I already got in, ner ner ner :tongue: ". That's how I'd feel anyway :biggrin:

Well actually, they were really lovely to me and I want to do the same for someone else. Without wishing to sound superior, when you're here all the competition seems really immature. It's the last thing on most people's minds!
Reply 30
Haz
Well actually, they were really lovely to me and I want to do the same for someone else. Without wishing to sound superior, when you're here all the competition seems really immature. It's the last thing on most people's minds!

Ahh but without the competition you wouldn't even be there.
Reply 31
Tek
Ahh but without the competition you wouldn't even be there.

Huh? I would have though it would be easier for you if there was no competition...
Reply 32
ZJuwelH
Huh? I would have though it would be easier for you if there was no competition...

Let me rephrase:

Without partaking in the competition and being competitive yourself, you wouldn't be there.
Of course one competes for places but as for competition once you're here - why would anyone bother intimidating interviewees with an 'I'm here, and you're feeling sick with nerves haha' attitude? Very few people go around with a superior 'I'm at cambridge and you're not' attitude. people have more sense and too much work to bother.
Reply 34
Tek

I've heard of the EE thing before, but not understood it, what is its purpose? Do the people actually get EE or do they still get AAA/AAB?
Reply 35
Lord Huntroyde
I've heard of the EE thing before, but not understood it, what is its purpose? Do the people actually get EE or do they still get AAA/AAB?

hmmmm :rolleyes:
Reply 36
curryADD
hmmmm :rolleyes:

what?
Reply 37
wassup_147
I Want To Go To Oxbridge After A-levels.

yeah but do they want you?
Reply 38
Lord Huntroyde
what?

i felt i had to say something....so i said hmmm because i didnt understand :biggrin:
Reply 39
curryADD
i felt i had to say something....so i said hmmm because i didnt understand :biggrin:

OK, fair enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending