The Student Room Group

D2 Vs M1

Okay so I'm in Year 12 doing Further Maths and (along with the other modules) I had to choose between Decision and Mechanics but chose Decision, mainly because i was never that fantastic at Physics in GCSE (only got a B) so i presumed I'd be no good at Mechanics.
But now, I don't really like Decision that much as it isn't the type of maths I like (if that makes sense?) But I'll still do D1...
Do you think i should do M1 next instead of D2 though? Or will the fact that i only got a B in GCSE Physics make it more difficult?

Anyone done both, and what do they recommend?
Reply 1
Do M1. GCSE physics is quite different to mechanics.
Do M1 I got a B in double science gcse, didn't find M1 that difficult. I got an A in the M1 exam.

It is very different to GCSE physics.
Do M1 - It's significantly more interesting, and Mechanics is often more respected by unis than Decision Maths from what I've been told?
Reply 4
I say choose D2. Personally I've never been a fan of mechanics. Also, D2 is a bit different to D1 and you should find it quite a bit easier.
M1 is indeed very different to Physics, at GCSE and A-level.
I'm finding M1 a lot more interesting in comparison to Physics.
Plus, I'm finding it easier.
So, I think M1 you should go for.

Just out of interest, which 3 modules are you taking for Further Maths AS?
Reply 6
Mask Of Sanity
M1 is indeed very different to Physics, at GCSE and A-level.
I'm finding M1 a lot more interesting in comparison to Physics.
Plus, I'm finding it easier.
So, I think M1 you should go for.

Just out of interest, which 3 modules are you taking for Further Maths AS?

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure yet...
Lilliesha
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure yet...

Aha, no problem.
Reply 8
Clements-
Do M1 - It's significantly more interesting, and Mechanics is often more respected by unis than Decision Maths from what I've been told?

For what course?
It might have changed since my time universities don't know which modules you're doing. The UCAS form only had space for subjects, not individual modules.
Reply 9
Definately M1, thats if u prefer more pure maths, D is better if u prefer applid maths, but most unies prefer M, Core and FP modules to D an S most of the time
Reply 10
I prefer M1. :wink:
Go for M1 :cool:
Reply 12
D1 is so lovely. :love:
I'm definitely taking D2 next year. :yep:
They're both quite easy. D2 is a little different to D1. Why don't you flick through the textbooks and see which looks more appealing to you.
.ACS.
I say choose D2. Personally I've never been a fan of mechanics. Also, D2 is a bit different to D1 and you should find it quite a bit easier.

:ditto:
M1. its harder but much more interesting, so you'll be more inclined to actually do the work
do M1 - i found that D1 wasn't really the kind of maths i liked either- M1 is much more interesting
I chose D2 over M2 because I couldn't handle the stress of it... although I got a B in M1.. no idea how.. but if you're a science person.. which you appear to be, then M shouldn't be so bad, because alot of the sciencers in my old M class love it.
Reply 18
funkiichiicka
I chose D2 over M2 because I couldn't handle the stress of it... although I got a B in M1.. no idea how.. but if you're a science person.. which you appear to be, then M shouldn't be so bad, because alot of the sciencers in my old M class love it.

I'm really not a "Sciencer" I got BBC in triple science for GCSE, which were my worst grades...
So that's why I was asking what you think.

Thanks for all the replies, I will probably do M1 next instead of D2. Not 100% sure yet though.

(And I don't dislike Decision because it's hard, it's just not the type of maths i enjoy - I'm more of a Pure maths person :smile: )

Latest