The Student Room Group

gcse MCQ physics

Copper wire is available in fixed lengths but in various diameters d. Each diameter has a different resistance R.
Which relationship between R and d is correct?
A) R is directly proportional to d.
B) R is directly proportional to d^2
C)R is inversely proportional to d.
D)R is inversely proportional to d^2
I answered C but the correct option is D. If you increase the diameter of a wire then the resistance will obv decrease which means the relationship between the 2 is inversely proportional but why is the resistance inversely proportional to the square of the diameter and not just the diameter?
Hello,
[BTW how is your mission to land a rocket engine-driven super-module on Jupiter progressing? :colondollar:]

Ok back to Q:-

The resistance is inversely proportional to the diameter squared BECAUSE IT IS THE AREA OF THE CROSS-SECTION of the wire we are looking at i.e. pi * [d/2]^2 i.e. pi X radius squared, yeah?

Be safe!
M.
R = rho x l / A
Reply 3
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hello,
[BTW how is your mission to land a rocket engine-driven super-module on Jupiter progressing? :colondollar:]

Ok back to Q:-

The resistance is inversely proportional to the diameter squared BECAUSE IT IS THE AREA OF THE CROSS-SECTION of the wire we are looking at i.e. pi * [d/2]^2 i.e. pi X radius squared, yeah?

Be safe!
M.

WELL IT'S PRETTY GOOD BUT WE HAD TO POSTPONE THE JOURNEY BECAUSE OF MY GCES. Anyways, Thank youu, I appreciate it didn't realize we were talking about area!
Haha! Hope you did v well in GCSEs!
Original post by Nasa1726
WELL IT'S PRETTY GOOD BUT WE HAD TO POSTPONE THE JOURNEY BECAUSE OF MY GCES. Anyways, Thank youu, I appreciate it didn't realize we were talking about area!

Reply 5

wow I can't believe 4 months have passed haha. As for my GCSEs I got straight A*s thanks to god fr hehe
Good morning National Aeronautics and Space Administration [sorry!],

Another 3 months have elapsed! [I can't get your username out of my mind lol - my original ambition as a child was to become an astronaut - how life changes over time!!!].

You must be doing A levels now - how are they going? - is it ok to ask what subjects you do and what your uni ideas are? I assume you have taken up sciences.

Have a great day!
M
Reply 7
Good morning National Aeronautics and Space Administration [sorry!],

Another 3 months have elapsed! [I can't get your username out of my mind lol - my original ambition as a child was to become an astronaut - how life changes over time!!!].

You must be doing A levels now - how are they going? - is it ok to ask what subjects you do and what your uni ideas are? I assume you have taken up sciences.

Have a great day!
M

Man it's actually very sweet of you to check up on me. It's my turn to ask: how are you doing? You said your ambition was to become an astronaut, What do you do now? :smile:
Regarding my A-levels - I take Math ,Chemistry ,Physics and Information Technology. So far, I feel like the subjects are quite heavy in terms of course content, but they're also actually interesting, so it balances out. And as for my uni ideas, I haven't thought about universities at all (you can say I'm taking this all one step at a time lol.)
P.s.: I chose my username out of love for astrophysics haha
Man it's actually very sweet of you to check up on me. It's my turn to ask: how are you doing? You said your ambition was to become an astronaut, What do you do now? :smile:
Regarding my A-levels - I take Math ,Chemistry ,Physics and Information Technology. So far, I feel like the subjects are quite heavy in terms of course content, but they're also actually interesting, so it balances out. And as for my uni ideas, I haven't thought about universities at all (you can say I'm taking this all one step at a time lol.)
P.s.: I chose my username out of love for astrophysics haha

No probs - I like to keep abreast of the progress through uni/success in life of my students, here a very short-term student [only on one topic [how to pilot a rocket and walk on planets c zero gravity lol!]].

I am well - thanks for asking - apologies for the late reply - good to here you are enjoying your A levels and that you are learning to walk before trying to do 100m sprint! - r u doing A2 now? OMG you might have exams v imminently - sorry to take up precious seconds! Very best of luck and keep at it!

YOU WILL GET THERE!! [coming from a guy with 5 degrees!]

M
Reply 9
No probs - I like to keep abreast of the progress through uni/success in life of my students, here a very short-term student [only on one topic [how to pilot a rocket and walk on planets c zero gravity lol!]].

I am well - thanks for asking - apologies for the late reply - good to here you are enjoying your A levels and that you are learning to walk before trying to do 100m sprint! - r u doing A2 now? OMG you might have exams v imminently - sorry to take up precious seconds! Very best of luck and keep at it!

YOU WILL GET THERE!! [coming from a guy with 5 degrees!]

M

A GUY WITH 5 DEGREEEEEEEES!, I CAN BARELY SURVIVE 4-A LEVELS. I saw your message the other day but like you said I really really had a lot going on this week (I'm doing AS btw). Only thing motivating me rn is to finish as it's been a really hectic year - I'm still amazed by how different GCSEs and A-levels are, It makes me feel like I'm growing up and part of me wishes I could be a teenager forever.
Thanks for the quick chat, it was refreshing amidst all this pressure
P.s: DW we'll be on Neptune in no time (It's not rocket science to do that) ahaha
A GUY WITH 5 DEGREEEEEEEES!, I CAN BARELY SURVIVE 4-A LEVELS. I saw your message the other day but like you said I really really had a lot going on this week (I'm doing AS btw). Only thing motivating me rn is to finish as it's been a really hectic year - I'm still amazed by how different GCSEs and A-levels are, It makes me feel like I'm growing up and part of me wishes I could be a teenager forever.
Thanks for the quick chat, it was refreshing amidst all this pressure
P.s: DW we'll be on Neptune in no time (It's not rocket science to do that) ahaha

Hi sorry I left it 2 months longer than last time! How did your AS modules go? I am sure you shone out! I suppose you must have made your UCAS applications now [?] - what do you plan to do at uni? Just wondered - are you into any sport? Do you play hockey? Just for info in case you do and selecting unis, bham.ac.uk and Loughborough unis are big in hockey [I think bham had 6 girls in the England U21 squad some yrs back [including one they used to call "Sharpie" adapted from her surname], and in the men's there have been several e.g. Simon Mantell and Sam Ward.

One of my degrees was medicine, in which hockey is big, but I also cycle, play badminton, etc.

Best of luck with A2 exams in a few months!

M.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 11
Hi sorry I left it 2 months longer than last time! How did your AS modules go? I am sure you shone out! I suppose you must have made your UCAS applications now [?] - what do you plan to do at uni? Just wondered - are you into any sport? Do you play hockey? Just for info in case you do and selecting unis, bham.ac.uk and Loughborough unis are big in hockey [I think bham had 6 girls in the England U21 squad some yrs back [including one they used to call "Sharpie" adapted from her surname], and in the men's there have been several e.g. Simon Mantell and Sam Ward.

One of my degrees was medicine, in which hockey is big, but I also cycle, play badminton, etc.

Best of luck with A2 exams in a few months!

M.

No worries at all! My AS modules went pretty well - I got 4A's so I'm quite pleased with the results :wink: Yes, I've completed my UCAS applications and I'm really hoping to get into aerospace engineering (feels like my true passion)
As for sports, it's very interesting to know about the strong hockey presence at bham.ac.uk and Loughborough. Thanks for the tip but I'm more of a chess person haha. Nonetheless, it's awesome to hear about your involvement in hockey, cycling, and badminton. Impressive background with a degree in medicine!
Wishing you the best as well, and I hope everything's going smoothly on your end!

Quick Reply

Latest