The Student Room Group

What do you think of America turning back the clocks?

The country banned abortion and some old white men took away rights to a woman body.

Scroll to see replies

Just classic right-wing behaviour of abusing the lowly for their own political and financial gain, with no care for the human cost
1 step closer to handmaids tale becoming a reality :h:
Laughable cos we all know they're gonna live to regret it.

Soon as their mistress falls pregnant, their wife or daughters life may become in danger from being pregnant or they realize they will have to raise a rapists child, suddenly they're gonna kick themselves for banning abortion.
The Supreme Court judges voted 5-4 to decide to overturn the Roe verdict and change the precedent on abortion to hold that the Constitution of the United States of America does not confer the right to abortion.
The verdict of the majority of the Supreme Court justices was that regulation authority of abortion should be "returned to the people and their elected representatives", paving the way for some states with a large presence of pro-birthers amongst the local population and significant bible belt influence to attempt to pass laws restricting legal abortion access or the provision of abortion providing facilities within the boundaries of their state.

The five judges that voted to overturn the Roe v Wade decision were:
Amy Coney Barrett, Brett Kavanaugh, Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch and Samuel Alito.
If the latter four male individuals are believed to merit criticism for the decision, the former should also be apportioned her share of criticism.
The fact that she is not old or male is irrelevant, her vote and stance on the Roe verdict is very relevant.

The environment is the usa as regards abortion is an extremely aggressive and toxic one, dominated by the fanatical elements & bad apples on all sides.
It is important to note that the verdict does not outlaw the provision of all legal abortion service providers.
Nor declare that it is automatically unlawful for a female to choose abortion within the usa.

The pro-birth camp, their pro-life allies and their swamp of militant pals in jails or AOG sympathetic churches/off-grid hideouts may be whooping with glee & gloating for the rest of the month.
But the reality is that most sane americans do understand both that abortion is necessary under some circumstances and that some legal restrictions upon abortion are also necessary.
Original post by Other_Owl
The country banned abortion and some old white men took away rights to a woman body.

No, abortion is not banned.
It has merely been deemed to not be a constitutional right.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by sufys
No, abortion is not banned.
It has merely been deemed to not be a constitutional right.

The decision is as spineless as the IOC failing to ban Russian athletes at the last Olympic games for gross state sponsored doping (which has been rife for decades) and leaving it for each individual sports body to interpret as they saw fit.

Religious ethics (a belief not fact) seem far more important and influential in policy and constitution for some countries than science and fact. Strange times.
Original post by Muttly
The decision is as spineless as the IOC failing to ban Russian athletes at the last Olympic games for gross state sponsored doping (which has been rife for decades) and leaving it for each individual sports body to interpret as they saw fit.

Religious ethics (a belief not fact) seem far more important and influential in policy and constitution for some countries than science and fact. Strange times.

I'm not sure why that was a bad decision.
In any case, the two things are not even remotely comparable.

It's not really religious ethics, no. One can arrive to the conclusion that abortion is wrong without religious influence.
Original post by sufys
I'm not sure why that was a bad decision.
In any case, the two things are not even remotely comparable.

It's not really religious ethics, no. One can arrive to the conclusion that abortion is wrong without religious influence.

Or arrive at the conclusion that abortion should be a choice.
Original post by goggleyed

Soon as their mistress falls pregnant, their wife or daughters life may become in danger from being pregnant or they realize they will have to raise a rapists child, suddenly they're gonna kick themselves for banning abortion.

Nope, many won't.

Particularly not when they are pro-birth fanatics, wannabe theocrats, incessantly preaching honest bible belters that don't want to be equated with Earl Paulk/Newt Gingrich or the closest allies of evangelicals that are genuinely committed to both waiting until marriage & a large traditional biological family unit based upon quiverful and 'forsaking all others' within an extra-marital context.
Original post by goggleyed

As if they wouldn't get abortions some other way. Might pay for them to travel to Canada or something.
The worst thing of course is the democrats could have done something about this, and still can, but refuse to. Instead Kamala Harris just tweets "vote!" like we didn't all already do that, get them in power, get them a majority in senate AND house (AND they have the speaker) and yet they STILL refuse to do literally anything that they campaigned for or that the people who voted for them want them to.
Original post by SagaciousSag
Or arrive at the conclusion that abortion should be a choice.

Yes, one could. What's your point?
Original post by sufys
Yes, one could. What's your point?

That abortion should be a choice to encompass everyone's stances on abortion, rather than a minority's opinions becoming law.
That abortion should be a choice to encompass everyone's stances on abortion, rather than a minority's opinions becoming law.

It is! It's down to each individual state...
Original post by sufys
It is! It's down to each individual state...

That's not individual people...
That's not individual people...

It shouldn't be down to individuals to choose whether they can kill humans or not, in my opinion. They should just be unable to do it imo. But this, the overturning of Roe v. Wade, is progress.
I am disgusted at the ruling, and it has made me feel glad that I live in the UK.
There has also been news about the Supreme Court considering making it easier to own a gun by not needing buyers to have a gun license, which was disappointing to me beause of how guns have caused innocent deaths there.
Original post by rosy_posy
I am disgusted at the ruling, and it has made me feel glad that I live in the UK.
There has also been news about the Supreme Court considering making it easier to own a gun by not needing buyers to have a gun license, which was disappointing to me beause of how guns have caused innocent deaths there.

They're pretending like the Uvalde shooting wasn't made easy by the gunman not needing a license and through the guns being allowed to be bought on his 18th birthday. In my opinion, Republicans in the Supreme Court are ignoring the needs of the people and converting the US into their ideal autocratic state as best as they can. (Can we move this thread into D&CA?)
Original post by Other_Owl

I think it is important to understand, the vote was about if abortion is a constitutional issue. They did not vote on any laws regarding abortion.

This is technically the same as much of the rest of the West including the UK where abortion rights are legislation rather than constitutional, including the UK. Now the ramifications of this are that every state has different rules and in some states (predominantly Southern) the law means abortion is no longer legal.

FWIW I think we have abortions laws set appropriately in the UK and whilst I think it is an inherently bad solution to a difficult circumstance that the use of abortion before cognitive function should be legal (i have taken the viewpoint that cognitive function dictates the difference between a fetus and a baby.. this happens at approximately 23 weeks (which is UK law)).

Now given this case went to the Supreme Court, its not their job to determine what the law should be, simply if it is a constitutional issue, they did not weigh in on the legislation of abortion just if its a constitutional right..
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending