The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Official University of Birmingham 2023 Applicants Thread

Hi everyone! This is the official thread for University of Birmingham 2023 applicants. We can't wait to meet you!

To help us get to know each other a bit better, do tell us:
- Where are you from?
- What course are you applying for?
- Have you visited Birmingham before? (Our campus, or the city!)

Scroll to see replies

I have got 5 -9s 4-8s 1 7 and 1-6 (French-Foundation) at GCSE, UCAT 2670 Band 2, Prediction A*A*A I would like to get some advice on my choice Birmingham. I have used the university scoring system 45%+40%+5% (scored 8.51. What will be my chance to get an interview. Please advise
I am from London/UK intent to apply medicine
(edited 1 year ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Applying for Biochemistry at UoB with AAA predicted at bio,chem and maths. I’ve not visited the campus yet but will be there on Saturday. UOB is in my top 3. I’m a U.K. student, play hockey so definitely looking forward to seeing your pitches and facilities. I’ve never been to Birmingham city either,

Edit: visited the campus and uni and loved it! Wasn’t expecting that. What was my joint first choice has gone to 3rd place and UoB now in joint 1st. Loved the campus, the bioscience departments seemed very capable and all the lecturers were v enthusiastic. Loved it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,
I am from Wales and I am applying to biomedical science! I have been to Birmingham a few times before and been on campus, but only in the sports facilities as I was attending a karate competition there. I am attending the open day next month to get a better feel for the place but it seems like it will be one of my top choices!
Original post by maddyloveridge1
Hi,
I am from Wales and I am applying to biomedical science! I have been to Birmingham a few times before and been on campus, but only in the sports facilities as I was attending a karate competition there. I am attending the open day next month to get a better feel for the place but it seems like it will be one of my top choices!

I went to the biosciences open day last weekend. I was really impressed. Thought the departments looked so good / loved the labs. 10/10
Original post by Maddie57
I went to the biosciences open day last weekend. I was really impressed. Thought the departments looked so good / loved the labs. 10/10

that's so good to hear! although i think biomed is based in the medical school? i could be wrong but even so i think we would still use the bioscience facilities. honestly can't wait for my open day. where else are you thinking of applying? i can't make my mind up tbh the only definite options i have are birmingham and kcl
that's so good to hear! although i think biomed is based in the medical school? i could be wrong but even so i think we would still use the bioscience facilities. honestly can't wait for my open day. where else are you thinking of applying? i can't make my mind up tbh the only definite options i have are birmingham and kcl

I play hockey and don’t want London or more than 3hrs from home SO Bath Ex Birmingham Notts and Warwick. I loved how UoB science departments collaborated. They rely on the computer science and engineering heavily and they are housed close. Their open day was v good and strong. I was v impressed. Saw Bristol and loved their dept but the hockey pitches are too far away so no good 🤣 as I’ll spend my spare time if any there
I play hockey and don’t want London or more than 3hrs from home SO Bath Ex Birmingham Notts and Warwick. I loved how UoB science departments collaborated. They rely on the computer science and engineering heavily and they are housed close. Their open day was v good and strong. I was v impressed. Saw Bristol and loved their dept but the hockey pitches are too far away so no good 🤣 as I’ll spend my spare time if any there

I love those options! tbh i am still not sure how i feel about going to London for uni but the kcl course just appeals so much to me so i think i could get past being in London. I am definitely considering bath, it's only an hour away from home which is nice and their placement year's seem so amazing. I am a bit gutted tho as their open days are over and i didn't get the chance to attend one, I think i will go and do a visit of bristol and bath soon just to see how they feel.
Hope year 13 is going well for you!
I love those options! tbh i am still not sure how i feel about going to London for uni but the kcl course just appeals so much to me so i think i could get past being in London. I am definitely considering bath, it's only an hour away from home which is nice and their placement year's seem so amazing. I am a bit gutted tho as their open days are over and i didn't get the chance to attend one, I think i will go and do a visit of bristol and bath soon just to see how they feel.

Both bath and Bristol strong open days. Bath seems a little detached with the biochemistry department out at the back of campus. But bath keeps calling me back despite not really loving the campus like I did Birmingham and ex. I also really am swayed by their placement year. So good for career but the uni so far from city so 2nd year onwards not so good. I love visiting London but am glad to leave end of the day. Imperial would be my dream course. Love the look of their modules but it’s not for me. Good luck also with yr 13 and your choices. Btw I felt Bristol was very good but I need a campus uni.
Reply 9
heyy! I'm planning on taking history at the uni of birmingham (kinda my first choice tbh), just wanted to know how good are my chances considering an ib predicted of 34 with a 7 in history?
:zz
Original post by pweuh12
heyy! I'm planning on taking history at the uni of birmingham (kinda my first choice tbh), just wanted to know how good are my chances considering an ib predicted of 34 with a 7 in history?

birmingham have an offer calculator on their website, not sure if it works for IB students. it tells you if you are likely to get an offer
Original post by University of Birmingham
Hi everyone! This is the official thread for University of Birmingham 2023 applicants. We can't wait to meet you!

To help us get to know each other a bit better, do tell us:
- Where are you from?
- What course are you applying for?
- Have you visited Birmingham before? (Our campus, or the city!)

Hey guys! I'm a British student, currently planning to apply for Modern languages with business management. I've not yet visited Birmingham but plan to! Anyone wanna take languages here too?

Just to add, I think go with your gut where you feel you’ll be happy and succeed. I know my two top are Bath & Birm and I think I’ll see if they both offer and then sit in it for as long as I can. I’m hoping one choice will drive out the other and I’ll know. If you’re happy you will succeed which is good for you and the uni itself.
Just to add, I think go with your gut where you feel you’ll be happy and succeed. I know my two top are Bath & Birm and I think I’ll see if they both offer and then sit in it for as long as I can. I’m hoping one choice will drive out the other and I’ll know. If you’re happy you will succeed which is good for you and the uni itself.

yeah that’s true, i would say birm and kcl are my top right now but we will see how i feel after offers/rejections haha.
Applying for Biochemistry at UoB with AAA predicted at bio,chem and maths. I’ve not visited the campus yet but will be there on Saturday. UOB is in my top 3. I’m a U.K. student, play hockey so definitely looking forward to seeing your pitches and facilities. I’ve never been to Birmingham city either,

Edit: visited the campus and uni and loved it! Wasn’t expecting that. What was my joint first choice has gone to 3rd place and UoB now in joint 1st. Loved the campus, the bioscience departments seemed very capable and all the lecturers were v enthusiastic. Loved it.

Glad to hear you had a great experience at Open Day, Maddie. There really is nothing better than coming to see campus for yourself :smile: - Molly

We have made a lot of investments in our labs over the last few years so I'm glad to hear you liked them! Did you manage to have a look at our accommodation at all? If you have any questions let me know. :biggrin: - Molly
Original post by lizloe
Hey guys! I'm a British student, currently planning to apply for Modern languages with business management. I've not yet visited Birmingham but plan to! Anyone wanna take languages here too?

Hi there! Sounds like a great course choice, which language(s) are you planning to study? Hope to welcome you to campus soon! :smile: - Molly
Original post by pweuh12

Hi @pweuh12, as your predicted grades are in line with our entry requirements for History it sounds like it would be worth you putting in an application :smile: If you have any more specific questions do get in touch with the History team through the contact form on the bottom of this page. - Molly
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by s.sivakumar
I have got 5 -9s 4-8s 1 7 and 1-6 (French-Foundation) at GCSE, UCAT 2670 Band 2, Prediction A*A*A I would like to get some advice on my choice Birmingham. I have used the university scoring system 45%+40%+5% (scored 8.51. What will be my chance to get an interview. Please advise
I am from London/UK intent to apply medicine

Hi there!

Glad to hear you're considering Birmingham. It sounds like you do meet our entry requirements for Medicine. We would be happy to accept an application, however we cannot advise on the likelihood of receiving an invite to interview. This will depend on the other applications we receive during that cycle when deciding application threshold scores. We no longer use the offer calculator for Medicine. - Molly :smile:
Original post by University of Birmingham
Hi there! Sounds like a great course choice, which language(s) are you planning to study? Hope to welcome you to campus soon! :smile: - Molly

hi! I am planning on doing Spanish and Chinese :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending