The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Does university of Birmingham do clearing?

Has anyone gotten in through clearing or know if they do?
Original post by Ocymio
Has anyone gotten in through clearing or know if they do?

Quite a few courses at University of Birmingham went into Clearing last year. That doesn't mean any will this year (they may well increase the number of offers that make to avoid it happening again).
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
As above - and its usually only the 'hard to fill' courses at a top Uni like Brum, if at all.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Quite a few courses at University of Birmingham went into Clearing last year. That doesn't mean any will this year (they may well increase the number of offers that make to avoid it happening again).

Cheers for reply - you have any idea which courses went into clearing on results day? Any STEM subjects?
Original post by Ocymio
Cheers for reply - you have any idea which courses went into clearing on results day? Any STEM subjects?

I have no evidence for the list below, but these are the courses which I recorded University of Birmingham as offering via Clearing on A level results day last year:

Education BA (Hons)
Education and Sociology BA (Hons)
Ancient and Medieval History BA
Ancient History BA
Classical Literature and Civilisation BA
Classics BA
Criminology BA
Drama and Theatre Arts BA
English Language and Linguistics BA
English Literature BA
English Literature and Creative Writing BA
English Literature and Film BA
Film and Creative Writing BA
Geography BA (Hons)
History BA
History of Art BA
International Relations BA
Modern Languages BA
Modern Languages with Business Management BA
Philosophy BA
Philosophy, Religion and Ethics BA
Policy, Politics and Economics BA
Politics BA
Social Anthropology BA
Sociology BA
Theology and Religion BA
Biomedical Science BSc
Music Bmus
Psychology in Education BSc (Hons)
Accounting and Finance BSc
Biochemistry BSc
Biological Sciences BSc
Environmental Science BSc
Geography BSc
Geography and Urban and Regional Planning BSc
Geology BSc
Geology and Physical Geography BSc
Global Environmental Change and Sustainability BSc
Human Sciences BSc
Medical Biochemistry BSc
Psychology BSc
Sport, Exercise & Health Sciences BSc
Sport, PE and Coaching Science BSc
Chemistry BSc
Chemistry MSci
Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery BSc
Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery MSci
Dental Hygiene and Therapy BSc
Materials Science and Engineering Beng
Mathematics BSc
Mathematics MSci
Natural Sciences BSc / MSci
Nursing BNurs - Adult
Social Policy BA
Social Work BA

Note that University of Birmingham apparently didn't go in into Clearing for 2021 or 2022 entry. Also note that for each of the above, they may have had just one of two spaces available. Making any assumptions about what might be available via Clearing this year based upon the above would not be wise.
Reply 5
Be aware that most of the list above was for INTERNATIONAL applicants only.
Original post by McGinger
Be aware that most of the list above was for INTERNATIONAL applicants only.

Thanks for pointing that out, @McGinger. I was going to add the caveat at the bottom that those may have been for international applicants only - but forgot to to so. :colondollar:
Thanks for pointing that out, @McGinger. I was going to add the caveat at the bottom that those may have been for international applicants only - but forgot to to so. :colondollar:
so is it unlikely to get into birms through clearing this year because many say its the 'queen' of clearing?
Original post by lolss19191
so is it unlikely to get into birms through clearing this year because many say its the 'queen' of clearing?

Predicting the future is never particularly easy. One approach to look at the past and hope that it accurately predicts the future (which it doesn't always). You haven't mentioned what degree (other than "STEM") you'd be looking to do, so the below (from the UCAS web site, here) shows a few broad STEM areas.

First, let see how many accepted applicants there were at University of Birmingham for a variety of subject areas over the last few years:

UCAS End of Cycle Data - University of Birmingham - Number of accepted applicants - All applicat.jpg

Now let's look at just those who didn't apply to Birmingham via the main scheme (which they define as "The main UCAS Undergraduate application scheme through to which up to five courses choices can be applied. This opens in September and closed to new applications on 30 June in the following year.") Saying that someone didn't apply via the main scheme isn't quite the same as saying that they applied via Clearing, but it's the closet approximation we have.

UCAS End of Cycle Data - University of Birmingham - Number of accepted applicants - Not main sch.jpg

So we can see (for example) that of the 705 accepted engineering and technology applicants entering University of Birmingham in 2023, 55 didn't come via the main scheme. We can then use the Domicile filter to see that just 20 of these were UK applicants:

UCAS End of Cycle Data - University of Birmingham - Number of accepted applicants - Not main sch.jpg

So clearly some UK applicants who applied to University of Birmingham other than via the main scheme were accepted for STEM subjects. So your chances are not zero. Trying to apply a word like "likely" or "unlikely" to that would be impossible.
yeah I wanted to do chem
Original post by lolss19191
yeah I wanted to do chem

Chemistry falls within CAH07, Physical Sciences, the numbers for which you can see in the screen shots above.
Hello, what about Accounting and Finance?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, what about Accounting and Finance?

What is your question?
What is your question?

Oh sorry I meant is it unlikely to get into UoB for BSc Accounting and Finance?
Original post by Anonymous
Oh sorry I meant is it unlikely to get into UoB for BSc Accounting and Finance?

Accounting and Finance BSc was in Clearing at University of Birmingham last year, although I don't know whether this was for international applicants only, nor do I know how many placed were available via Clearing.

The data released by UCAS (here) doesn't allow you to see details on individual courses, unfortunately. Accounting and Finance would fall under the category "Business and Management" in the UCAS data. Last year, in that category, there were 670 accepted applicants of which 125 didn't apply for that place via the main scheme (meaning they used Extra or Clearing). Of these 125, just 5 were UK applicants. That's a very low number, given that it covers the whole of Business and Management. So I would agree with your "unlikely" assessment. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending