Reply 2
ok so far I have:

x(x+1)
x^2+x=2

What is the next stage?
Reply 3
Solve the quadratic?
Reply 4
That's a quadratic equation... you learn to do them at the age of 12.
Sophie Maywood

xy=2
y=x+1

Sub (y=x+1) into the first equation i.e.

x (x + 1) = 2
x^2 + x = 2
X^2 + x - 2 = 0 (then solve as a quadratic)

Sophie Maywood

and...

xy=-4
2y=x+6

xy = -4
therefore 2xy = -8 (2yx = -8)

sub in the second equation i.e.

x(x + 6) = -8
x^2 + 6x = -8
x^2 + 6x + 8 = 0 (and solve as a quadratic)

:smile:
Reply 6
Ok but on the second equation, how did you obtain the -8
Sophie Maywood
Ok but on the second equation, how did you obtain the -8

xy = -4

multiply both sides by 2

2 x (xy) = 2xy

2 x -4 = -8
i just looked at your profile (OP) and i cannot believe that you wouldnt know how to do this

your not a troll by any chance are you? :p:
Reply 9
no- this is the only part of maths where I get stuck- anyway what's a troll? :smile:
Sophie Maywood
no- this is the only part of maths where I get stuck- anyway what's a troll? :smile:

yeah but this is unbelievably easy (as in the only thing easier than this is just addition and multiplication - and subtraction and division lol)

a troll is generally someone who posts really gay stuff/starts pointless threads just with the intent of annoying people (which im sure youre not :biggrin:)
Sophie Maywood
no- this is the only part of maths where I get stuck

You're a further maths student, and cannot solve a simple quadratic equation? That's a bit hard to believe, but whatever :p:
tomthecool
You're a further maths student, and cannot solve a simple quadratic equation? That's a bit hard to believe, but whatever :p:

Not so hard to believe actually. Earlier this week I was teaching Mechanics 1 to a UK born-and-bred Year 12 mathematician with a string of A* GCSE grades (including maths and english).

The conversation went like this. "I can't do this question because I don't know the difference between push and pull. I know what they mean but I don't know which one is which."

"So what do you do when you meet a door that has PUSH written on it?"

"I try both things. It works out OK half the time."
Mr M
Not so hard to believe actually. Earlier this week I was teaching Mechanics 1 to a UK born-and-bred Year 12 mathematician with a string of A* GCSE grades (including maths and english).

The conversation went like this. "I can't do this question because I don't know the difference between push and pull. I know what they mean but I don't know which one is which."

That sounds like a sarcastic joke mate (by your student- not you lol)
Reply 14
Mr M

:rofl:

I admit I often don't understand obvious concepts in mechanics even when it's not technical terminology but the above is just hilarious.
Mr M

Yes, that sounds very believable :rolleyes:
Adhavan
That sounds like a sarcastic joke mate (by your student- not you lol)

Sadly not. The rest of the class were already aware of his little "problem".
Mr M
Sadly not. The rest of the class were already aware of his little "problem".

maybe they were in on the joke too :p:

Latest