The Student Room Group

MLAT/Modern Languages Applicants 2023 Discussion

Hey linguists!

Thought I'd make a thread for discussing the 2022 MLAT/Modern Languages applications, as there doesn't seem to be one for this year.

Language combination (sole/joint school):
Chosen college:
Favourite MFL novel:

How does everyone feel about the MLAT? How are you preparing - it's only a few days away now :colonhash: (No sharing of test material/interview questions as per TSR and Oxford rules)
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BarnabyK
Hey linguists!

Thought I'd make a thread for discussing the 2022 MLAT/Modern Languages applications, as there doesn't seem to be one for this year.

Language combination (sole/joint school):
Chosen college:
Favourite MFL novel:

How does everyone feel about the MLAT? How are you preparing - it's only a few days away now :colonhash: (No sharing of test material/interview questions as per TSR and Oxford rules)

Language combination: German sole
Chosen college: Exeter
Favourite MFL novel: Das Parfummmmm😍
Omg I can’t believe MLAT is in less than a week. Does anyone know what scores we should be aiming for? Also how do you calculate the single digit score as the raw mark is out of 100?
Reply 2
Language combination (sole/joint school): French and Russian
Chosen college: New
Favourite MFL novel: L'art de Perdre
Reply 3
Original post by God of oranges
Omg I can’t believe MLAT is in less than a week. Does anyone know what scores we should be aiming for? Also how do you calculate the single digit score as the raw mark is out of 100?

I always scale it down to out of 10 - so 77% = 7.7 etc etc.

Best of luck for the MLAT!

hang on - this is same degree and same college my son did.

Good luck!

Even half marks on this test may well get you an interview. Make sure you know your grammar as the sentences from English to German revolve around certain grammar points. If you are well read in German, this should make the German to English sentences easier.
Original post by Oxford Mum
hang on - this is same degree and same college my son did.

Good luck!

Even half marks on this test may well get you an interview. Make sure you know your grammar as the sentences from English to German revolve around certain grammar points. If you are well read in German, this should make the German to English sentences easier.

Haha yes! Your son’s Oxford demystified post has really helped with my application prep and given me a better idea of what to expect in the interview, and possibly even subconsciously influenced my college choice🤭 (don’t get me wrong, I love Exeter for a variety of reasons, but my attention was first drawn to it from reading about his experience) Do you think it would be possible to dm me his email address or whatever social media he uses, so I could ask him a few additional questions regarding the written work and the interview? If he isn’t willing it’s no problem either. Thank you so much!
Reply 6
Haha yes! Your son’s Oxford demystified post has really helped with my application prep and given me a better idea of what to expect in the interview, and possibly even subconsciously influenced my college choice🤭 (don’t get me wrong, I love Exeter for a variety of reasons, but my attention was first drawn to it from reading about his experience) Do you think it would be possible to dm me his email address or whatever social media he uses, so I could ask him a few additional questions regarding the written work and the interview? If he isn’t willing it’s no problem either. Thank you so much!

My daughter is reading German at New College ( along with Philosophy). She too benefited enormously from OM's son's chapter! Good luck.
Does anyone know whether on the test day we are given both a language (Spanish in my case) section and the LAT section at the beginning of the test (so we have 1 hour total with both sections available at the same time) or if the test centre gives you the Spanish language section for 30 mins, then takes it away and gives the LAT paper for 30 mins?
It's just that I can only just about finish both if I manage my own time and devote more minutes to the LAT section (by finishing the Spanish section quickly!).
Original post by Debs25
My daughter is reading German at New College ( along with Philosophy). She too benefited enormously from OM's son's chapter! Good luck.

Thank you! There are actually very few blogs/ videos on applying to Oxbridge for modern languages compared with other more popular courses. Oxford mum’s son’s chapter has got to be the broadest yet most detailed one, covering almost all aspects. Again a tremendous thank you to him!
Reply 9
Original post by FrancescaM.1111
Does anyone know whether on the test day we are given both a language (Spanish in my case) section and the LAT section at the beginning of the test (so we have 1 hour total with both sections available at the same time) or if the test centre gives you the Spanish language section for 30 mins, then takes it away and gives the LAT paper for 30 mins?
It's just that I can only just about finish both if I manage my own time and devote more minutes to the LAT section (by finishing the Spanish section quickly!).

Pretty sure it all comes in one paper - and you pick the ones you need - probably down to how strict your invigilation is(!)

Sorry I can’t do that as he is not interested in the student room. However if you want to ask more questions I may be able to answer them
Thank you! There are actually very few blogs/ videos on applying to Oxbridge for modern languages compared with other more popular courses. Oxford mum’s son’s chapter has got to be the broadest yet most detailed one, covering almost all aspects. Again a tremendous thank you to him!

Prsom
Original post by BarnabyK
Pretty sure it all comes in one paper - and you pick the ones you need - probably down to how strict your invigilation is(!)

Ah thank you!! Totally forgot it will come all in one paper, doing practice papers by just printing off the pages I need made me overlook this. One paper makes way more sense logistically as well! Thanks!
Original post by Oxford Mum
Sorry I can’t do that as he is not interested in the student room. However if you want to ask more questions I may be able to answer them

No problem! I was wondering how many words I should aim for in my written work in German, and what kind of topics I should be choosing, as it is all very vague on the webpage. In school our German essays are usually quite short, not surpassing 400 words, so my teachers suggested me to write up a new one on a topic of my choice. Thanks.
Reply 14
No problem! I was wondering how many words I should aim for in my written work in German, and what kind of topics I should be choosing, as it is all very vague on the webpage. In school our German essays are usually quite short, not surpassing 400 words, so my teachers suggested me to write up a new one on a topic of my choice. Thanks.

I'm submitting 2 MFL essays on the film components - my Russian one is around 300 words and so is my French one.
Hi,

I've applied for French and Beginner's Russian at Wadham.
Original post by FrancescaM.1111

I think that you're given both, but I thought (I may be wrong) that you are only allowed the 30 minutes for both so, you can't skip ahead, as it may be unfair for those who are only doing the LAT etc.
I know this may not be the right forum to ask on, but is anyone else not able to access the main forum atm? I'm getting notifactions and everything, and can access others obviously, but it just comes up as 'invalid' and does even appear on the main page.
Original post by mercyawc
I know this may not be the right forum to ask on, but is anyone else not able to access the main forum atm? I'm getting notifactions and everything, and can access others obviously, but it just comes up as 'invalid' and does even appear on the main page.

I’m not a languages student but I’ve been having the same problem and have been looking to see if anyone else has.
Reply 19
Original post by mercyawc

Original post by amgc
I’m not a languages student but I’ve been having the same problem and have been looking to see if anyone else has.

It disappeared around 12ish, I was able to access it this morning, but it disappeared pretty quickly. The last discussion was something to do with the MAT and I couldn't see any rules being broken - seems odd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending