The Student Room Group

MML application 2023

Hi, I'm looking to apply for Modern Languages in 2023 at Cambridge. I only study one language at A level, so I’ll be starting one other language from scratch. Naturally, my personal statement is basically all on the super curriculars I’ve done for the language I study at A level.
Do I also need to include anything about this second language in my personal statement? Furthermore, what should the nature of this be? Do I need to talk about any extra work I’ve done, or is it simply enough just to talk about why I want to study it? Or do I not need to reference it at all on the personal statement, and just mention it on the SAQ?
Sorry for all these quick fire questions! Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by annaspencerrr
Hi, I'm looking to apply for Modern Languages in 2023 at Cambridge. I only study one language at A level, so I’ll be starting one other language from scratch. Naturally, my personal statement is basically all on the super curriculars I’ve done for the language I study at A level.
Do I also need to include anything about this second language in my personal statement? Furthermore, what should the nature of this be? Do I need to talk about any extra work I’ve done, or is it simply enough just to talk about why I want to study it? Or do I not need to reference it at all on the personal statement, and just mention it on the SAQ?
Sorry for all these quick fire questions! Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hi! I'm also applying for MML at Cambridge. Definitely talk about the new language, as you need to convince them of your passion for wanting to study it just as much as you need to for your first language. This can be in many ways- anything to do with the language, culture, history, etc. is completely valid, and of course any books/plays/films too! I'd definitely have a look at the MML personal statements which you can find somewhere on the forum as they're really helpful to get an idea of how people approach them.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/languages/
Reply 2
Original post by jakechoice
Hi! I'm also applying for MML at Cambridge. Definitely talk about the new language, as you need to convince them of your passion for wanting to study it just as much as you need to for your first language. This can be in many ways- anything to do with the language, culture, history, etc. is completely valid, and of course any books/plays/films too! I'd definitely have a look at the MML personal statements which you can find somewhere on the forum as they're really helpful to get an idea of how people approach them.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/languages/

Hi Jake, you probably don't remember because it was a month ago but I've just seen that you replied to my post in the official thread for cambridge applicants 2024, saying you would like to discuss our applications as we are both going for MML. I'm glad to hear from another MML applicant and would be happy to get in touch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending