The Student Room Group

Gcse 2023 revision

Hey everyone, does anyone have any tips on how to get 9s at GCSE level? Thanks.
Reply 1
Practice questions and practice tests are your best friend. Not only do you get to know what vocabulary and language questions use, you can practice answering different questions over and over again which will increase your chance of getting high marks - the earlier you start doing this the more comfortable an easy it will be when the exam comes (you will be able to answer these and barely have to think about it as you will be so used to it already. Also, i recommend the CGP Complete Revision & Practice Books (here is a German one but you can get them for pretty much every subject: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/languages/german/das42-gcse-german-aqa-complete-revision) for every one of your subjects that you are studying. This will basically contains everything you need and make sure you are completely prepared. They are complete life-savers - this combined with the practice papers/questions is basically everything you need. When you come home from school go over the topics you have studied today and do a few questions or go over notes. Doing this will ensure you are confident on everything. Don't be afraid to ask teachers for help when you need it or don't understand something because you have the access to a teacher who is there to help you so use the opportunity if you need it - why not? Don't be scared to ask for help bc thats the whole point of teachers. Go through all the topics in the specifications or through the topics at the front of the CGP and make sure u understand it all and memorise definitions and the links between things to strengthen your knowledge and make sure you are prepared. Flashcards and apps like quizlet are awesome. Youtube channels i recommend for different subjects:
englisg lang + lit - mr bruff, mr salles teaches english, stacey reay
sciences (triple or combined) - free science lessons
hope this helps, i will try and include more tips and tricks below this on subjects i struggle on :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
english literature - tips and tricks
one of the best ways to memorise quotes and context is blurting - write down everything you know about the topic and then pull out a textbook and fill in everything you didn't put down in a different coloured pen
an easy to remember inspector calls quote - how sheila goes from calling her mum 'mummy' to 'mother' towards the end of the play - shows her character progression and how shes matured throughout the play
mr bruff, mr salles teaches english, stacey reay - great yt channels
make an a4 summary of each character and theme - use stacey reay for this
after blurting - write a question on the theme or character you have just blurted - helps you memorise what you have just learnt
Reply 3
english language - tips and tricks
english help - stacey reay, mr bruff, mr salles teaches english.
when analysing texts in english lang, lexical fields, literal meaning, symbolic meaning, words and their connotations, language devices and/or meanings of words (explain why they may have done this and what it shows) will help you get top marks.
don't only use what comes straight to you head; think 'outside of the box' (which probs sounds rlly cliched but do it) and try and find the deeper meaning in everything - the examiner will think you have a greater understanding and will see that you are really analysing the text.
always open the question paper first - look at all the questions in the question paper and see what they are asking you to do, then keep the things that they are asking for in the back of your mind when you are reading the insert.
when you see any language devices, methods or anything that stands out in the extract/text, highlight it (just don't highlight anything on the actual exam paper) - quick annotations.
watch and read example answers and answer the same question as them - then add what is missing into yours and really absorb the information and their ideas/methods to improve your own - search english language paper 2 exemplar answers on google and read them to try and see how you could improve yours.
write essay questions every week and give it to your teacher to critique - note down and highlight what you don't know and keep what you missed in the back of your mind and use this to improve your answers every time.
PAST PAPERS PERIOD.
also take a look at the examiner report - shows what everyone did and what the examiner thought of it - when you get to know the mistakes and the good bits and can implement this into your own answers.
Reply 4
for maths, just practice practice and practice non stop - its basically the only proper way to revise this. keep completing questions over and over again for the best chance of getting a 9
Reply 5
for languages, memorise places, verbs, how to say family members etc, how to use connectives and just make sure you are prepared for the questions and understand all the tenses. i would say languages (french in particular) and geography are the easiest subjects - for me anyways hehe.
Just read through all of them, and they're amazing tips, thank you so much! Do you have any good websites with good resources that may help me? Thanks.
Reply 7
hey,
i will insert some links below:
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ - this site is called physics and maths tutor but it contains resources for tons of subjects. it contains rlly good notes, mindmaps, defintions, questions and practice papers for every single topic in each subject and contains the things you need to revise for paper 1, paper 2 etc. Basically everything you need to master topics you are not sure of and are behind on. It is great for last minute revsion bc you dont need to make brand new notes and spend time trying to find relevant information, it contains very detailed notes and definitions for everything that you need to know and is also great for people who dont find making pretty notes the most effective way to revise. It contains a bunch of downloadable and printable resources. Bonus, its completely free :smile:
https://app.senecalearning.com/sign-up - you may already have an account for seneca from school (thats how i access it) but you can also ask your parents to create a free account for you if you dont already have access. i find it so easy to remember topics and i found it much easier and effective to learn things as the vocabulary used was so simple and easy to understand. You can add courses for pretty much every subject, for example 'Chemistry - GCSE Equations You Need To Know' - this basically contains all the equations you need to know, uses scientifically proved learning patterns to ensure you remember information and can link everything together to maintain understanding of the topic and subject. There is also more wider courses, for example one that i have almost finished now is 'Physics: Edexcel GCSE Higher' and it helps strengthen what i have learned from school and has helped me understand tricky subjects that i did not completely get the hang of beforehand. You can add multiple free courses (on my account there are 649 free courses which are relevant, accurate and also contains questions which are automatically marked. You can also pay for the full Premium experience which contains 845 courses but in complete honesty i think that the free version is awesome enough already.
https://mrbruff.com/worksheets/ - these are Mr Bruff's free worsheets for English. They are a slay imo. Mr Bruff is a national treasure. Protect the man at all costs.
https://corbettmaths.com/ - free free freeeee. this is a fantastic tool to help you learn the topics more clearly. i always feel like i can remember everything so much more easily after watching his videos. he also has loads of free resources too which i feel are literal godsends for revision. if u want u can buy his GCSE revision cards which are:
93 detailed, engaging Revision Cards for GCSE Higher or Foundation
Designed for the New GCSE Edexcel, AQA, OCR
Each card has its own Video there are over 10 hours in total!
Each card has its own set of GCSE exam questions and solutions
Each Revision Card is postcard size (A6 14.8cm by 10.5cm) and printed on very high quality card
(totally did not just copy and paste those 5 bullet points from his website bc im lazy lol)
https://sparxmaths.com/ - the actual site is not free however it is what my school provides us with and is proven to boost grades. my school switched from Hegarty Maths to Sparx maths and i do feel like this website is more effective however they are both awesome (im also pretty sure you have to pay for both - your school has to register interest and get a subscription. however Mr Hegarty has a youtube channel which contains free videos which may be helpful - https://www.youtube.com/@HEGARTYMATHS). Sparx actually have free Crossover Workbooks which contain downloadable questions and answers which may be helpful: https://sparxmaths.com/resources/crossover-workbooks
However the actual account is not free as your school would have to register interest. For free maths help tho, i recommend Corbett Maths the most, acc icon that man :smile:

hope this helped and i dont hesitate to ask any more questions bc idm :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Albyr7
Hey everyone, does anyone have any tips on how to get 9s at GCSE level? Thanks.

Heya!
Make sure you understand the content and do lots of practice questions :h: When doing questions, make sure to go over the marks scheme and note down why you have lost the marks and how you can improve for next time. If possible, do questions by topic first before doing a full past paper to ensure you understand the topics.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Has anyone tried out the auto-marked exam questions & exam papers on the Seneca Premium package?
Original post by themightystudy
Has anyone tried out the auto-marked exam questions & exam papers on the Seneca Premium package?

Yes, I have. To be honest, it does help a lot as you can see the mark scheme and the key words that examiners are looking for, however, sometimes the AI is a bit stingy with its marking. Overall, it is worth it for multiple subjects like the sciences and sometimes religious studies.

Quick Reply

Latest