The Student Room Group

What should I study to get a career in EEE(robotics)/quantitive finance

Background
I am in Sixth form (Y12) in the UK. I study Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science

I recently learnt about this quant field and it interested me because I have always like math's, I started programming a few years ago really enjoy it and I recently started learning to trade which has exposed me to the financial markets and basic economics which I find interesting. So now I'm thinking a job in the quant sector would be amazing.

I am also interested in electronic engineering in like robotics, devices and human and machine integration (a bit of a pipe dream)

It is around the time now in the UK where we are being told to think about University and our careers so I would like some advice on what I should study.

I have found different courses which I would be happy to study but none of them really have all of my interests because I would like to keep my options open.

These are links to some of the courses: electronic and electrical engineering, computing with finance and management, electronic and information engineering.

Questions
1. Is it best to study a degree with 1 job sector or career in mind or is me trying to keep my options open a good idea?

2. How can I find a course that applies to all my interests?

3. Can I get into the quant sector by doing engineering degrees like I have linked above and then doing a financial engineering masters?

4. What are the best courses I can study to get into the quant sector?

5. What are the best courses for robotics?

6. How do I know if I am truly interested in something.
(👇Rambling 👇)
I feel I am interested in all theses jobs/industries/topics (whatever you see it as) but then I sometimes feel like I just like them because they are cool or something. I don't know. Its like when I was picking my a levels people were like do you REALLY LIKE these subjects and I think yeh I do(but its not like I'm gonna kill myself doing them. I just enjoy them. I mean everything gets boring at a point.)

Thank you very for much! : )

p.s. for reading a near essay
Original post by L1NKSK1
Background
I am in Sixth form (Y12) in the UK. I study Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science

I recently learnt about this quant field and it interested me because I have always like math's, I started programming a few years ago really enjoy it and I recently started learning to trade which has exposed me to the financial markets and basic economics which I find interesting. So now I'm thinking a job in the quant sector would be amazing.

I am also interested in electronic engineering in like robotics, devices and human and machine integration (a bit of a pipe dream)

It is around the time now in the UK where we are being told to think about University and our careers so I would like some advice on what I should study.

I have found different courses which I would be happy to study but none of them really have all of my interests because I would like to keep my options open.

These are links to some of the courses: electronic and electrical engineering, computing with finance and management, electronic and information engineering.

Questions
1. Is it best to study a degree with 1 job sector or career in mind or is me trying to keep my options open a good idea?

2. How can I find a course that applies to all my interests?

3. Can I get into the quant sector by doing engineering degrees like I have linked above and then doing a financial engineering masters?

4. What are the best courses I can study to get into the quant sector?

5. What are the best courses for robotics?

6. How do I know if I am truly interested in something.
(👇Rambling 👇)
I feel I am interested in all theses jobs/industries/topics (whatever you see it as) but then I sometimes feel like I just like them because they are cool or something. I don't know. Its like when I was picking my a levels people were like do you REALLY LIKE these subjects and I think yeh I do(but its not like I'm gonna kill myself doing them. I just enjoy them. I mean everything gets boring at a point.)

Thank you very for much! : )

p.s. for reading a near essay

I won't answer all these but there a few I think are important to answer:

1) Even degrees that appear to be aimed at a specific job sector allow you to have other options. I'm a 5th year Mechanical Engineering student but before attending University had an interview for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering course. The person who interviewed me was working in the EEE departmenr as an Engineer but had studied Astrophysics and worked as a Physicist for a time before that. Transferable skills are what matter.

2) You can't because there is only so much that can be put into a course.

6) You just know. I became quite bored of my course once I reached 4th year, however, once I started my dissertation and started a class called "Energt Systems Modelling" I just felt so much better and had a very clear picture of where my interests were. I used to say my interest was Renewables. Now I say Energy Systems and the Built Environment. Some people just choose to do things they are good at (and you have to be open to this when job hunting, stretching your interests a bit).

My approach has continually been: start broad and narrow it down. That includes University (Mechanical exposes you to quite a few disciplines and the skills are transferable across all STEM). I've now managed to hone down to a niche: it just takes time, but you will realise when it comes up.
Reply 2
Original post by Joseph McMahon
My approach has continually been: start broad.

thank you for your answer and taking time out of your day.

1. Would you say maths and computer science would be broad because it is basically like alevel (broad subjects) and it allows me to learn about more applied subjects which I am interested in such as modules on robotic manipulation or robotic engineering (same thing different names at different unis) and financial computation?

Also if I an to study maths and computer science can I still get into engineering, mainly robotics and electronic devices.

I think I can get into robotics because there is a software side to it (computer science)

But with the electronic devices it's mainly designed and components. Could I take additional modules from engineering departments to bolster my skills. What do you think?

Tldr- basically can you get into the engineering job sector(robotics and electronic devices) by doing maths and computer science

Edit : I mean doing maths and computer science at university
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by L1NKSK1
Tldr- basically can you get into engineering (robotics and electronic devices) by doing maths and computer science

Yes but check the specific requirements for the courses that interest you. Many universities have physics A level as a requirement, and some don't. Most have maths A level as a requirement. These requirements can easily be checked directly on the course webpage or on UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by DaydreamLagoon
Yes but check the specific requirements for the courses that interest you. Many universities have physics A level as a requirement, and some don't. Most have maths A level as a requirement. These requirements can easily be checked directly on the course webpage or on UCAS.

Thank you for your reply. I have made an edit to my post, because I was not clear enough
Original post by L1NKSK1
Thank you for your reply. I have made an edit to my post, because I was not clear enough

Oh right. Yeah I reckon you can get into electronics with a maths and computer science degree. After quickly looking at a few job listings for electronics engineering, most of them require experience with electronics so that is something you have to consider. You could try working with electronics in a summer internship or perhaps look for courses that include modules relating to electronics or robotics if possible.
Original post by L1NKSK1
thank you for your answer and taking time out of your day.

1. Would you say maths and computer science would be broad because it is basically like alevel (broad subjects) and it allows me to learn about more applied subjects which I am interested in such as modules on robotic manipulation or robotic engineering (same thing different names at different unis) and financial computation?

Also if I an to study maths and computer science can I still get into engineering, mainly robotics and electronic devices.

I think I can get into robotics because there is a software side to it (computer science)

But with the electronic devices it's mainly designed and components. Could I take additional modules from engineering departments to bolster my skills. What do you think?

Tldr- basically can you get into the engineering job sector(robotics and electronic devices) by doing maths and computer science

Edit : I mean doing maths and computer science at university

Lead Engineering here who occasionally hires graduates. I completed BEng in EEE a few years ago.
As with many things in life - it depends. Here it depends on your career goals.
I just want to mention that EEE could be more demanding than Computer Science, but also more practical than Maths.
You will study maths to a good degree on EEE and perhaps to a lesser degree on CS courses.
The courses in Mathematics are... pure maths, no applications, some simulations at most. So unless you gain some experience before you graduate you may struggle getting into engineering, however it's not impossible at all as there are many other factors at play rather than the course itself.

Here's my take on the subjects of choice and your potential engineering career opportunities.
Math - very broad subject, but could be good for either - software, controls, R&D of any sort that involves good portion of maths and scientific research such as complex algorithms, machine learning (the concept, not much of application itself), etc.
Computer science - software development mainly, potentially IT related roles such as network engineering and security (penetration testing for instance), but depending on your units and project choices you could be doing robotics and automation as well, don't see a problem here, but you'll need to brush up on some electronic engineering fundamentals (you still need to know how the thing that you are programming operates on hardware level).
Electrical and Electronic Engineering - Electronic hardware design engineer (analogue and/or digital circuit design, down to component level), firmware design engineer (microprocessors, fpga, etc. very low level programming). Obviously you will have a good understanding of electronics which will open a lot of doors for many thing that you mentioned including robotics and automation, which is often a whole unit you can pick on your 3rd year (if I recall correctly).
The caveat with EEE is that it is also Electrical Engineering, so will cover a lot of power applications, energy, renewables, etc. Which may not be in your sight of interests.

I mean I am biased here a little since I did EEE, so I can recommend mainly because it will give you a straight path to robotics, but you could still get there if you do CS. Math - possible, but not easy.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending