The Student Room Group

MA Economics at Uni of Surrey?

I graduated in 2022 with a 2:1 in BSc Biomedical Sciences from Royal Holloway. I enjoyed the subject but due to an addiction to cannabis, I didn't study (would have probably gotten a 1st) and didn't care about my job prospects. Since graduating and working in related jobs, I have realized that I do not want to work in these jobs related to my undergrad (unfulfilling and low pay).

I have been sober since graduating and want to do something with my life. I want to pursue a career within finance but am not set on a particular career path in particular as of now. I applied for graduate schemes related to finance such as accountancy and tax but have not been successful in getting into assessment centres.

Having researched into economics and the modules taught at universities I have become very fascinated by the subject and believe that now that I am sober, I can do well in a masters which would boost my career prospects by increasing my chances of getting into finance related graduate schemes as well as jobs that I wouldn't be able to get into with my undergrad degree.

I didn't get good A Levels (B - Biology, C - Chemistry, C - Maths). I got an A* in GCSE Maths. My undergrad was not very quantitative. It had no dedicated modules but involved a few formulas that I learnt in A Level biology. All of the MSc Economics I have looked at require a quantitative degree apart from universities that are not worth going to. The only MSc that I can get into that might be worth going to is City UoL but the degree isn't accredited and the website for the course seems like the course is new and a cash grab.

I cannot afford to do a PGDip then a Masters at a decent uni. Finance degrees are also out of my budget.

It seems like the best option would be the MA from Uni of surrey which is built as a conversion course which I can get into and can afford. The uni is ranked pretty decently and is better than my undergraduate uni. Looking at the course, the modules are well rounded, has finance modules, and has some quantitative modules which I think would be beneficial for jobs. It is also accredited by CIMA so I can get exemptions if I want to go down that path (it is my backup plan to self study it).

My concerns are:
Would employers look at an MA in Economics less favourably than an MSc in economics?
Since it is built as a conversion course, does it carry less weight than a normal masters so would be essentially a PgDip?
Would employers bother to look into my course and see that it is essentially a conversion course?

What is the teaching like at postgraduate economics at Surrey?

Thanks
Original post by bignjuicy
I graduated in 2022 with a 2:1 in BSc Biomedical Sciences from Royal Holloway. I enjoyed the subject but due to an addiction to cannabis, I didn't study (would have probably gotten a 1st) and didn't care about my job prospects. Since graduating and working in related jobs, I have realized that I do not want to work in these jobs related to my undergrad (unfulfilling and low pay).

I have been sober since graduating and want to do something with my life. I want to pursue a career within finance but am not set on a particular career path in particular as of now. I applied for graduate schemes related to finance such as accountancy and tax but have not been successful in getting into assessment centres.

Having researched into economics and the modules taught at universities I have become very fascinated by the subject and believe that now that I am sober, I can do well in a masters which would boost my career prospects by increasing my chances of getting into finance related graduate schemes as well as jobs that I wouldn't be able to get into with my undergrad degree.

I didn't get good A Levels (B - Biology, C - Chemistry, C - Maths). I got an A* in GCSE Maths. My undergrad was not very quantitative. It had no dedicated modules but involved a few formulas that I learnt in A Level biology. All of the MSc Economics I have looked at require a quantitative degree apart from universities that are not worth going to. The only MSc that I can get into that might be worth going to is City UoL but the degree isn't accredited and the website for the course seems like the course is new and a cash grab.

I cannot afford to do a PGDip then a Masters at a decent uni. Finance degrees are also out of my budget.

It seems like the best option would be the MA from Uni of surrey which is built as a conversion course which I can get into and can afford. The uni is ranked pretty decently and is better than my undergraduate uni. Looking at the course, the modules are well rounded, has finance modules, and has some quantitative modules which I think would be beneficial for jobs. It is also accredited by CIMA so I can get exemptions if I want to go down that path (it is my backup plan to self study it).

My concerns are:
Would employers look at an MA in Economics less favourably than an MSc in economics?
Since it is built as a conversion course, does it carry less weight than a normal masters so would be essentially a PgDip?
Would employers bother to look into my course and see that it is essentially a conversion course?

What is the teaching like at postgraduate economics at Surrey?

Thanks

Hi - I think this is a pretty tricky question. I guess it would be helpful to know a bit more about what sort of jobs/employers you generally have in mind after potentially doing this MA, 'finance' is very broad and can include things ranging from accounting, retail banking, investment banking, wealth management, tax, etc, even consulting to an extent.

The bit I'm struggling to understand is that if you're potentially thinking of reapplying for accounting/tax grad schemes after doing an MA, I'm not sure the MA will give you a leg up here. These areas are famous for placing very little weight on what you get your degree in, where you get it from, if you have a master's, etc. So I'm struggling to see how getting an MA in a mostly unrelated subject will help you.

If you're wanting to go into other financial fields like banking, investment management, etc, while a MA may give you a leg up to some extent, these grad schemes are even more competitive, hire mostly from their intern cohorts rather than postgrad students, and generally have minimum a-level requirements well-above what you got. So again, I'm struggling to see the the value in paying for an MA here.

The one area where the MA might give you an advantage could be as an economist. Graduate economist positions in the civil service generally require either an undergrad or master's in economics, which you'd meet. Although I'd recommend checking that the degree meets their minimum requirements before doing the degree just to be sure. It's also worth recognising that while public sector economists are paid decently compared to other jobs generally, the pay is quite poor compared private sector economist/banking/investment management/etc roles. I'm not sure your background would meet the more technical nature often required for private sector economist roles.

Whether an employer will care about MSc vs MA, or that it's all conversion course, will depend on what sort of graduate roles you're interested in applying to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending