The Student Room Group

Partial derivatives

Hi, my question is about part iii of this question, I don’t know why but I just don’t get it, I t seems to lead me to a=b=0 which just seems wrong,

Anyone know what to do for it? Here is my working for the other two question auf it’s relevant, not a clue if they are correct or not
C3BAFABD-A31B-488B-A2C1-0FC236376B36.jpg.jpeg
E424B9E3-3FAC-440A-9AA9-7F2467FEB1C9.jpg.jpeg
Original post by grhas98
Hi, my question is about part iii of this question, I don’t know why but I just don’t get it, I t seems to lead me to a=b=0 which just seems wrong,

Anyone know what to do for it? Here is my working for the other two question auf it’s relevant, not a clue if they are correct or not
C3BAFABD-A31B-488B-A2C1-0FC236376B36.jpg.jpeg
E424B9E3-3FAC-440A-9AA9-7F2467FEB1C9.jpg.jpeg

ii) looks ok and differentiating f(x,y) gives the original P and Q. For iii) using ii) you must have
arctan(...) = c
so ... You could check by solving
P dx + Q dy = 0
directly though they want you do use the solution for f(x,y).
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
ii) looks ok and differentiating f(x,y) gives the original P and Q. For iii) using ii) you must have
arctan(...) = c
so ... You could check by solving
P dx + Q dy = 0
directly though they want you do use the solution for f(x,y).

So does it want be to find c?, I’m not sure what to do exactly, does df=0 imply that f(x,y) Is constant and then I just solve for y?
Original post by grhas98
So does it want be to find c?, I’m not sure what to do exactly, does df=0 imply that f(x,y) Is constant and then I just solve for y?

Its just the integral curves. It wants ypu to find the function y(x) which will contain a constant.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Its just the integral curves. It wants ypu to find the function y(x) which will contain a constant.

So just rearrange 0= -arctan(…) + c for y?
Original post by grhas98
So just rearrange 0= -arctan(…) + c for y?

Yes. If you solved
P dx + Q dy = 0
(not much more work), you end up with the same result.

Quick Reply

Latest