The Student Room Group

chem question

Potassium chlorate(V), KCIO3 decomposes on heating as follows.
2KCIO3(s) -› 2KCl(s) + 302(g)
What is the maximum volume of oxygen, measured in dm' at room temperature and
pressure, which could be obtained by heating 0.50 mol potassium chlorate(V)?
[Molar]
(edited 1 year ago)
Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the maximum volume of oxygen at room temperature and pressure.

First, we need to calculate the moles of oxygen produced from 0.50 mol of potassium chlorate (V):

0.50 mol KCIO3 x (2 mol O2/2 mol KCIO3) = 0.50 mol O2

Next, we need to calculate the volume of 0.50 mol of oxygen at room temperature and pressure using the ideal gas law:

V = nRT/P

where V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant (0.0821 atm∙L/mol∙K), T is the temperature (298 K) and P is the pressure (1 atm).

V = (0.50 mol)(0.0821 atm∙L/mol∙K)(298 K)/(1 atm)

V = 11.83 L

Therefore, the maximum volume of oxygen, measured in dm3, which could be obtained by heating 0.50 mol potassium chlorate(V) at room temperature and pressure is 11.83 dm3.

Hope it helps.

😊
Original post by anton31
Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the maximum volume of oxygen at room temperature and pressure.

First, we need to calculate the moles of oxygen produced from 0.50 mol of potassium chlorate (V):

0.50 mol KCIO3 x (2 mol O2/2 mol KCIO3) = 0.50 mol O2

Next, we need to calculate the volume of 0.50 mol of oxygen at room temperature and pressure using the ideal gas law:

V = nRT/P

where V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant (0.0821 atm∙L/mol∙K), T is the temperature (298 K) and P is the pressure (1 atm).

V = (0.50 mol)(0.0821 atm∙L/mol∙K)(298 K)/(1 atm)

V = 11.83 L

Therefore, the maximum volume of oxygen, measured in dm3, which could be obtained by heating 0.50 mol potassium chlorate(V) at room temperature and pressure is 11.83 dm3.

Hope it helps.

😊

thanks a lot. please can you tell me how can i ace my exams for mole calculations? i’m struggling so bad. what can improve this?
Reply 3
Original post by zunainahaque
thanks a lot. please can you tell me how can i ace my exams for mole calculations? i’m struggling so bad. what can improve this?

Mole calculations can be challenging for many students, but with the right strategies and study techniques, you can improve your understanding and ace your exams. Here are some tips to help you:

- Understand the basic concepts: Review the fundamental concepts of mole calculations, such as Avogadro's number, molar mass, and stoichiometry. Ensure you understand the relationships between these concepts and how to apply them in different situations.
- Practice, practice, practice: Do as many practice problems as possible to build your skills and confidence. Use textbooks, online resources, and practice exams to find a variety of problems to solve. As you work through the problems, pay attention to your mistakes and try to understand why you made them.
- Use visual aids: Mole calculations often involve a lot of numbers and equations, so using visual aids can be helpful. Draw diagrams, use graphs, or create tables to help you organise your information and keep track of your calculations.
- Review with a study group: Studying with peers can be a great way to reinforce your understanding of the material. Work through problems together, ask questions, and share your insights.
- Seek help if you need it: Don't hesitate to ask your teacher, tutor, or classmates for help if you are struggling. They can offer insights or strategies you haven't considered or provide additional resources to help you study.

Remember that success in any subject takes time, effort, and persistence. With these tips and a dedicated study approach, you can improve your skills and ace your exams for mole calculations.

Quick Reply

Latest