The Student Room Group

PAG 1.2 chemistry A-Level OCR A

Hi,
Can someone please help me with these two questions on pag 1.2 on the determination of the relative atomic mass of magnesium.

Q1) assuming room temperature and pressure calculate the amount in mol of hydrogen gas that you collected.Using the equation below deduce the amount in mol of magnesium that you reacted.

Q2) Using the measured mass of magnesium that was reacted calculate the relative atomic mass of magnesium.

Please can someone help me thanks
Original post by Davejoyrichards
Hi,
Can someone please help me with these two questions on pag 1.2 on the determination of the relative atomic mass of magnesium.

Q1) assuming room temperature and pressure calculate the amount in mol of hydrogen gas that you collected.Using the equation below deduce the amount in mol of magnesium that you reacted.

Q2) Using the measured mass of magnesium that was reacted calculate the relative atomic mass of magnesium.

Please can someone help me thanks

1) calculate n = volume/ Vm (24000 cm3) or (24dm3) depend on your units for hydrogen, use mole ratio
2) Mr = mass /moles
Original post by BankaiGintoki
1) calculate n = volume/ Vm (24000 cm3) or (24dm3) depend on your units for hydrogen, use mole ratio
2) Mr = mass /moles

Okay thank you.

For the first question would it be the volume of hydrogen I have got and then divide it by 24dm^3 .
Okay thank you.

For the first question would it be the volume of hydrogen I have got and then divide it by 24dm^3 .

If the volume of hydrogen gas was measured in dm3, than yes
If the volume of hydrogen gas was measured in dm3, than yes

Yes I have worked that out now thank you!

I also have another question it says
Using the measured mass of magnesium that was reacted ( which was 0.060g) calculate the relative atomic mass of magnesium how would do I that question please?
Yes I have worked that out now thank you!

I also have another question it says
Using the measured mass of magnesium that was reacted ( which was 0.060g) calculate the relative atomic mass of magnesium how would do I that question please?

The equation mass = moles x Mr
Mr = Mass/moles
Mass is what you recorded
Moles is what you worked out from previous question
(edited 7 months ago)
The equation mass = moles x Mr
Mr = Mass/moles
Mass is what you recorded
Moles is what you worked out from previous question

Oh okay thank you
I have another question on percentage uncertainty I have also posted that separately could you help me that as well please ?

Quick Reply

Latest