The Student Room Group

Enthalpy change

Why is the temp change here 6.9 and not 279.9K i thought u measure temp change in kelvin?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Rohan007best
Why is the temp change here 6.9 and not 279.9K i thought u measure temp change in kelvin?

Hi, I think the temperature change is always measured in degrees. Even if you did measure it in kelvin, it wouldn't make a difference as its the temperature change thats being measured, not the overall final temperature.

E.g. if you had a temperature change from 10 to 16.9 degrees celsius, this would be a temperature change of 283K to 289.9K - which would still be a difference of 6.9.
Reply 2
Original post by Biolover2020
Hi, I think the temperature change is always measured in degrees. Even if you did measure it in kelvin, it wouldn't make a difference as its the temperature change thats being measured, not the overall final temperature.

E.g. if you had a temperature change from 10 to 16.9 degrees celsius, this would be a temperature change of 283K to 289.9K - which would still be a difference of 6.9.

but if u change to kelvin in this question the enthalpy of neautralisatiob value becomes a lot bigger
but if u change to kelvin in this question the enthalpy of neautralisatiob value becomes a lot bigger

Hi, it says in the screenshot that youve attached that the 'temperature change in K is equal to the temperature change in degrees Celsius'. It is the same as its the difference in temperature.
Reply 4
Original post by Biolover2020
Hi, it says in the screenshot that youve attached that the 'temperature change in K is equal to the temperature change in degrees Celsius'. It is the same as its the difference in temperature.

hi im still confused as if its the same in kelvin then if u +273 to change degrees c to kelvin and use that figure in q=MCdeltaT ur 1 value is bigger so when u finish the question and divide the q value by n your answer will be bigger then the one they have written
Reply 5
hi im still confused as if its the same in kelvin then if u +273 to change degrees c to kelvin and use that figure in q=MCdeltaT ur 1 value is bigger so when u finish the question and divide the q value by n your answer will be bigger then the one they have written

im not sure what youre saying but
if temperature rises from 20.0 degress celcius to 23.0 degress celcius that is a (23.0-20.0=) 3 degress celcius change temperature
in kelvin, the temperature rise is from 298K to 301K that is a (301-298=) 3 kelvin change in temperature

you add 298 to a value of temperature in celcius, not the temperature change
1 Kelvin is equal to 1 degree C so a 20 degree temperature change is also 20 K temperature change
Reply 7
Original post by bigplongus
im not sure what youre saying but
if temperature rises from 20.0 degress celcius to 23.0 degress celcius that is a (23.0-20.0=) 3 degress celcius change temperature
in kelvin, the temperature rise is from 298K to 301K that is a (301-298=) 3 kelvin change in temperature

you add 298 to a value of temperature in celcius, not the temperature change

oh, basically what I'm saying is for the formula q=MCdeltaT u measure the change in temp in kelvin right because thats what I was taught and I was taught and to convert degrees c to kelvin I was told to +273 so what I'm saying is the change in temp why is it 6.9 instead of (6.9 +273 to get it into K) does that make sense? So the temp change is 6.9 here I was just confused on whether it had to be in K or not but I get why we use the 6.9 now as the change in temp in degrees c is the same as the change in temp in K right?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
oh, basically what I'm saying is for the formula q=MCdeltaT u measure the change in temp in kelvin right because thats what I was taught and I was taught and to convert degrees c to kelvin I was told to +273 so what I'm saying is the change in temp why is it 6.9 instead of (6.9 +273 to get it into K) does that make sense? So the temp change is 6.9 here I was just confused on whether it had to be in K or not but I get why we use the 6.9 now as the change in temp in degrees c is the same as the change in temp in K right?

yh change in celcius is the same as the change in kelvin

Quick Reply

Latest