The Student Room Group

Physics Gases A Level Question

Could someone please do part b on the attached question......
Reply 1
Original post by New1
Could someone please do part b on the attached question......

This is the question:
Original post by New1
This is the question:

Do you know how many oxygen molecules are in 1 mole of oxygen?

Spoiler

You are told the mass of 1 mole of oxygen is 0.032 kg.

Using the answer to the above question, you would get the mass of 1 oxygen molecule.
Reply 3
Right, there are 6.02*10^23 molecules in 1 mole of gas. So you do 0.032/(6.02*10^23) to get 5.3*10^-26kg. However, this is wrong and the actual answer is 2.66*10^-26kg (half of this). This is the part I am confused about as to why this method is wrong...
it says 2 moles of gas are present however this gives me the same incorrect answer.

try your answer to a) / avogadros constant. then put that amount of moles in a ratio of moles:mass with the information given.
Reply 5
Original post by user8937264980
it says 2 moles of gas are present however this gives me the same incorrect answer.

try your answer to a) / avogadros constant. then put that amount of moles in a ratio of moles:mass with the information given.

I think the question's wording is wrong and it might have meant to say that the mass of the oxygen cylinder is 0.032kg, and using this mass and equating it to 2 moles would give you the right answer. Oh well, thanks for your help guys!
Original post by New1
Right, there are 6.02*10^23 molecules in 1 mole of gas. So you do 0.032/(6.02*10^23) to get 5.3*10^-26kg. However, this is wrong and the actual answer is 2.66*10^-26kg (half of this). This is the part I am confused about as to why this method is wrong...

Original post by New1
I think the question's wording is wrong and it might have meant to say that the mass of the oxygen cylinder is 0.032kg, and using this mass and equating it to 2 moles would give you the right answer. Oh well, thanks for your help guys!

TSR_Ideal_gas_01.jpg
After seeing the working given in the book, I can safely say that the working is incorrect. and the answer is wrong.

The question already stated that the mass of one mole of oxygen is 0.032 kg and this is NOT the mass of oxygen in the cylinder.

Your work is correct. Don’t worry. You can check the mass of 1 oxygen molecule online and see that you are right.

Good work. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest