The Student Room Group

Balancing Equations

Write a balanced equation for the reaction of iron with chlorine to produce solid iron(III) chloride, FeCl3. Include state symbols.

I get the equation but how do I know the state symbols?
Original post by K719
Write a balanced equation for the reaction of iron with chlorine to produce solid iron(III) chloride, FeCl3. Include state symbols.

I get the equation but how do I know the state symbols?

Iron is a transition metal so is solid at RTP (all transition metals are solid at RTP, except mercury)
Using your group 7 knowledge: fluorine, chlorine are gases, bromine is liquid, iodine is solid (at RTP)
The salt is solid.
Assume RTP, as the state depends on the temperature, which is unknown
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Iron is a transition metal so is solid at RTP (all transition metals are solid at RTP, except mercury)
Using your group 7 knowledge: fluorine, chlorine are gases, bromine is liquid, iodine is solid (at RTP)
The salt is solid.
Assume RTP, as the state depends on the temperature, which is unknown

Thank you!!!
Hi @K719,

Thank you for posting in the Chemistry Forum!

I've updated the title of your thread to ‘Balancing Equations" and added an ‘All Levels’ label for better clarity. While you did receive responses, it's advisable to be more specific in your query to receive a faster response.

Wishing you an excellent weekend, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or if anything else is unclear.

5hyl33n
Reply 4
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi @K719,

Thank you for posting in the Chemistry Forum!

I've updated the title of your thread to ‘Balancing Equations" and added an ‘All Levels’ label for better clarity. While you did receive responses, it's advisable to be more specific in your query to receive a faster response.

Wishing you an excellent weekend, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or if anything else is unclear.

5hyl33n

Ok thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest