The Student Room Group

sketching mod functions

h(x) = 2(X+3)^2 -8
sketch the curve with the equation y= h(-|x|)

I am struggling.
The book says, for h(|x|) to sketch the graph of h(x) for x>= 0. That's a quadratic curve starting at y=10,

Then it says to reflect it in the y-axis. So then there'd be a V ish shape. Then if I did -ve of that graph it would look identical to what I have.

The book's answer is the original curve + its reflection from y= -8 t0 10.

How come?
Reply 1
Original post by maggiehodgson
h(x) = 2(X+3)^2 -8

I am struggling.
The book says, for h(|x|) to sketch the graph of h(x) for x>= 0. That's a quadratic curve starting at y=10,

Then it says to reflect it in the y-axis. So then there'd be a V ish shape. Then if I did -ve of that graph it would look identical to what I have.

How come?

If would help to see your curve/the book answer/the original question, but mr desmos he says
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/aii7ctf4ho
which matches?
(edited 11 months ago)
h(x) = 2(X+3)^2 -8

I am struggling.

How come?

Just to add a small tip here. When needing to sketch a modulus graph whose shape is not immediately obvious, it can help to build the graph up via a series of thumbnail sketches, in this case:

mod(x)
-mod(x)
-mod(x) + 3
(-mod(x) + 3)^2
2(-mod(x) + 3)^2
2(-mod(x) + 3)^2 - 8
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
If would help to see your curve/the book answer/the original question, but mr desmos he says
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/aii7ctf4ho
which matches?

Here is the question and answer
Reply 4
Original post by old_engineer
Just to add a small tip here. When needing to sketch a modulus graph whose shape is not immediately obvious, it can help to build the graph up via a series of thumbnail sketches, in this case:

mod(x)
-mod(x)
-mod(x) + 3
(-mod(x) + 3)^2
2(-mod(x) + 3)^2
2(-mod(x) + 3)^2 - 8

As you can see this is what I try to do but the mod x bit troubles me in this particular question
As you can see this is what I try to do but the mod x bit troubles me in this particular question

Maybe try something similar but starting with mod(x) rather than applying the mod function later.
Reply 6
Here is the question and answer

So the key thing is to sketch h(x) for negative x (the -|x| part) then reflect in the y axis (as its |x|) which is what they seem to have done.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Maybe try something similar but starting with mod(x) rather than applying the mod function later.

What am I doing wrong?
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
So the key thing is to sketch h(x) for negative x (the -|x| part) then reflect in the y axis (as its |x|) which is what they seem to have done.

This is from the aqa text book from which the question came. What am I mis interpreting in my working
Reply 9
This is from the aqa text book from which the question came. What am I mis interpreting in my working

As per the previous post you want to sketch h(x) when x is negative, then reflect in the y axis. A quick check of the value of the function for x=-1 and 2 say
* h(-|-1|) = h(-|1|) = h(-1). So when x is negative h(-|x|) = h(x) so sketch the quadratic h(x) for x<0
* h(-|2|) = h(-2). So when x is positive h(-|x|) = h(-x). So reflect the quadratic in the y axis for x>0
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
As per the previous post you want to sketch h(x) when x is negative, then reflect in the y axis. A quick check of the value of the function for x=-1 and 2 say
* h(-|-1|) = h(-|1|) = h(-1). So when x is negative h(-|x|) = h(x) so sketch the quadratic h(x) for x<0
* h(-|2|) = h(-2). So when x is positive h(-|x|) = h(-x). So reflect the quadratic in the y axis for x>0

OK So when its -|X| you disregard the graph to the right of the y-axis and then continue. Thanks
OK So when its -|X| you disregard the graph to the right of the y-axis and then continue. Thanks

All good, but if stuck without a suitable rule of thumb in an exam you can always build towards the required graph using stages something like:

mod1.png
mod2.png
mod3.png
mod4.png
mod5.png
All good, but if stuck without a suitable rule of thumb in an exam you can always build towards the required graph using stages something like:

mod1.png
mod2.png
mod3.png
mod4.png
mod5.png

Thanks very much.

I had to come back to this with fresh eyes as I didn't get it to begin with. But I do today.

Quick Reply

Latest